Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

He has the touch and the composure of a great striker, he scores goals for fun

He's also very quick.

But I'm still not sure what you would do with him at VP. Presumably yuo would play him as a first choice in a 442 - alongside JC? Or Gabby? What about Luke and Ash? Remember, MON bought Ash to play up front, not on the wing. I don't think he will be ready to throw him out just yet after spending all that money on him.

We don't want more than 4 strikers to rotate. If we buy another, Bent or whoever else, one of the above will have to make way.

I don't want to see Gabby on the wing next season. For that reason, I would prefer us to buy a winger or two rather than a striker. I would like Luke and Gabby to be given every chance to show what they can do, not be relegated to fourth choice.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

--------------------Boruc-------------------

L.Young----Alex-----Distin-----Baines

SWP----Van der vaart--Barton--Pedersen

------------Keane--------Saviola----------

i dont know about you, but would you like a team like this.......

He won't sign Saviola, have seen MO'N say in front of my very eyes that he thinks that Saviola was a quality player but isn't special any more.

He has the touch and the composure of a great striker, he scores goals for fun

But I'm still not sure what you would do with him at VP. Presumably yuo would play him as a first choice in a 442 - alongside JC? Or Gabby? What about Luke and Ash? Remember, MON bought Ash to play up front, not on the wing. I don't think he will be ready to throw him out just yet after spending all that money on him.

We don't want more than 4 strikers to rotate. If we buy another, Bent or whoever else, one of the above will have to make way.

I don't want to see Gabby on the wing next season. For that reason, I would prefer us to buy a winger or two rather than a striker. I would like Luke and Gabby to be given every chance to show what they can do, not be relegated to fourth choice.

If we do get another striker, I do think we will see Ash on the wing. He didnt cut it up front really and as soon as Gabby came in there was a difference. Ash made his name for Watford out wide and I think we should see what he can do there.

I also think that Luke Moore will drop down the list, I cant see JC being dropped unless injured. MON has a commitment to Gabby now after praising him and getting him to sign a new contract, so he will at least make the bench each game and he'd be a good option IMHO. Likliehood is that any new striker will hopefully be a prolific one and will partner JC with a similar footballing brain.

I really don't understand why people seem keen to see Luke be on the bench or even sold, do people know that Luke has scored eight goals in his last twenty one premiership matches?, that's very close to a one in every two games ratio, and half of those games he played out wide including towards the end of last season, this year he's got three goals in nine games which is of course one in every three games, those stats are impressive imo, i think with a little more quality around him we could have the 15-20 goal man right under our nose in Luke Moore, i like Bent but Luke is two years younger and for me already has more skill and one could argue is just as good a finisher as him too, it will be interesting to see what Mon does in the striker department this summer, i certainly wouldn't like to see our youth thrown out for the likes of Bellamy or Nugent that's for sure.

I really don't understand why people seem keen to see Luke be on the bench or even sold, do people know that Luke has scored eight goals in his last twenty one premiership matches?, that's very close to a one in every two games ratio, and half of those games he played out wide including towards the end of last season, this year he's got three goals in nine games which is of course one in every three games, those stats are impressive imo, i think with a little more quality around him we could have the 15-20 goal man right under our nose in Luke Moore, i like Bent but Luke is two years younger and for me already has more skill and one could argue is just as good a finisher as him too, it will be interesting to see what Mon does in the striker department this summer, i certainly wouldn't like to see our youth thrown out for the likes of Bellamy or Nugent that's for sure.
I guess that at present what I want is Carew and Gabby, but sell Luke Moore? Hell no. So I agree with a lot of this, especially the last bit, which I've highlighted. Cover for Carew perhaps, that's all.

I wouldn't want to see him leave, nor would I want to see his opportunities limited. But the fact remains that I just don't know where he would fit into MON's plans if we signed a new striker and I feel he would be the first to lose out!

We do need a striker with a bit more physical edge then normal IMO. With JPA leaving we are pretty much stuck with Carew and a lot of youngsters, and neither of those can hold roles JPA or Carew can.

Sutton is a bisquit aswell, and we should just buy someone we know will be fit and have greater potential and ability.

What i find really annoying though, is that we once again have sold a striker or a player in any position without bringing another player in first. Stupidity.

The majority of successful teams have 4 strikers to choose from. In our case we already have Gabby, Moore, Carew and arguably Young. If MON realises Young isn't suited to the role of striker, then hopefully he'll try and sign someone like Nugent. Bent is a bit overpriced, and to be honest, Nugent or some foreigner might have more potential to succeed.

Assuming we sign a forward to make up that 4, then our midfield could do with two additions. One to replace Berger (ideally Van Der Vaart or Wes Sneijder) and someone to replace/challenge McCann (e.g. Appiah, Duscher).

After that we will need a permanent right back, and I think MON might find someone better than Bardsley.

I was discussing transfers with one of my mates for quite a while last night.

Imo we don't need another striker right now. We have Moore, Carew, Gabby, Maloney and Young who can play as strikers. In the event we did get another though I would perfer us to go for someone like Nugent or an unheard of foreigner rather than spending £15m on a Darren Bent or Dean Ashton.

Midfield, specifically central midfield is where we need to be focusing our efforts. I'd like to see us sign Sidwell as I feel he is a player of tremendous quality. Mark Noble or Reo-Cocker of West Ham would also be on my hit list as well as a move for SWP.

Defence is obviously an issue, with right back being the most troublesome area. Luke Young would be a very good shout but I have a feeling MON will be looking abroad to fill this role. Also I thihnk another central defender is needed and juding by comments made by Southgate that Woodgate won't be staying with Boro I think he'd be a very good signing for us.

As far as goalkeeping goes well a move for Boruc seems on the cards which should mean bye bye Stuart Taylor.

Overall here's how I would play things:

Boruc - £4m

Woodgate - £6m

L. Young - £4m

Sidwell - Free

SWP - Loan

Reo-Cocker - £4m

Nugent - £5m

Total: £23m

I'd also offload some players, the likes of Djemba Djemba, Taylor, Hughes and Hendrie might make back the odd £3m.

EDIT: I apparently typed Moore twice up there!

Some interesting players, but this;

We have Moore, Carew, Gabby, Maloney and Moore

Firsly you have typed Moore twice, but i assume you mean Young.

Carew can very well be injured, and that leaves you with Gabby and Moore. Young and Maloney would be played out of position. Moore has just gotten back from injury aswell. IMO its quite obvious we are in dire need of an additional striker.

Imo we don't need another striker right now. We have Moore, Carew, Gabby, Maloney and Moore who can play as strikers. In the event we did get another though I would perfer us to go for someone like Nugent or an unheard of foreigner rather than spending £15m on a Darren Bent or Dean Ashton.

Is Stefan back again? :shock: ;)

Anyway, I kind of agree with you. Striker isn't our most urgent position to add a new player to.

for met is

RB: Would love Cicinho but guess we'll get Luke Young.

CM: Well, depends on but either we need a new defensive or a new attacking one of high quality. Appiah if defensive, another foreigner if attacking. It depends on if Petrov might play the holding role or not next season.

RW: SWP comes to mind. Milner would be great, IMO.

CD: Woodgate? Great player but as Laursen a bit too injury prone. I'd go for Distin on a free.

And as I've said before, if Boruc is better than Tommy and it wouldn't affect us getting more needed players then get him if we can.

Milner has really impressed again this season

i didnt want us to resign him at the beginning of the season

i do now

some of his goals and crossing have been quality and we all know hes a tireless worker

the funny thing is the newc fans still arent 100% behind him (probably not fashionable enough for them)

he would be great to have as an OPTION on the right wing

Cannot understand why someone wouldn't want Darren Bent ???

The days of quibbling whether a player is worth an extra 500k are long gone hopefully.

Look at it logically, we have just paid 8m (or 9.5 however you look at it) on a 20yr old winger who has played 20 premier league games.

So how much would you expect to pay for a 22 yr old who has already scored over 50 premier league goals and played / scored for England ???

Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal are at the present out of our reach. Liverpool is acheivable within 2 yrs, they have players like Crouch (8m , 15 goal a season man), Bellamy (6m - 10 goal a season man), Kuyt (10m - 15 goal a season man) and others.

I personally think, as said on other threads, that in 5 yrs Gabby / Moore have the potential to be as good as Withe / Shaw - but they are not yet, if we want to achieve our dream we need players like Bent / Ashton

The days of quibbling whether a player is worth an extra 500k are long gone hopefully.

Look at it logically, we have just paid 8m (or 9.5 however you look at it) on a 20yr old winger who has played 20 premier league games.

So how much would you expect to pay for a 22 yr old who has already scored over 50 premier league goals and played / scored for England ???

Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal are at the present out of our reach. Liverpool is acheivable within 2 yrs, they have players like Crouch (8m , 15 goal a season man), Bellamy (6m - 10 goal a season man), Kuyt (10m - 15 goal a season man) and others.

I personally think, as said on other threads, that in 5 yrs Gabby / Moore have the potential to be as good as Withe / Shaw - but they are not yet, if we want to achieve our dream we need players like Bent / Ashton

Don't get me wrong, Bent is a to quality plyer and I wouldn't be complaining if we got him, all I'm saying is that the £15m it would take to buy Bent would probably sort out our defense and midfield which would be better for us imo.

Think Woodgate would be a great buy, and Southgate admitted this week he may not be able to keep him.

We would then have very good options in defence.

Bouma can play LB or CB, Mellberg CB or RB, with Woodgate, Laurson and Cahill, (jury still out on Ridgewell) and addition of a RB, maybe Delaney can still be that man, we would have quality options for the next 10 yrs, defence would be done.

With all the talk over Bellamy (and it does seem to be more than talk) maybe MON sees him as the "attacking midfielder" we all want - with the others mentioned up top.

(mind you Bellamy in midfield will be sent off at least 5 times per season !)

Positions we need to strengthen in order of importance:

RB - L.Young, G.Johnson (or a foreigner)

DM - Barton, Sidwell, Reo Coker

ST - Bent, Ashton, Nugent, Defoe, Keane, Bellamy

RW - SWP, Milner (or a foreigner)

CB - Distan, Ben Haim,

GK - Gordon, Boruc

Don't see why we need a goalie unless a "peter cech" came up. Would agree with replacing taylor as no. 2 , think he is abysmal (one of the crop of young english keepers who became known just for being that !! , a la Ricard Wrigth , Nicky Weaver , Russell Hoult) but would wait and see what Olijniekiteski or howver you say it can do first.

Hows he getting on with his loan ???

Don't get me wrong, Bent is a to quality plyer and I wouldn't be complaining if we got him, all I'm saying is that the £15m it would take to buy Bent would probably sort out our defense and midfield which would be better for us imo.

I see what you mean, but I think you can relax since there will be enough money for players who can add value to the team.