Christian Benteke

Kwan

Just got word from Kristof Terreur that Benteke travelled separately to the team because our training camp isn't too far from the Belgian border, in turn being not far from Liege where Benteke's family home is.

I guess he flew to Belgium to see his family before meeting up with the rest of the team.

Clears that one up at least!

No chance he could have done that during his extended holiday?

Did he have an extended holiday? I don't think he did.

Just got word from Kristof Terreur that Benteke travelled separately to the team because our training camp isn't too far from the Belgian border, in turn being not far from Liege where Benteke's family home is.

I guess he flew to Belgium to see his family before meeting up with the rest of the team.

Clears that one up at least!

No chance he could have done that during his extended holiday?

Did he have an extended holiday? I don't think he did.

Exactly, if anything he had an extended season. He had 2 weeks on holiday, I assume he would've been to Belgium at some point, but being the same age as him I know it must be hard for him living away from his entire family. Our training camp is close to his family and he probably just asked Lambert if he could go see them before meeting up with the team to begin training.

Also, if all the team were doing on Saturday was meeting up, to get on a plane and fly to Germany. Wouldn't it be in the clubs interests to allow Benteke to fly from Belgium?

Less travelling and tiredness of a player.

Also, if all the team were doing on Saturday was meeting up, to get on a plane and fly to Germany. Wouldn't it be in the clubs interests to allow Benteke to fly from Belgium?

Less travelling and tiredness of a player.

Think he flew to Belgium from BHX and I assume it would be a train or car journey into Germany from Liege. I agree though, if all the players were going to do was get to Germany and sleep, I can't see it being a problem.

Im just simply pointing out that he has had plenty of time to see his family. Last week everybody was saying that they expect something to happen when he returns to training. Well he has returned, and now people are making excuses for him not being with the team after what? 2 days back?

Absolutely no problem with him seeing his family. Lets just stop kidding ourselves he is eager to get it done - and for me that indicates he won't be over the moon to stay.

It doesn't mean he's not "over the moon" to stay.

He's keeping his options open.

We all know he will leave eventually, but he respects Lambert and isn't going to kick up a fuss after one season.

He possibly did have plenty of time to see his family, but we have no idea whether he went back to Belgium or not. He could have come here direct from US. He has obviously had permission to do this so don't see what the issue is, unless someone likes the conspiracy theories.

No-ones making excuses for him Tom. We're simply going off the information (valid or not) that samjp26 has given us.

I don't think anyone is kidding themselves, so there's no 'stopping' of kidding ourselves that needs to be done. If it's true that he went to Belgium, it's just a chance to see his family for a day before joining the team.

I don't think this has any impact on his future. He could still be sold, he could sign an extension and he could continue with his current contract.

Im just simply pointing out that he has had plenty of time to see his family. Last week everybody was saying that they expect something to happen when he returns to training. Well he has returned, and now people are making excuses for him not being with the team after what? 2 days back?

Absolutely no problem with him seeing his family. Lets just stop kidding ourselves he is eager to get it done - and for me that indicates he won't be over the moon to stay.

your only kidding yourself if seeing his family says to u that he is eager to leave well then i dont have anything more to say.

your only kidding yourself if seeing his family says to u that he is eager to leave well then i dont have anything more to say.

That isnt what I said though is it. 

If anything, being allowed to see his family will make him happier, both in general and with the manager/club. What negative affect can it have?

For goodness sake, I havent said it will have any negative effect. I am just simply pointing out that he isnt busting a gut to sign a new contract like maybe Weimann was. i totally understand why (he is a player in demand) and I have absolutely no problem with it. However, I want a Benteke who is 100% committed to the cause. A Benteke that really wants to play for us, regardless of interest from elsewhere. And I am not seeing much to suggest that will happen. I am not surprised by this, as that is football, I am just stating that I think the longer it goes on the less committed Benteke becomes for next season, should he stay..

Why should AVFC or Benteke be busting a gut to sign a new deal anyway? Currently his deal is the same length as Weimann. Weimann was coming into the final 12months hence why he was busting a gut to get his future sorted. You cannot compare the two IMO.

If anything, being allowed to see his family will make him happier, both in general and with the manager/club. What negative affect can it have?

For goodness sake, I havent said it will have any negative effect. I am just simply pointing out that he isnt busting a gut to sign a new contract like maybe Weimann was. i totally understand why (he is a player in demand) and I have absolutely no problem with it. However, I want a Benteke who is 100% committed to the cause. A Benteke that really wants to play for us, regardless of interest from elsewhere. And I am not seeing much to suggest that will happen. I am not surprised by this, as that is football, I am just stating that I think the longer it goes on the less committed Benteke becomes for next season, should he stay..

cast your mind back to when we signed him, Genks owner didnt want to get rid of him, tried to make tekkers sign a new deal, he refused and was reported to have boycoted training until they allowed him to sign for us. could always do the same to us so I wouldnt expect this to pick up pace anytime soon. and as for weimann, he didnt really sign all too quickly himself, granted he got his over and done with but he himself had a vast amount of speculation linking him elsewhere wit his agent making it appear he wasnt willing to sign a new contract. glad thats over and cant wait for this saga to be over, if tekkers knows whats good for him, he'll give us at least one more season!

The more this drags on the less i'm starting to like Benteke, if anything his silence on this is worse than declaring either way his intentions

How is it? Are you telling me you'd rather have him throw his toys out of the pram and say he wants to leave than just keep his mouth shut?

If those are his intentions then yes, I would rather that.

We'll know where we stand then and can plan accordingly.

Â