Villa Lose Yet Again

JohnCresswell

Newcastle Utd 3 Aston Villa 1

FA Carling Premiership

Wednesday 31st January 2007.

Villa lose yet again, making it now only one win in 15 games.

I’m not even going to pretend I can give any sort of proper match report for this one. For me, the season ended before January – the recent run of incredibly poor form has reopened my interest slightly – as if it goes on any longer we’ll be fighting against relegation – but this was always going to be a bit of a beating for me tonight so I didn’t bother trying to listen to the game.

Newcastle had taken a 2-0 lead within seven minutes, with it really being game over. Milner rather predictably put a shot past Sorensen from thirty yards, which apparently he should have done much better with and Kieron Dyer won the game two minutes later with a header from a Milner corner.

Ashley Young got a goal on his debut for Villa, putting the ball past Harper as the ball broke in the box from a corner.

Then it seems to have been the same old story, with Villa unable to put the ball in the net despite chances. They may have played well, but that won’t be reflected in the table tonight.

Things were made worse minutes from the end when Antoine Siberski, bought from Manchester on Transfer Deadline day in August and described by many as a ‘Panic Buy’, got his eighth goal of the season on a break after being fed the ball by Damien Duff.

In my eyes at least, it makes the West Ham game on Saturday a ‘must win’ one in order to stay out of a relegation battle. Win it though, and if the team get their act together then a challenge for the last European position will be possible. The probability is that it’ll be something between the two.

Milner was outstanding, which makes me angry!

The defence really needs the steadying influence of an old head or a class act in the centre instead of Ridge or Cahill as it was today. Hopefully Laursen will be back soon (feels like I've spent the last 2 years saying that!) Carew looked good, should have been a goal! Ash looked very good too, and with Maloney on his way I think there is a lot to be enthusiastic about.

The newspapers won't say

Newcastle Utd 3 Aston Villa 1 (but unlucky).

In fact, almost every report is saying exactly this

Hit the woodwork what...3 times? perfectly good goal disallowed? Their keeper MOTM by a mile?

Its all about results at the end of the day, and this one goes down as a defeat of course, but I think I will reserve judgement until i hear from those who were there

Wow, talk about overly negative..........

I watched the game and it really was just one of those games. Read the Guardian Unlimited match report for a fair reflection of the game.

From just after Parker hit the bar (which would have made it 3-0) Villa almost totally dominated the game, especially in the last 30 minutes of the first half where our attacking play was unrelenting and we, with the addition of Young and Carew, looked fantastic.

Yes we lost "yet again" but for me, despite the frustrating nature of the loss at St.James', things really are looking more and more rosey for the future, especially if you take in to account Maloney's last-gasp signing.

Don't give up the hope just yet.

Can we have someone else writing front page articles, i don't think this view represents the overall view of this community.

agreed. Its as if someones just stolen all his Smiths CD's, burnt them and then come back for Morrisseys solo work.

The newspapers won't say

Newcastle Utd 3 Aston Villa 1 (but unlucky).

In fact, almost every report is saying exactly this

Hit the woodwork what...3 times? perfectly good goal disallowed? Their keeper MOTM by a mile?

Its all about results at the end of the day, and this one goes down as a defeat of course, but I think I will reserve judgement until i hear from those who were there

exactly Bozzy.

Spot on. I've just read the Grauniad report and it did basically said that we dominated the match and probably deserved to win it. We were all over them apparently. Good goal dissallowed. Their keeper makes some blinding saves - ours did the opposite.

I would take a lot of positives from this match, most notably the performance of our debutants.

good signings it seems MON. Well done.

The table doesn't lie, BUT rarely have we so many positives to take from a defeat as we have with this one.

Young was sharp and dangerous, Carew was a nuisance and scored a perfectly good goal which would've made it 2-2. We dominated them in their own backyard and only for the referee we would have taken something. Sibierski only scored because we were chasing - which we wouldn't have been doing if the ref wasn't a barcode.

The Hammers are next and they've strengthened significantly but on this showing and presuming Carew was just tired and not injured in the 68th minute, I think we'll do them.

Arsenal were unlucky in that game earlier this season when they had 24 shots and never scored; Forest played good football and were unlucky when they got relegated; West Ham were unlucky to see Gerard hit that screamer in the FA Cup final all unlucky sides LOSING which is something we've been too frequestly of late.

Yes there were positives let's just hope that they were not a false dawn

TBF Petrov seemed like a good signing the first match Jon.

and still does, in my eyes.

However, whilst i agree that one swallow does not make a summer, i think we can be cautiously optimistic that MON has got in 3 or 4 decent players in this window who will in all probablity add to the first team strength.

It's a good start for them, performance wise.

The difference Al is this

At the start of the season we were playing for the most part pretty average football and not losing. To have continued with that poor level of performance would have seen us fall down the League, as happened.

If we continue to play with the "verve and skill" that we did last night then its only a matter of time imo before results turn around

The difference Al is this

At the start of the season we were playing for the most part pretty average football and not losing. To have continued with that poor level of performance would have seen us fall down the League, as happened.

If we continue to play with the "verve and skill" that we did last night then its only a matter of time imo before results turn around

Agree entirely but I'm also wary of ever playing someone up based on their debut, based on recent history alone Carlton Cole and Milan Baros both had excellent debuts in games where Villa actually won and won well, and we know what happened there.

I don't think we are bad enough to go down but we do have to stop this run very quickly, which does not necessarily mean win one, lose two. We need to get back to picking up points in far far more games.

Agree entirely but I'm also wary of ever playing someone up based on their debut, based on recent history alone Carlton Cole and Milan Baros both had excellent debuts in games where Villa actually won and won well, and we know what happened there

Not disagreeing for the sake of it but I rmember seeing Carlton up at Derby, he was shite. As for Baros I'd hardly say we won his debut game well, I remember exchanging txts with you part way through second half when we were clinging onto the game, but I take your point

Â