2013 - British & Irish Lions in Australia

villaajax

I honestly can't remember the full squad in 2001, but this is different surely?

Henry was picking who he thought were the best players, they happened to be English that time, and there wasn't the competition for places there is now.

Gatland appears to be picking Welsh players so he can return and manage them without too many issues.

Of course, it may be his opinion that the Welsh lads are better players, but I'm not having it. Davies over BOD or Tuilangi? Behave. Hibbard over Youngs after the performances he's had on this tour? No way. Alun Wyn as captain having only once previously captained an international team, and that was when it fell into his lap when Warburton turned it down? Wrong. Phillips over Youngs or Murray who was brilliant when he came on last week? Why? What did Phillips do in his 60 minute shitstorm of a first test apart from run on his own, losing the ball and not use it quick enough to warrant being brought back in?

This team should still beat a weak AUS side, and I still hope they do, but I'll be bitter looking back at a man who has tarnished this tour.

• Like 1

I honestly can't remember the full squad in 2001, but this is different surely?

Henry was picking who he thought were the best players, they happened to be English that time, and there wasn't the competition for places there is now.

Gatland appears to be picking Welsh players so he can return and manage them without too many issues.

Of course, it may be his opinion that the Welsh lads are better players, but I'm not having it. Davies over BOD or Tuilangi? Behave. Hibbard over Youngs after the performances he's had on this tour? No way. Alun Wyn as captain having only once previously captained an international team, and that was when it fell into his lap when Warburton turned it down? Wrong. Phillips over Youngs or Murray who was brilliant when he came on last week? Why? What did Phillips do in his 60 minute shitstorm of a first test apart from run on his own, losing the ball and not use it quick enough to warrant being brought back in?

This team should still beat a weak AUS side, and I still hope they do, but I'll be bitter looking back at a man who has tarnished this tour.

This.

Plus the thing that highlights the Welsh bias for me, is Hibbard being selected. Tom Youngs has put himself up there with the best hookers in the world if not the best on this tour, IMO. He has been immense throughout the tour and is infinitely better in the loose than Hibbard. Also Phillips is just a slow terrible version of Ben Youngs, the Aussies have him figured out and will just leave gaps where he'll have no support and turn him over as soon as he gets tackled after running about 5 metres.

Think the Aussies will win now as this selection is just not good enough.

Youngs was part of a front row which struggled, he has brought hibbard in to beef up the scrum, youngs is no where near being one of the best hookers in the world. not sure I agree with  Hibbard getting the nod over him but I imagine it is due to the scrum.  Ben youngs did not have a good game last week  but he did not have great ball to work with, but Phillips is still a very good player.  Alun Wyn Jones was the natural choice to captain the side once BOD was dropped.  I do not agree with some of gatlands picks but I very much doubt it was down to a Welsh bias.

But with Corbs back, Youngs would've been part of the front row that dominated in the first test. Surely a hooker's main job is to throw a decent line out - something which Hibbard has failed to do this tour.

Maybe I exaggerated a bit by saying Youngs is the best in the world, but don't think it's too far fetched to say he's up there. I personally think he's the best in the Lions squad and outside of that, the only two who I can think of that I would say are better are Mealamu and Strauss. I don't rate Hore or Hartley or either of the french hookers, and Australia's isn't fantastic.

As for B.Youngs, he may not have had a great game last week, but he brings a lot more than Phillips can, Phillips proved in the first test and the 6 losses Wales had to Australia recently, the Aussies have him figured out. He takes too long to get the ball out and only tries to break the line when their is a huge gap, and in the first test their was an example of when Aus left a gap intentionally and as soon as he went about 3-4 players pounced on him when he had no support, turned the ball over and went up the other end. Youngs makes defences bunch up as he runs almost flat along the line and is much more likely to exploit a small gap, which leaves spaces out wide, something Phillips does nowhere near as well.

Have no problem with Jones, he's a fantastic player and great in the loose, and without BOD (which is an awful decision), there are no real leaders in the squad, even Jones hasn't captained many sides but he's probably the best option.

I dont think any hooker on the tour has had a great game throwing in tbh.  Phillips brings a much more physical approach and by looking at the direct runners Gatland has picked he is going for a physical game.  Anyway as I have said I do not agree with some of the selection, but I dont think it is down to a Welsh bias, because Gatland has to coach them next year.  He left Edwards at home who he has worked with for years.  He is not afraid to make big calls and upset people.  I don't think he should of been coach as he is a Kiwi to start with.

I'm still trying to get my head around Davies being selected ahead of BOD, or even Tuilagi for that matter. Has Davies done anything of note at all during this tour? I'd forgotten about him.

I'm still trying to get my head around Davies being selected ahead of BOD, or even Tuilagi for that matter. Has Davies done anything of note at all during this tour? I'd forgotten about him.

In the touring games apparently he was decent and probably deserved starting berth in first test, but in tests he has been woeful

It looks like BOD is taking the blame for the lack of penetration given that the rest of the back line remains the same. Couldn't possibly be anything to do with Gatland's limited game plan...

He played well early on against the whipping boys, then impressed against the stronger sides like Reds and Waratahs, he deserved to start 1st test.

He's been shit in both matches v Oz and it's ridiculous he's in the team. He'll have more room playing outside Roberts so he may get a few chances to shine, but to be honest, he could score a hattrick and you'd struggle to convince me he'd correctly been selected ahead of BOD. Tuilangi should also be ahead of him, but I could just about give Gatland benefit with that going for experience and a pairing that knows each other. But over BOD, no way!

Brian O'Driscoll is basically an upgraded version of Davies, similar player, just loads better.

The problem we're stuck with now is. If we win, great we won the tour we're all happy. But then Gatland can be "vindicated" and have made the right decisions etc.. if we win it'll be in spite of him not because of him. 

I want so many of the lads on tour to win, O'Connell and BOD deserve to get Lions tour to finish their careers with. Halfpenny had been superb with his kicking. Sexton for being a different class no10 and all round brilliant player and many more.

But this final test team and many of Gatlands decisions leave a bad taste. 

I have to say, although I do of course still back the Lions, if they lose, it's not going to hurt so much. The team that's been picked isn't one I can wholeheartedly back.

Apparently George Smith is back for the Aussies.

I love O'Brien, but he will get absolutely mullered by Smith at the breakdown. Different class altogether.

Not sure about that. I think O'Brein def has it in his locker, great player.

I would have had Croft on the pitch somewhere though, vital at lineouts.

I may have had him in over Lydiate just for that reason, though I'm a big fan of Lydiate.

O’Driscoll’s four carries was only one less than Davies. He made 13 tackles and missed none, whereas Davies made seven and missed three!

This is not to pick on Davies, a fine player and one of the most improved on tour, but nonetheless one who seems to have peaked with that stunning display against the Waratahs three Saturdays ago. In the last 10 minutes last Saturday it was Davies’ spillage, followed by O’Driscoll’s kick downfield, which ignited the Wallabies’ late siege, and Davies also missed his tackle on Isreal Folau in the ensuing counter-attack before missing Adam Ashley-Cooper for the match-winning try.

And heaven knows how many more tackles O’Driscoll prevents by closing up fast on the outside. Suffice to say, it would be no surprise if Ashley-Cooper and those outside him have more space to play in next Saturday.

Sums up exactly why everyone is stunned by the decision. 

I can't lie, this has totally deflated my enthusiasm about Saturdays game. While 4 years ago losing the 2nd test was crushing. Now, I'll shrug my shoulders and say, that's what you deserve Gatland and will not care once I've left the pub. 

As a Welsh rugby fan I have to say that the decision to drop BOD didn't shock me too much, although I was as disappointed as anyone else. There is no point in people feigning surprise at they way Gatland has set up the team or the way that they will be asked to play. Wales have played in exactly the same way for the last six years and there has never been an alternate plan. Skill, talent and form are not key factors in a Gatland team, he has his favourites and he likes players who will do EXACTLY what he tells them to do. That's why players like Jamie Roberts can go 3 years without a good game or Phillips play 1 barnstormer in 10 and still be an automatic on the team sheet. It's the reason why probably the most skillful Welsh player, James Hook, will never win another international cap whilst a plodder like Rhys Priestland will pick up another 50. It's also the reason why the best player in Wales over the last 12 months (Tipuric) won't start one of the Lions tests.

Having said all that he has brought success to Wales and still has the chance to do so with the Lions. If they win he will be 100% vindicated in his decisions, if not...well he knows that he will carry the can. Kudos to him for having balls and the conviction to execute things in 'his way' but certainly a resounding booooo from a 'rugby purist' point of view.

If they win he will be 100% vindicated in his decisions, if not...well he knows that he will carry the can. Kudos to him for having balls and the conviction to execute things in 'his way' but certainly a resounding booooo from a 'rugby purist' point of view.

Not sure he will. People have taken it that badly, this is going to leave a very bad taste in the mouth. The Welsh team may face a bit of a backlach after this, who knows they might even oust England as 'most hated' at the Six Nations!

O'Driscoll is still a much much better player than Jon Davies.

I can't lie, this has totally deflated my enthusiasm about Saturdays game. While 4 years ago losing the 2nd test was crushing. Now, I'll shrug my shoulders and say, that's what you deserve Gatland and will not care once I've left the pub.

For the first time in this thread, I actually agree with every word you've written :).

It sounds a bit melodramatic and I probably need to grow a pair, but I kind of feel cheated out of a game I should massively excited for, one which only comes around every four years and is as good a chance as we'll have to win a series for at least another 8 years. I remember how gutted I was when O'Gara gave away that stupid penalty in the second test 4 years ago. If anything similar happens this time I probably won't be arsed.

Â