Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Who would you have us sign Tom?

Im not sure it matters who I would sign (not really thought of it FWIW). My point is simple. We can not keep signing unknown quantities. Those that work seem to take an age to work and then the rest that don't, don't. The squad is not strong enough atm and I have not seen anyone yet that we have been linked with that would make us immediately stronger.

I had not heard of 1 of last years signings and I have not heard of any of the current links. That does not mean they can not be good, It just means there all a bit risky. And hey, Im all for that, but not every flippin signing.

This whole site spent half the season going mad because Lambert had not signed experience. While there were some positives towards the end of last season, I personally have not seen enough to be confident of going into next season with yet another load of unknown players.

Ah difference of opinion then. I think "known quantity" and things like "premier league experience" are cack.

But I suppose we'll see if the approach pays off in a year or two since PL won't deviate. Though I would suggest having more optimism since this is what you'll probably see tin the future

• Like 1

Who would you have us sign Tom?

Im not sure it matters who I would sign (not really thought of it FWIW). My point is simple. We can not keep signing unknown quantities. Those that work seem to take an age to work and then the rest that don't, don't. The squad is not strong enough atm and I have not seen anyone yet that we have been linked with that would make us immediately stronger.

I had not heard of 1 of last years signings and I have not heard of any of the current links. That does not mean they can not be good, It just means there all a bit risky. And hey, Im all for that, but not every flippin signing.

This whole site spent half the season going mad because Lambert had not signed experience. While there were some positives towards the end of last season, I personally have not seen enough to be confident of going into next season with yet another load of unknown players.

Ah difference of opinion then. I think "known quantity" and things like "premier league experience" are cack.

But I suppose we'll see if the approach pays off in a year or two since PL won't deviate. Though I would suggest having more optimism since this is what you'll probably see tin the future

Why do you suggest that? Do you think I wont enjoy the season if I dont 100% agree with our transfer policy?

Im not really sure why you mention premier league experience either?

Just want players that dont have us down the bottom end of the table all season thats all. 

Edited by Woodytom

Well I won't put too many words in your mouth, but if you don't agree with the transfer policy, then you don't agree with the team make up and if you don't agree with the team make up, then one can assume that you don't think the the team will be good enough

Well I won't put too many words in your mouth, but if you don't agree with the transfer policy, then you don't agree with the team make up and if you don't agree with the team make up, then one can assume that you don't think the the team will be good enough

Well to push on to the top end of the table, they are clearly not. That doesnt mean you cant enjoy the season.

In terms of transfer planning I think the concept is great. Signing them together is a hark back to the classic days, before international transfers were commonplace. Teams would always try to sign two players of the same nationality, language or previous team so that they would have someone to help aclimatise with in the new country. Petrov being in the same building would be a big bonus too.

You can see, for example, that Benteke and Sylla are good mates off the pitch, and Sylla has said in an interview how important N'Zogbia was for him initially settling in.

KEA and Vlaar too

So when are we bringing in Hummels and Reus?  :D

Anyone seen anything on alvaro vadillo from real betis? I remember he was linked to premier league a while ago and he is like 18.Checking up on wikipedia I see he hasn`t scored for Real Betis yet but he is pretty highly rated for a youngster. 

We've supposedly been interested in him since Lambert took the reins. Wonder if it's just lazy journalism, if we're actually still interested, or if the price will have shot up too much due to his excellent season.

Meanwhile, Villa remain in the hunt for Crewe’s Luke Murphy and Max Clayton.

:bang:

Luke Murphy would be a great addition. More highly rated by Westwood within Crewe. And Clayton is a good young player. Neither will be expensive and both will offer something.

Also They're just that. Links. I bet you've never seen either of them play. But anyway, you're not worth the time. You spent all season slagging off Westwood so I wouldn't expect you to see the positives in the potential.

You must be a troll. Nobody can be this sincerely negative about everything.

We can't keep signing lower league players and progress - If that worked everyone would do it. I am all for securing the odd bargain - or taking a punt on some raw talent - but that won't work all the time.

Thats not negative - its just a different viewpoint (something you seem totally Interollent to)

Edited by hippo

I am sorry but that is very relative to the player you sign. But yes, in most cases that is the truth. Only reason I don`t mind it is because I really like the way Lambert is shaping up the team, and I am very happy with most of his signings. There are other players that have disappointed me more.

Luke Murphy would be a great addition. More highly rated by Westwood within Crewe. And Clayton is a good young player. Neither will be expensive and both will offer something.

Also They're just that. Links. I bet you've never seen either of them play. But anyway, you're not worth the time. You spent all season slagging off Westwood so I wouldn't expect you to see the positives in the potential.

We can't keep signing lower league players and progress - If that worked everyone would do it. I am all for securing the odd bargain - or taking a punt on some raw talent - but that won't work all the time.

Thats not negative - its just a different viewpoint (something you seem totally Interollent to)

Who says we can't?

Yeah, sign enough players from League 2 and you will eventually turn into a lower league side. It will be interesting to see how some of the lower league players do in season 2 in the PL. We have to remember how close we came to relegation in what was a thoroughly depressing season.

• Like 1

Who says we can't?

Of course we can sign those type of players - and I am to an extent supportive of it. I just feel any side should be a mixture of youth, experience, playmakers, grafters. Lambert will stand or fall based on results. The big concern for me is centre half - My hope is we go for a robust experenced type - who won't need any bedding in time. That doesn't mean we can't sign a raw rising star as competition\fringe player  

I think you just described Joelyn Lescott.

Ironically - No - I think that would be step to far.

Shawcross - I would really like - but even that probably isn't feasible.  TBH - I don't mind who it is - I just feel we need another bloke of the Vlaar calibre in there.

Who says we can't?

Of course we can sign those type of players - and I am to an extent supportive of it. I just feel any side should be a mixture of youth, experience, playmakers, grafters. Lambert will stand or fall based on results. The big concern for me is centre half - My hope is we go for a robust experenced type - who won't need any bedding in time. That doesn't mean we can't sign a raw rising star as competition\fringe player

No I mean who says we can't keep signing those kind of players and progress?

I think you just described Joelyn Lescott.

Ironically - No - I think that would be step to far.

Shawcross - I would really like - but even that probably isn't feasible.  TBH - I don't mind who it is - I just feel we need another bloke of the Vlaar calibre in there.

I was just about to post actually saying it's all rather quiet on the defender front...

We signed Hutton, Jenas, N'Zogbia, Given, Dunne, Cuellar, Collins, where did we end up finishing. Luke Murphy is a very good footballer, didn't United sign Powell? Where did Chris Smalling come from before joining Fulham. I just sometimes wonder what you lot would think when we signed Platt.

• Like 2