Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

After some deep thought I think I might have nailed this.

Facebook is good if you like it and bad if you don't.

Absolutely. I people find FB useful then there's nothing wrong with that.

Personally I don't enjoy looking at pictures of people on holiday, in a restaurant, with their baby etc. I had to sit through 200 photos of a mate's trip to Japan on the weekend. I'd love to go to Japan, but **** me, the pictures of him and his missus outside temples, weird looking buildings, eating strange dishes etc bored me. I find it too dry. If someone has a funny picture of a stag do or something then I'm all for it.

I prefer Viber for speaking to mates and family who are abroad and Whatsapp for instant messaging and photo sharing. Those two platforms meet the needs that I'd otherwise have for Facebook. That's personally why I don't have it.

Viber and whatsapp sound good ... but a good majority are kinda on Fcebook and until they all transfer over it probably doesn't work for everyone ( I remember friends reunited starting for example , I signed up , nobody was on it and it was kinda pants ... few years later I stumbled back into it and found loads and loads of ex-school friends ... and then Facebook kinda came along and killed it ) 

I guess another drawback with Facebook is the fact that as my networks have  grown I now have clients on mine and even some of my children's teachers  ..it now means I have to be careful what I say sometimes (or even what friends say)   .... Google Plus had the right idea with the "circles" thing and thus you could keep work friends away from Swearing friends ( no names Rob)  .. but alas Google was too late to the party imo and I can't be arsed to use it

I agree with you on 200 photos..I'll upload a few into an album to give a flavour of a trip sometimes   ... my pet hate is people who just upload the entire holiday snaps of their sim card , blurred and sideways pictures and all ..

I still kinda start my day with a cup of coffee at my desk and a browse through Facebook feed to see what's been going on in the world and then flick to VT to see Peter's latest global conspiracy theory , read anti Tory posts in every thread from Ajax , read the first 300 lines of Levi's post and find out if Drat has been beaten to death by Des O'Connor for stealing all his material

• Like 2

social: plus.google.com

im: hangouts.google.com

and stop putting up with the inadequacies of facebook.

As Tony says, too late. The inadequacies of G+ (i.e. almost nobody I know uses it) rather outweigh those of FB.

G+ might take over eventually. But if I decided today "Right! I'm using G+ now instead of Facebook" or "Google Hangouts instead of Whatsapp" then, like I said, I'd be an internet loner, because nobody uses them.

It might happen in the long run, but it'll be a gradual thing.

• Like 1

G+ might take over eventually. But if I decided today "Right! I'm using G+ now instead of Facebook" or "Google Hangouts instead of Whatsapp" then, like I said, I'd be an internet loner, because nobody uses them.

Google + = Facebook for grown ups  :rolleyes:

Thanks Tony, I saw that in the budget but I thought I had read that long haul will be brought in line with flights to the US. so am I right in saying that non US long haul will be reduced and US will remain the same. Or did I misunderstand?

Thanks Tony, I saw that in the budget but I thought I had read that long haul will be brought in line with flights to the US. so am I right in saying that non US long haul will be reduced and US will remain the same. Or did I misunderstand?

it's done on distance if i recall  ... think this new change is for yer Beijing , Cambodia , Thailand and Caribbean   ( all the places working men go :) )

saying that East coast of America must be about the same distance as Beijing so some bits of the US may come down as well

Who said "instead"? You can install more than one app on your phone or go to more than one web page. Notifications mean you don't even have to check both, just whichever has activity on it.

Luckily, I'm not interested in what people made for lunch or what the Mail is hating on today or what sponsored posts I might be interested in or what someone's baby did which would have been funny if only I'd been there. My g+ feed is full of things which are actually interesting to me and is easy to filter for when I only want to read or write to groups like "kid's teachers" or "colleagues" or "family".

Luckily, I'm not interested in what people made for lunch or what the Mail is hating on today or what sponsored posts I might be interested in

you might want to have a word with Miss  Limpid then ;)  ..PS how was the curry 

Luckily, I'm not interested in what people made for lunch or what the Mail is hating on today or what sponsored posts I might be interested in

I've no idea, it wasn't me eating curry in a Chinese restaurant. That's a cracking example of just how poor facebook is. You don't even bother to read it properly.

I don't care what others post, I'm just not interested in sifting the huge amounts of chaff from the rare good bits, especially when it's much easier to do so on g+. I still have the facebook account as it is needed for the VT integration, that's pretty much the only reason though.

I've no idea, it wasn't me eating curry in a Chinese restaurant. That's a cracking example of just how poor facebook is. You don't even bother to read it properly.

I don't care what others post, I'm just not interested in sifting the huge amounts of chaff from the rare good bits, especially when it's much easier to do so on g+. I still have the facebook account as it is needed for the VT integration, that's pretty much the only reason though.

to be fair you can't really blame Facebook for my ineptness :)

Going back to my Facebook comment, I found that I was using it less and less and thought one day that I might as well get rid of it. I did and I don't miss it one bit. I'm not saying its a load of rubbish, because it clearly isn't and I was a big user of it from 2007/2008 to 2012. I credit FB for giving me the opportunity to nail about 10 chicks, that I met on there (or through FB dating apps). So, it has been very useful for me. However, I just found I was getting tired of it. 

Maybe it was me and my personality changing as I got older. Obviously my friends on there were getting older as well and what started out as a group of predominantly single people on my friends list has turned into a number of married couples / families etc as people grow up and settle down. Funny stag do pics have now been replaced by pictures of kids eating baby food. Its lost the appeal to me. No fault of FB, just my life and getting older in general.

I can totally see why people would find it useful. However, I no longer, at present, have a need for it. All my friends I communicate with via other methods (email, WhatsApp, text, calls, forums/message boards). I may venture back onto FB in the future but at the moment, I'm fine without it.  :)

Who said "instead"? You can install more than one app on your phone or go to more than one web page. Notifications mean you don't even have to check both, just whichever has activity on it.

Luckily, I'm not interested in what people made for lunch or what the Mail is hating on today or what sponsored posts I might be interested in or what someone's baby did which would have been funny if only I'd been there. My g+ feed is full of things which are actually interesting to me and is easy to filter for when I only want to read or write to groups like "kid's teachers" or "colleagues" or "family".

well you said stop putting up with the inadequacies of Facebook, which implies I would stop using it and use G+ instead.

I have G+ on my phone as well as google hangouts. They don't get used because nobody I know is on them.

well you said stop putting up with the inadequacies of Facebook, which implies I would stop using it and use G+ instead.

I have G+ on my phone as well as google hangouts. They don't get used because nobody I know is on them.

I don't expect many people will just switch, even though it sounds like you've already given up on facebook. (Although Whatsapp is facebook.)

You've misunderstood g+ though. While it is good for the "friends" stuff (but quiet until others move), it's much better for following things that interest you.

I don't expect many people will just switch, even though it sounds like you've already given up on facebook. (Although Whatsapp is facebook.)

You've misunderstood g+ though. While it is good for the "friends" stuff (but quiet until others move), it's much better for following things that interest you.

but then that's not a substitute for what I use Facebook for.

I know what g+ is for, but I use twitter for that more.

I would use g+ for friend stuff if anyone was on it, but they're not.

So for what I use Facebook for (is keeping in touch with friends and family who I otherwise wouldn't), G+ is nowhere near a good enough substitute because I simply couldn't do it on there due to lack of those friends and family using them.

So your claim that the inadequacies of Facebook shouldn't be tolerated and g+ should be used instead is, in this case and I expect many others, nonsense because the inadequacy of g+ (nobody I know uses it) far outweighs that.

PS what makes you say I've given up on Facebook?

Edited by Stevo985

Yes, it sounds like for you with your very specific requirements and contacts that might be true. But you are using g+, just not much until people move across, that will increase. g+ also does everything twitter does, but with better filtering and no pointless length limits.

It's good that we have a choice. I use g+ and hangouts every day. I use facebook occasionally (usually in relation to running VT) and I've not re-installed whatsapp since I last wiped my phone (arond xmas). I don't think I've lost contact with anyone that matters and I have much better access to current information on things of interest to me.

As you say, horses for courses. And again, I didn't say "instead".

PS. I may have mixed you up with another poster when replying on the app. Sorry.

• Like 1

Â