Margaret Thatcher dies of a stroke.

Milfner

Clement Attlee died in 1967. No ceremonial funeral, no honour guards and not attended by the Queen. Just a simple ceremony for the man who shaped post war Britain and who we all should still be thankful to today.  Contrast that to the fuss and all the expense of the witches funeral.

Putting aside the expense a ceremonial funeral should be reserved for those who at least had the goodwill of the vast majority of the nation. The last two ceremonial funerals were for Princess Diana and The Queen Mother. Now I am sure they were not everyone's cup of tea but in the main they were liked. In Thatcher's case the woman was loathed by much of the nation and to give her this kind of send off is just wrong.

The Tories should be ashamed of themselves. They are using her death for political gain as a way of trying to get across their ideologies and then when challenged they claim its disrespectful. It was disgusting that Glenda Jackson, and others, were barracked by the Tories during yesterday's Thatcher debate. The Tories wanted the debate and then when someone dared tell it exactly how it was and exactly what Thatcher was like they take offence. They didn't want to hear opposing opinions to their own then don't hold the debate. If they wanted a mass wanking and fudging session over Thatcher then they should have simply held a gathering strictly for Tories.

• Like 1

Thatcher is liked by the British public, she won 3 elections, there is a section of the public who do not like her, who are being very vocal but that does not mean that she does not deserve the funeral that she is getting or that the majority of the British public do not want her to have such a funeral.

• Like 1

In other news John Lydon is expressing the opposite view to that guy who used to be in the Smiths who lives not in Manchester.

I am in agreement with the desire for a simple funeral; this is all getting out of hand, and a waste of money. Will be glad that no one protests as well, as that would cost the tax payers for even more extra policing.

Clement Attlee’s grandson (educated at Stowe), the third Earl Attlee, is by the way a Tory. Attlee’s son had previously deserted to the SDP.  ;)

Edited by PauloBarnesi

Thatcher is liked by the British public, she won 3 elections, there is a section of the public who do not like her, who are being very vocal but that does not mean that she does not deserve the funeral that she is getting or that the majority of the British public do not want her to have such a funeral.

Tony-Blair--010.jpg

When he dies he should have the same funeral as Thatcher, some people do not like him but they should respect him.  People in power have to make hard choices, and to win 3 elections shows that they had the majority of the British public with them. 

• Like 1

When he dies he should have the same funeral as Thatcher, some people do not like him but they should respect him.  People in power have to make hard choices, and to win 3 elections shows that they had the majority of the British public with them. 

It more than likely shows that there was not an opposition who the public wanted, not that they really wanted the victor(s). Plus, with humanity, people will always vote for who they think will win if they see no decent opposition..

Respect is earned. It is not a given.

.  People in power have to make hard choices, and to win 3 elections shows that they had the majority of the British public with them

:crylaugh:

Funniest post of then thread.

Respect is earned. It is not a given.

Well a lot on the left have said they respect Thatcher.

Margaret Thatcher will be remembered as a successful female politician, winner of three general elections and longest PM of the 20th century. Glenda Jackson will be remembered for making Morecambe and Wise unfunny

To those who feel it is ok to celebrate her death

So it will be acceptable for people to celebrate when Tony Blair dies? I think he was a evil son of a bitch too but I wouldn't be celebrating when he dies just out of common decency

• Like 2

Again with this word paedophile. Do you even know what that means?

I think so.

It's a menace to society comparison.

You bought scale into it, that's where Thatch wins hands down.

So it will be acceptable for people to celebrate when Tony Blair dies? I think he was a evil son of a bitch too but I wouldn't be celebrating when he dies just out of common decency

right or wrong...I just love a good party

Edited by leemond2008

Him I'd like to see locked up with Bush for war crimes.

I think there is a big difference between celebrating the death of somebody and celebrating the death of her ideals and what she did to destroy this country. I think it is more symbolic than actually celebrating the death of a body.

• Like 1

Yesterday's shenanigans in the Houses has cost us the taxpayer an additional £2m quid !!! Un ber **** lievable

Imagine how many snow leopards could have been saved with that money

I think there is a big difference between celebrating the death of somebody and celebrating the death of her ideals and what she did to destroy this country. I think it is more symbolic than actually celebrating the death of a body.

I have read your post a few times now and to be honest I think you have either made a huge mistake in your analysis or are using this as an excuse to the real activities of the last few days.

What we have seen is a celebration of the death of a person,  not their ideals or policies.  For a start has she done much to implement any ideals in the last 23 years?  Do ideals die because a person does?

No what we have seen is not the celebration of death of ideals,  but the undignified and crass celebration of the death of a person and that does no one,  not one person,  any good.

Edited by Richard

celebration of the death of a person and that does no one,  not one person,  any good.

I dunno.

Bicks had a good night out on Monday :P

Â