Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

13 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

But they would just pay them a massive signing on fee and add it to the transfer.

And if your owner was willing to do it then so what?

The reason you control the wages is so that a bad owner can't sign someone up to £200k a week for 5 years that then 2 years down the line he can't afford and kills the club so FFP is in place to protect the future of the club 

Transfers upfront, signing bonuses upfront if he has the money and pays the money then so be it, no borrowing, no spreading payments

They didn't look to control spending, spending is as bad as its ever been, all FFP has done is resulted in is chasing more revenue to cover that spending, including at the expense of the fans

20 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Newcastle would struggle more if refs actually sent the likes of Bruno off. Already on a yellow on the weekend and got away with more fouls after. 

It's not just Bruno, it's their entire set up.  Be very aggressive in the middle of the park to turn the ball back.  I've got no issue with that - it's a good tactic, working well for them - but they avoid so many bookings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

It's not just Bruno, it's their entire set up.  Be very aggressive in the middle of the park to turn the ball back.  I've got no issue with that - it's a good tactic, working well for them - but they avoid so many bookings.

And PL referees doing lucrative nixers in Saudi Arabia is entirely coincidental.

10 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

And PL referees doing lucrative nixers in Saudi Arabia is entirely coincidental.

The refs in Europe have been worse - in their 2 games so far, Newcastle have committed 29 fouls and received 3 bookings for them (a 4th booking was given to Pope for time wasting).

3 cards for 29 fouls. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

i dunno, sly fouls that have a huge impact breaking up play that don't get punished because they look so soft has been around a lot longer than newcastle's oil money

busquets was a master of it, rodri has the same skill at city, im sure someone older than me will say pep could do it all day long too

• Like 3

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i dunno, sly fouls that have a huge impact breaking up play that don't get punished because they look so soft has been around a lot longer than newcastle's oil money

busquets was a master of it, rodri has the same skill at city, im sure someone older than me will say pep could do it all day long too

Barca have their whole referee bribing  scandal now too, while Abu Dhabi are giving nixers to PL referees now too. 

I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist here but state owned clubs should not have referees getting paid by their states.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 16:36, tinker said:

I can see you have had a difficult start but 2 away games in the first 5  we have had 3, Newcastle and Liverpool in that as well who must be top 4 for home form, yet we rank mid table.....

Our two away games were Man City and Brighton. Your third away game was Burnley. That's a gimme, right? ;) 

1 hour ago, TheFish said:

Our two away games were Man City and Brighton. Your third away game was Burnley. That's a gimme, right? ;) 

Your home record is as good as Man Cities, 9 points , Brightons is a 10 points and Liverpools also 9, so we are splitting hairs really, we have also played Chelsea away and Burnley. There's nothing between us, the table you have shown is obviously miles away from reality,  that's a gimme 😉 

On 13/10/2023 at 12:54, tinker said:

Your home record is as good as Man Cities, 9 points , Brightons is a 10 points and Liverpools also 9, so we are splitting hairs really, we have also played Chelsea away and Burnley. There's nothing between us, the table you have shown is obviously miles away from reality,  that's a gimme 😉 

That table is an objective OPTA thing, based on their ranking of each team, accounting for the home/away strength. I think it's a good table to clap back at people who said we didn't have a hard start. Based on ELO ratings, we had the hardest start by some measure. 

Right now, Brighton, Villa and Newcastle are posing a genuine threat to the established elite teams. However this means that we're being judged against a much higher bar than we were a couple of seasons ago. That we're backed by an Oil State means that the expectations are even higher than yours, and because we're both considered 'bigger' clubs than Brighton they still get more of a free pass than either of our clubs. Two seasons ago, I'd not have been surprised to be questioning where the next point is coming from. Now our great start is dismissed. It's enough to make your head spin.

• Like 1

From all I've read, he's guilty of betting on card games through a website banned in Italy. Now, while it's stupid of him to use a banned website, I'm not sure it's within the purview of the English FA to punish him? 

If he's been betting on football, then yeah he's got to face the same kind of punishments as Toney did. But this sounds more like a dumb mistake, than a nefarious bit of trying to beat the bookie with insider knowledge. I mean, what happened to Paqueta, and he was surely affecting the games he played in to win some money on the side for his family.

45 minutes ago, TheFish said:

From all I've read, he's guilty of betting on card games through a website banned in Italy. Now, while it's stupid of him to use a banned website, I'm not sure it's within the purview of the English FA to punish him? 

If he's been betting on football, then yeah he's got to face the same kind of punishments as Toney did. But this sounds more like a dumb mistake, than a nefarious bit of trying to beat the bookie with insider knowledge. I mean, what happened to Paqueta, and he was surely affecting the games he played in to win some money on the side for his family.

Think there has to be reciprocity in how football associations handle these matters; it would be a joke if Brentford could just loan Toney to Celtic or something just to evade his ban and keep him fit and in form. Yes the Italian FA's rules may not be the same as our FA's rules, but if an English player broke our rules while or before playing in Italy we would want them to enforce our rules. 

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Think there has to be reciprocity in how football associations handle these matters; it would be a joke if Brentford could just loan Toney to Celtic or something just to evade his ban and keep him fit and in form. Yes the Italian FA's rules may not be the same as our FA's rules, but if an English player broke our rules while or before playing in Italy we would want them to enforce our rules. 

No, I get that, and like I say if he's been gambling on football results, that's that. But given Italy has a strange set of laws about which betting sites you can or can't use, and the gambling was (reportedly) card games and not football, I'm not sure why a ban should be brought over to the English league?

I'm not sure it's an FIGC rule he's broken, or an Italian Law. If it's the former, then that's one thing and perhaps a ban should be ported over, if it's an Italian Law, then it's another thing entirely. 

1 hour ago, TheFish said:

No, I get that, and like I say if he's been gambling on football results, that's that. But given Italy has a strange set of laws about which betting sites you can or can't use, and the gambling was (reportedly) card games and not football, I'm not sure why a ban should be brought over to the English league?

I'm not sure it's an FIGC rule he's broken, or an Italian Law. If it's the former, then that's one thing and perhaps a ban should be ported over, if it's an Italian Law, then it's another thing entirely. 

Tough one.  I understand what you're saying to an extent, but the resolution of avoiding a ban shouldn't be "pssst, I know you don't want to leave but just go to Newcastle for a large fee and you can carry on with your career".

Granted, I haven't read into the case at all.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Tough one.  I understand what you're saying to an extent, but the resolute of avoiding a ban shouldn't be "pssst, I know you don't want to leave but just go to Newcastle for a large fee and you can carry on with your career".

Granted, I haven't read into the case at all.

To be fair, if Inter knew anything about it we should sue their little pants off. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

What do Inter have to do with anything?

If they knew about the impending punishment before the transfer and didn't tell Newcastle, they've defrauded us. Tonali with an 18 month ban is worth a lot less than Tonali without.

3 minutes ago, TheFish said:

If they knew about the impending punishment before the transfer and didn't tell Newcastle, they've defrauded us. Tonali with an 18 month ban is worth a lot less than Tonali without.

The Milans share a stadium, not inside knowledge of the other teams players

6 hours ago, TheFish said:

Trippier served his ban in Spain for something the FA charged him with

Â