The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

Can't say I've given Spock's Beard a proper listen. They're one of those bands that I'd read so much about but never had the time to properly check them out. I'll try and give them a proper listen. 

Danny Carey has always stood out to me. The Mars Volta have had a string of good drummers too. Deantoni Parks is drum-machine tight.

• 1 month later...

I'm considering selling some of mine, as I've started playing less and less lately. I'll probably just keep 1 guitar, 1 bass, 1 acoustic and my mandolin.

You'll never reach the optimum number of guitars with that sort of attitude.

• Like 1

I don't think this applies(d) to drums. Cymbals possibly - and definitely racing bikes (OT)

Definitely applies to my drummer - every time I see him he's bought a new kit, or at least a new drum/cymbal!

I'm considering selling some of mine, as I've started playing less and less lately. I'll probably just keep 1 guitar, 1 bass, 1 acoustic and my mandolin.

I'm always considering selling some of mine, I could quite easily well my les Paul, my 12 string, one of my acoustics, my keyboard and one of my banjos and I could still survive.

Only problem is that every though of what I should sell gets swamped by thoughts of other things I could buy.

I have a lust to buy a Rickenbacker electric 12 string. Would cost between £1500 and £2000. Couldn't remotely justify it, and the missus would go apeshit. But I WANT one...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i know naff all about guitar playing, but i was watching some footage of eddie van halen last night when he first come on the scene. even to this day its astounding but back then it must of seemed from another planet, the stuff he was doing was surreal and he had the same effect on people that hendrix had back in the late 60s by reinventing the guitar. he made players like page,iommi,clapton and even blackmore look very normal and very old, he might not of had the feel and vision of some of the players back then but by all accounts he really shook the whole thing up. poor black sabbath and tony iommi for having them as support band on their 78 world tour when they just come on the scene, most nights they stole the show. not a huge van halen fan and once randy rhodes come on the scene it was whos better randy or eddie.

I guess this should really be in the RIP topic but did anyone see Glen Cornick, original bassist with Jethro Tull has passed away. Again, many will be a tad young to have known them but they were cracking musos. Listen to 'Living In The Past' - nice bass intro. RIP 

• Like 1

Cheers both  :) Funnily enough, my guitar tutor at Uni has gigged with Billy Cobham, so there's a cool link with Mahavishnu Orchestra. I've not personally checked them out as much as I should have, but I'm a fan of Billy's solo stuff so I'll definitely give them more of a listen. 

Re. the tuning, yeah I think there's a bit of an issue. That guitar is in desperate need of a good setup, which I keep putting off haha. The tuner for the low E needs tightening, as it slips quite a lot and I'm sure that there's the odd intonation issue that needs rectifying. Unfortunately it was the only guitar I had handy with the humbuckers I needed for the tune so I had to make do and hope it stayed in tune-ish  :P  but cheers!

Gigged with Billy Cobham  !!!   Can you say what his name is; he must be some player.

Billy Cobham launched  Fibes drums in the early 70's but they disappeared from sight quite quickly - what a player though.

"Spectrum" was a seminal LP.

His name is John Wheatcroft. Absolutely phenomenal guitar player. There's a couple of videos of him playing with Billy on youtube:

You're right about Cobham, awesome player, really pioneered the fusion genre. I think Stratus is must be on every jazz player's 'must learn' list.

Also, my bass tutor at Uni was Neil Fairclough, who is the current bass player in Queen's current touring lineup. It was great being able to learn from such brilliant musicians. Such lovely people, too!

Â