Singapore & Japan

Ghost

the museum inside osaka castle was excellent for that stuff, basically 5 floors of the history of tokugawa (who was the ruler in nijo castle) vs toyotomi in a battle in osaka

to be fair i've tried reading a bit of japanese history and its full of years of nothing really happening, there is about 40 years during feudal japan starting with nobunaga and ending with tokugawa, the meiji restoration and then the war, the social structure is fascinating but bloody hard work

Damn, I didn't know that. I was in Osaka in the spring for one night, in a hotel facing directly to the White Castle, but didn't go.

Agree about the history, that's just the period I meant.

About the Golden Pavilion, it's a pity you can't get closer to it. Would be amazing.

meant to say some general advice about the shinkansen, they're piece of piss, really comfortable and loads of leg room, you dont have to reserve seats but we did, only on the day and usually for a train about 30 minutes later (giving us a chance to look round the shops in the stations and get a bento box) but we found that way the people at the counter speak good english and can give you some advise that isnt that easy to find on say hyperdia, such as obviously times, platform numbers, stops, and often what type of train it will be, because you cant use the nozomi and some of the trains are faster than others, think on the trip from hiroshima to osaka we got on a train that left 20 minutes later but arrived 20 minutes earlier than the next train, i found that there isnt a lot of english on the electronic boards at the train stations but the english in the JR ticket offices is excellent

definitely worth doing IMO although when i went to the JR ticket office at narita to return my suica card there were a couple of people who had obviously just landed reserving their train seats for the whole 2 weeks they were there, dont understand that at all, give yourself the flexibility, its so easy to do

Hiroshima - 

i found that there isnt a lot to do in hiroshima but what is there is really good, got there about midday and left 24 hours later happy id done everything i wanted to, very easy to get round, they have a tram system, think it was 160 yen per trip, you just drop it in a box on your way off

did the peace park stuff, the peace museum was surprisingly good, despite the name it is a bomb museum, lots of stuff i didn't know, like where the bomb exploded and the number of people that died of thirst days after, its a very good museum but was unfortunately full of aussie school kids with huge expensive cameras who for some reason didnt look at the items or the descriptions they took photos of them all instead, it really **** me off, to the extent that i said something to a couple of them

10649938_10152784093480917_6315057768556

10665161_10152784093910917_3910574819867

there are lots of different memorials dotted around the park, such as the one for the children, the memorial for the victims is good, the whole park just has an aura about it which is hard to explain

next day did a trip to miyajima, you can it using a JR rail pass because they own the ferry but from where we were it was going to take an hour to get to the ferry so we just paid to use the boat thats next to the peace park (and our hotel)  miyajima was cool, they have a big famous shrine on the water and i think THE tori in japan

10380908_10152784094575917_2452917526166

the town on the island is nice, plenty of tat shops and little restaurants and they have tons of maple cakes that are good and really cheap, and there's more deer strolling round

• Like 1

last one! osaka - 

I wasnt overly fussed by osaka, read several books on stuff to do and couldnt really find that much that interested me, ended up turning up there about 5pm and leaving midday the next day, went shopping on the night, went to a place called namba parks but it was dark and you couldnt access the viewing platform but it should have looked like this - 

namba-parks-japan-jerde-partnership-2-53

1622611_10152784108020917_91327707103457

it was a really cool place, then did dotonbori and shinsaibashi, the gilco man was being refurbed which was a shame

426081_10152784108495917_600904085476842

i also think it was this point in the trip where we were trying to do cuisine that we hadnt done before but found that a lot of the local stuff in osaka was the same as the stuff in kyoto and hiroshima so struggled to find somewhere to eat

did the castle which was really good, great history museum inside, glad i didnt bother with himeji, which had been under refurbishment but when we went past on the train all the scaffolding was down, between hiroshima and osaka i was happy with the castles we'd seen

10438165_10152784108720917_3207462686609

• Like 2

Anywhere near Clarke Quay / Boat Quay is the best bet. I was in walking distance of those but can't for the life of me remember what my hotel was called! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I stayed at Raffles but it's star is not what it once was and there are better hotels for sure ... I just like the colonial feel about the place and the doorman that looks like a baddie from a James Bond film

Rooms are sold on a 24 hour basis which more hotels should operate , so if you check in at 8pm then checkout is 8pm the next day, great if you are on a stopover which I'd imagine most visitors to Singapore are

And don't do the Singapore Sling in Raffles thing either, its vastly overpriced and pre-mixed out of a quick serve nozzle.

I can only vouch for the 2 I had there but they were both freshly made in front of my eyes

And also free as my butler arranged it for me when he took me up to show me the room :D

Tbf all alcohol is expensive in Singapore so not exclusive to raffles ... Still the only country I've been to where the price goes up the later you drink !!!

And don't do the Singapore Sling in Raffles thing either, its vastly overpriced and pre-mixed out of a quick serve nozzle.

I can only vouch for the 2 I had there but they were both freshly made in front of my eyes

And also free as my butler arranged it for me when he took me up to show me the room :D

Tbf all alcohol is expensive in Singapore so not exclusive to raffles ... Still the only country I've been to where the price goes up the later you drink !!!

Doesn't it do that in Dublin?

Booked my Hostel for Singapore. It's in the Little India area, does free scooter tours of the city as well which might be quite fun. Getting so excited for it all now, just over two weeks to go.

Edited by mikeyp102

• 2 weeks later...
Â