The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

Finally restored my old telecaster, poor thing has been sitting under the bed since 2006. New wiring, new scratch plate, a setup and a new Seymour Duncan Hot Rails pickup. Sounds and plays AWESOME now  :)

CMAk_SjUcAIZmSg.jpg

• Like 1

re. above; just out of interest, many years ago c. 1978, I played in a band that was on the same bill as quite  a well-known entertainer called Roy Castle. Fortunately we didn't have to back him as; A) I wouldn't have been up to it and  B) he brought his own trio. His drummer used my drums, which at the time had an Evans batter head on the snare drum. He suggested I use almost the same technique as the geezer in this video with one tension rod slackened  right off. What a coincidence and very interesting clip.

PS for all those that have never heard of Roy Castle ('cos it was along time ago) he was on tv quite a bit but died of lung cancer which he reckoned had been made worse by playing in smoky venues.

Edited by veloman
  • Like 1

The whole idea challenges my instinct to strive for even tuning all the way around the drum, but I think the idea is that the snare is not a typical drum, and what works for toms and kicks might not necessarily work for snare drums. Being able to dial in overtones (I like my drum sound relatively lively, personally) is a great option to have, and to be able to do it without extra muffling is great. So yeah, I'm going to give it a go on my snare tonight at the studio.

• 4 weeks later...

If there's anyone here who likes film score and cinematic stuff, here's something I just finished today. 

Very impressed.  I work in the audio-visual field and was wondering what equipment you use.  If you wouldn't mind?

I don't mind. I'm all software based. I sequence using Cubase (have done for years). A Past Forgotten was made using ProjectSAM stuff. I usually make dance music but I've been exploring other genres lately to keep things interesting, as well as remaking the original PSOne score from the original Tomb Raider (they're on my Youtube channel.)

Glad to hear you guys enjoyed my music.

Edit: Main theme from Tomb Raider I made below. Linked as I can't figure out how to embed a Youtube video with this new forum software. And it weirdly just worked. How odd.

Edited by Sie
Youtube linking jiggery pokery
  • Like 1

Oh you Mr Guest!

Any Metal Gear Solid fans in off topic? Spent some time yesterday and some time today producing a cover of Quiet's Theme. Here are the results. (sorry for shitting up the thread with huge youtube players, I'll stop it now)

A Hideo Kojima Game!

Edited by Sie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any DJs here?

I used to play a few bars back in the day, mostly UKG and House, bit of DnB here and there.

Last gig I played was an engagement party ha times change. Would love to get into it again properly.

• 2 weeks later...
Â