Singapore & Japan

Ghost

Going to be in Singapore next week on my way back to the UK. Anybody got a recommendation for somewhere to watch the Villa game? With us playing Arsenal who are pretty popular in Asia and it being the first game of the season there must be somewhere showing it? Especially with 3pm's being televised overseas.

Do you just want to watch it or do you have to watch it with fellow Villa fans?

If it's the latter, forget it, really.

Yeah well seeing it is my priority but if there were Villa fans that gathered for it then I'd definitely make an effort to head there. I emailed the guy 'Mark Ho' who is listed as being in charge of the Villa Lions supporters club in SG but his replies were in broken English, didn't answer any of my questions, he kept asking for a phone number and where I was staying and he called me 'Mr David' haha I found online that Mio Stadium are showing it after the Liverpool vs Swansea game so it should be on in most bars with TV's right? 

Broken English or Singaporean-accented English? :D Genuine question - because for foreigners it is often hard to tell the difference.

Anyway, yes I think you're right. It will certainly be the biggest game going on at 10pm Singapore time, so I would expect the bars and pubs to screen the game.

Don't drink too much though, booze will burn a hole through your wallet if you do :)

Going to be in Singapore next week on my way back to the UK. Anybody got a recommendation for somewhere to watch the Villa game? With us playing Arsenal who are pretty popular in Asia and it being the first game of the season there must be somewhere showing it? Especially with 3pm's being televised overseas.

I stayed in The Qunicy in Singapore and in the hotel next door (the Elizabteh) they held the Arsenals Supporters group. Must have been over 300 Arsenal fans in there to watch the Arsenal vs Sunderland game. The bar is decked out like a traditional english/irish pub but the walls are covered in Arsenal memorabilia. The atmosphere was great albeit the game being 0-0.

As i typed this i checked the Arsenal supporters group website and it looks like they have moved home to another bar.

Either way it would be a great experience to watch it amongst them

If you're a bit more courageous, you could try going to one of the many ubiquitous "coffeeshops" that litter the island. The beer is poorer but cheaper, and it's a very different experience.

Not many white people go to the coffeeshops though :)

• 2 months later...

Got back from my trip last week.

Japan is a great country. 

I'd highly recommend going there if you get the chance and haven't been before. Just the culture, the people, the technology. Really cool and interesting.

I definitely want to go back soon. 

Also, thanks to all those who provided advice. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm going to Osaka and Kyoto for a few days of seminar and then a few for holiday in the beginning of April.

What else is there to do in Osaka besides visit the White Osaka Castle?

If anyone's stayed at the New Otani hotel please give me your thoughts.

found flights for £500-550 for 10 days

any "must do" things for the itinerary? 

will probably spend 3/4 days in tokyo and get the 7 day rail pass, was hoping to go to Hiroshima but most 10 day trips tell you not to bother 

and has anyone stayed in a ryokan? love the sound of it but have read that most of the major city ones are shit

Edited by villa4europe

What is it like travelling Kyoto to Tokyo?

took about 2 hrs 20 if i recall , we didn't have the super super super fast bullet train just the super super fast

There are 2 routes one goes past Mt Fuji ( home of the iconic shot ) and the other route doesn't .. Alas my trains took the "doesn't" route

The train itself is smooth and amusing in that all the buttons inside the toilet look like a play station controller ( presumably where the icons came from )

Edited by tonyh29

I'm going to Osaka and Kyoto for a few days of seminar and then a few for holiday in the beginning of April.

Can't speak to Osaka, cos I didn't visit there when I went, but in regards to Kyoto, the way I saw it was to rent a bike and get around that way. If temples/shrines are your thing, a few are Kinkaku-ji, Ginkaku-ji and Fushimi Inari. There's also Nijo Castle which is really interesting and the Gion district, which is also pretty cool. 

Can't speak to Osaka, cos I didn't visit there when I went, but in regards to Kyoto, the way I saw it was to rent a bike and get around that way. If temples/shrines are your thing, a few are Kinkaku-ji, Ginkaku-ji and Fushimi Inari. There's also Nijo Castle which is really interesting and the Gion district, which is also pretty cool.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do in Kyoto yet, or that I even have time to do anything by myself. My hotel seems to be somewhere at the bottom of the hills, or mountains, instead of in the center. Not really liking that, but can't choose.

In Osaka I can do what I want, so I booked a hotel across the White Castle. View should be nice, I hope.

Edited by AVTuco

Taking this back in the other direction - any tips on Singapore?

I'm only there for a couple of nights, so i'm basically planning on taking it very easy and going on a hunt for some Chilli Crab, perhaps we'll go to Raffles for tea and cake, perhaps we won't.

flights booked, £510, going for 12 days

think its going to be tokyo, kyoto and hiroshima, might try and squeeze osaka in too, the gf wants to do disney which im not convinced by but that was the compromise, going to try for ghibli museum tickets but i think its like getting in to fort knox 

• Like 1

Â