Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

forget arouna kone, id have jefferson farfan! plus sidwell, plus reo coker, plus defoe, plus barton, plus wes brown

I wouldn't want any of them at villa except maybe defoe....

surely if we want to get into the top 6 we want players who aren't mediocre....by mediocre I mean Reo Coker and Sidwell (who everyone seems to want)....

Players like Kone will take us to the next level, not Sidwell and Reo Coker...

What, just because he's foreign? I don't really rate Reo-Coker that highly but Sidwell on a free would a great.

no, it's because I think Kone is a very good player....

if a player is foreign and is very good, I'd want him at Villa...if a player is British and is also very good, I'd want him at Villa...

why do you assume that I don't want British players just because I said I wanted a foreign player?

admittedly, Sidwell on a free would be good....but not if he's over priced, which I think he will be...

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forget arouna kone, id have jefferson farfan! plus sidwell, plus reo coker, plus defoe, plus barton, plus wes brown

surely if we want to get into the top 6 we want players who aren't mediocre....by mediocre I mean Reo Coker and Sidwell (who everyone seems to want)....

What, just because he's foreign? I don't really rate Reo-Coker that highly but Sidwell on a free would a great.

no, it's because I think Kone is a very good player....

if a player is foreign and is very good, I'd want him at Villa...if a player is British and is also very good, I'd want him at Villa...

why do you assume that I don't want British players just because I said I wanted a foreign player?

admittedly, Sidwell on a free would be good....but not if he's over priced, which I think he will be...

I just think there is a tendency to over-hype players from abroad simply because there's something exciting about the (relatively) unknown whereas people like Sidwell, who have proved themselves week-in week-out in the Premiership are thought less of because they're called Steve rather than Arouna and are entirely predictable in terms of what they will bring to the side.

Matuzalem - Now, this is probably one of the most exciting "unknown" players playing in Europe. Creative, attacking midfielder with a great shot and fantastic skills. Don't know if it's true, but I heard he chose Shakhtar Donetsk over Barcelona because of their training facilities so I guess there's a lot of money involved in the Ukrainian club...Probably enjoys playing CL football for Shakhtar, but when Julius Aghahowa left Shakhtar for the mighty Wigan, then surely it must be possible to get Matuzalem to Villa?

He's too old.

Like Rocafella said.

Not that many fabulous goals to be honest, but just wait for the last one. Now, wouldn't that be nice to see at Villa Park? :)

Matuzalem - Now, this is probably one of the most exciting "unknown" players playing in Europe. Creative, attacking midfielder with a great shot and fantastic skills. Don't know if it's true, but I heard he chose Shakhtar Donetsk over Barcelona because of their training facilities so I guess there's a lot of money involved in the Ukrainian club...Probably enjoys playing CL football for Shakhtar, but when Julius Aghahowa left Shakhtar for the mighty Wigan, then surely it must be possible to get Matuzalem to Villa?

He's too old.

Like Rocafella said.

Not that many fabulous goals to be honest, but just wait for the last one. Now, wouldn't that be nice to see at Villa Park? :)

WOW sign him! Simply the Best :winkold:

oops! forgot about Ashton (YES PLEASE!!)

oh, and for what its worth, no to Reo-coker, good last season but has been pretty shambolic this year. he's yet to prove that he's anywhere near good enough for me.

I like Ashton but if Carew is our main striker I don't think they will compliment each other. I still think we got the best in Carew.

Definately not Reo-Coker!

although i like gav mccann, we need another defensive mid, he has his moments, djemba will never play again and osbourne is stil young, but theres nout here so i think we will need to look on thr continent, like grella or poulsen

McCann is one of my favourite players because he gives 150% and tirelessly works for the team. However being a destroyer by itself is not enough for what we need alongside Petrov and Barry. Who is available who could replace Gav ?

Barton is by far the best midfielder palying outside the big 4 so we need to sign him

Reo Coker is also far far better than anyting we have in midfield and would be a good addition , not sure why people are so anti him ??

a left back is a must as is another centre back ..a big enough bid would surely get Bridge from chelsea , he can't be happy playing second fiddle to Cole all season long ....of course we could always move now and pre sign Bale from Saints a big enough bid and anythings possible ....

I'd also sign Nugent as i think he can play at this level and link well with Carew ...remember Carew is pacy anyway so Ashton \Nugent type player could link well with him ..i'm actually surprised MON has not tried Angel and Carew as whatever his faults Angel does link the play well ..it's not as if Carew & young are prolific at this stage so what has he got to loose ??

and of course Darren bent from Charlton should be a must

left back wise, we have that stephen o'hallaron to give a run out to, samuel is just shockingly shit, weve also got bazza for back up there!

we need another RB, get rid of sicknote delaney, imo, luke young

we need 2 CBs, show laursen the door

we need another defensive mid, gav is good, but not if we want europe, imo, vinny grella or christian poulsen

we need an attacking mid

and we need 2 big strikers

I like McCann and as a ball winner he is excellent but if we want to move on to next level we need a ball winner who can play as well. Scott Parker or Joey Barton for me, also get Sidwell on a Bosman.

I think Fabregas last night showed just how limited McCann is. I'm not saying we should go out and sign Cesc Fabregas, I doubt there are many players as good as him at what he does in the world. But that type of player (see Barton etc) would be a breath of fresh air.

Barton is nothing like Fabregas he is a class a tw@ and a thug off the pitch, someone I do not want to be associated with Villa

I meant a similar type of player. Someone to keep the side ticking over. McCann doesn't do it for me.

Gotcha but I still think Gav is the lynchpin of our side. We need to find some sort of unknown entity as all the known players of this type are with the major clubs

MARTIN O'Neill has added fuel to the fire that Craig Bellamy may be on his summer shopping list by heaping praise on Liverpool's "nutter with a putter".

O'Neill managed the controversial Welsh striker at Celtic for four months and insists he was never an ounce of trouble, and described him as "nothing short of brilliant".

He said: "He is a very good, and very intelligent player indeed.

"He has got pace but he uses the ball very well, considering that he is known for being a bit petulant. To me, he was so good to work with in the couple of months that we had.

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

"In fact, he was nothing short of brilliant for us."

Bellamy's career has never been far away from controversy but O'Neill says he can only judge on how he found the former Newcastle, Blackburn, Coventry and Norwich striker.

"We never had a problem with him. Perhaps that is because we only had him for three months - and I said to him that he might be harder to manage if we had him for four years!

"But he was on his best behaviour both on and off the field at Celtic - and he gave us a massive lift when we took him in the January from Newcastle.

"He gave his all. I don't know enough about what is happening off the pitch. There was enough publicity over that incident in Portugal, but I can only say how well he did for us."

With Bellamy coming face to face with the Villa boss at Villa Park on Sunday, O'Neill says he may also aim a cheeky reminder that the striker cost Celtic the title.

"We were two minutes away from winning the championship, which we should have done.

"I should give him a bit of stick because he had a wonderful opportunity to make it 2-0 that day at Motherwell, and as he opened up his body to sidefoot it to the goalkeeper's left, the keeper read it and made the save.

link

looks as though if hes available hes ours