Pro Evolution Soccer 2014

vandaq

Whatever Konami do, I reckon they will lose out sale's wise to EA. PES is still the king when it comes to gameplay, but the lack of official licenses and shiny bells & whistle's which FIFA has means PES lost the casual crowd this generation. Can't see it changing now for them.

#ISSTILIDIE

Ermmmm no it wasn't due to lack of licenses etc It was mainly down to PES being awful from 2008 onwards. They did nothing to improve the gameplay whilst FIFA took massive strides. 

PES 6 was the last truly great pro evo. Rest since have been turd (Never played 2013 though) 

PES 12 and 13 were excellent. They're still king gameplay wise imo, but the gap has been closed considerably and it's pretty marginal. And with all of FIFA's bells and whistles I'd say it's the best game. But for the purest footie experience, PES is still where it's at. 08 - 10 were horrible though I agree, and 11 was decent but still had many flaws.

FIFA is miles ahead in terms of the pure footie experience you mention. PES is nothing but a dodgy arcade game these days, FIFA is the real sim

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Whatever Konami do, I reckon they will lose out sale's wise to EA. PES is still the king when it comes to gameplay, but the lack of official licenses and shiny bells & whistle's which FIFA has means PES lost the casual crowd this generation. Can't see it changing now for them.

#ISSTILIDIE

Ermmmm no it wasn't due to lack of licenses etc It was mainly down to PES being awful from 2008 onwards. They did nothing to improve the gameplay whilst FIFA took massive strides. 

PES 6 was the last truly great pro evo. Rest since have been turd (Never played 2013 though) 

PES 12 and 13 were excellent. They're still king gameplay wise imo, but the gap has been closed considerably and it's pretty marginal. And with all of FIFA's bells and whistles I'd say it's the best game. But for the purest footie experience, PES is still where it's at. 08 - 10 were horrible though I agree, and 11 was decent but still had many flaws.

FIFA is miles ahead in terms of the pure footie experience you mention. PES is nothing but a dodgy arcade game these days, FIFA is the real sim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFN27MBLqto

Despite all the signs that it might finally be their year I refuse to get excited about PES after close to a decade of false dawns.

Make no mistake though, just because PES has been a pile of shite hasn't made FIFA good. The only thing it's "Simmed" is a boring meaningless Champions League group game with a whole lot of bugs thrown in for good measure. Scripted floaty rubbish and a menu system slower than an arthritic barge isn't my idea of fun. Since PES died I've just had to do without.

• Like 1

Well the ball is a seperate entity now, so it`s not that scripted. Besides, the fox engine is great, what they are able to pull off on current gen is pretty damn amazing. But I hear you, I have ignored pes for a lot of years myself, but I am getting tired of EA same game ever year now. PES actually feels different this year, but I think the 2015 release will be better when they had more time with the engine, and they can push it on the next consoles. 

Just played my first match, Bayern vs United. Looks great for a demo, plays quite well as far as passing game and movement, excellent animations, can actually employ different styles of football and see them playing out. Players feel quite unique when under player control and it's a nice challenge adapting to what they bring and making them all work together. I'm going to fiddle with the game speed and learn some of the new controls tomorrow. Shooting seems a bit different, I played on Superstar difficulty and drew 0-0, had 75% possession and created some chances but couldn't get anything on target, placement seems even more sensitive than normal for PES. Pace also seems to be implemented differently than previous versions, but I can't quite describe how yet.

Immediate thing that stuck out as a negative is the AI's seeming obsession with dribbling, I guess so the developers could show off the "independent ball". Every single AI player will dribble basically until he gets clattered or otherwise dispossessed, doing little turns and feints no matter who it is. That really loses any "cool" factor after Michael Carrick has dribbled out of his own box all the way to yours doing 14 fake passes and sidesteps along the way. This will be hell against the Barca/Madrid abusers online. Strength Stat-based strong-arming opposition off the ball looks to have made a comeback, which should be great for any of us playing as Villa, but perhaps a bit too effective (though similarly strong players can hold each other off and properly battle, which is nice). Assisted player switching seems touchy, but that's a problem in every sports game ever, imo. Will eventually go unassisted, I'm sure, though response to click seems a little slow and the player you want to switch to will often perform AI-queued actions (in response to your last action) before you take over, a couple of which seem potentially exploitable. There are, however, a crapload of AI Assisted settings that I haven't found/disabled yet.

Â