Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

jose mourinho also thought he was good enough to splash 12 million on

hes not the best going forward hence the reason for him not playing much this season, as mourinho needs attacking full backs when he has 4 centre mid's in the midfield.

i would also presume he has a higher opinion of ferreira at the moment to glen johnson who has been loaned out.

and it doesn't really suprise me that he chooses to play essien at centre back, ferreiras a full back and not the strongest tackler, where as essien can play centre back, and has the attributes to be a good centre back.

we aren't going to get full backs like miguel or dani alves, so i would settle for a player who is better than what we have and has experience in european competitions for thats where we aim to get too.

ferreira fits that bill, unless delaney can prove to be fit to play week in week out.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on about Geremi being his choice at right back, not Essien - who plays in the centre anyway.

He spent £12m on him because he knew him from Porto. He realised soon afterwards that it was a mistake and dropped him. Much in the same way that Benitez dropped Finnan and brought Josemi in only to realise that Josemi was muck too and Finnan is the regular again. Managers make mistakes. Managers with big money make big money mistakes. Ferreira was one of them. I don't want him here.

I think the only reason he was played by O'Neill at the start if the season is because we had no-one else, he has never rated Luke imo and when he bought Young it was to replace Moore.

Martin O'Neill is building his own team and the team he is going to build will propel us into european football for years to come.

He has to clear out the dead wood and the players that arent good enough and Luke Moore falls into that category.

Are you seriously telling me you think Luke is dead wood?????are you nuts??? :o :?

oh well geremi has played down the right throughtout his career, hes known to be versatile and hes always been comfy at right back

so as i say it makes sense to me why mourinho would play a more attacking player at full back, when he wants his full backs to get forward as much as possible.

yes traore won the champions league as ferreira has, but ferreira as first choice right back for porto throughout the leage campaign and for the whole of the champions league and uefa cup touraments, hes also been first choice for chelsea as well.

but anyway its irrelevant the fact is he is easily good enough for us, and would easily improve us.

we can't attract richards, finnan, dani alves, miguel etc, but we can attract players who are a level below, which is ferreira(its questionable whether he would consider joining us).

he may be overrated, but if anyone doesn't thnik ferreira is good enough for a struggling mid table team like villa, whos first choice right back is a loanee from manchester united, then they are off there rocker.

as i've said before we cannot attract anywhere near world class players, but we should be looking to get players who are better than what we currently have, ferreira is one of these sort of players.

what are the reasons not to get him?

better than what we already have: clearly

plenty of experience: yes vast experience, not just a squad player who happened to win the champions league like baros

I think the only reason he was played by O'Neill at the start if the season is because we had no-one else, he has never rated Luke imo and when he bought Young it was to replace Moore.

Martin O'Neill is building his own team and the team he is going to build will propel us into european football for years to come.

He has to clear out the dead wood and the players that arent good enough and Luke Moore falls into that category.

Are you seriously telling me you think Luke is dead wood?????are you nuts??? :o :?

No, I think he is expressing an opinion that is as equally valid as yours but hasn't resorted to personal comments.

As has been said on other threads we aren't going to make the 'next level' with some of the players that posters here think walk on water. MON will make decisons that the JPA, Luke, Olly, Davis supporters won't like but we haven't achieved much with those players have we?

As has been said on other threads we aren't going to make the 'next level' with some of the players that posters here think walk on water. MON will make decisons that the JPA, Luke, Olly, Davis supporters won't like but we haven't achieved much with those players have we?

A great point methinks and one that I agree with. There are very few players currently at Villa that I would be disappointed if MON decided to sell. Apart from Barry and Carew the rest are emminently replaceable, in fact, when it comes to the summer, I think MON will struggle to prioritise which position to fill first as there are so many to fill. I think we are in for a slow and steady rise rather than crash bang wallop.

Tell you what though if we make the wholesale changes some on this thread seem to be pointing I will be

A) very surprised

B) waiting for the 'they need time to settle, wait for after Xmas' posts in September!

It doesn't work like that in football, maybe in FM or CM but not in the Premier League.

If we have more than 4 new starters come the first game I'll be amazed and will donate £30 to VT

Tell you what though if we make the wholesale changes some on this thread seem to be pointing I will be

A) very surprised

B) waiting for the 'they need time to settle, wait for after Xmas' posts in September!

Last season we narrowly escaped relegtion this year we have flirted with it.

Lets put it like this if we dont replace more than half the team in the summer then next year we are in the s**t.

How long can we go on just narrowly missing relegation, there will be a year when we will drop.

Teams coming up from the Championship are getting better, gone be the days when the three that comes up go straight back down.

And we shouldnt rely on the fact that we are Aston Villa we are to big to go down cause Nottingham Forrest and Leeds have shown that when big teams drop they aint coming back up in a hurry.

This squad we have just isnt good enough to challenge in the prem and i agree with Steve Orchrd when he says only Barry and Carew are the only ones we should keep. We basically need a whole new team, a breath of fresh air throughout the squad, then we should be fine.

base the team around the following

Tommy

any of the four centre backs we have but Olly / Laursen for my money

Bouma

Young

Petrov

Barry

Maloney

Carew

and I think you've got 8 players that are more that capable of getting any team regardless of name to a challenging for Europe position. Then and only then can we move on towards challenging for CL. Add in Gabby (and I would say Luke but I feel he's a goner) and it's even less.

Yes we need some quality signings to build a squad but not necessarily for the starting XI

totally agree Al, but the fact we can rely on Laursen's fitness and Olly has gone AWOL means we are short and for a team challenging for top 4 (forget the UEFA for a minute) then in two years times we need at least 16 of the quality you state

reckon that it is a £60m spend over two years

base the team around the following

Tommy

any of the four centre backs we have but Olly / Laursen for my money

Bouma

Young

Petrov

Barry

Maloney

Carew

and I think you've got 8 players that are more that capable of getting any team regardless of name to a challenging for Europe position.

The exact same players I would say as well.