Ubuntu

Dodgyknees

I have no idea how that quote is relevant in any way. Posts about Debian repos being cracked would also be off topic. Just because debian or ubuntu are mentioned in a thread doesn't mean that any mention of them is automatically on topic. Personally I thought the post you made was sufficiently important to merit it's own thread if there isn't already a Mint thread. It didn't deserve to be hidden in a multipage thread about a different operating system (with which it shares some packages).

Hey team - looking at partitioning a Windows laptop with Ubuntu, does anybody have any advice on this? I read lots of ways of doing it on the web but there always seem to be slight differences - so would prefer if one of you guys had a process to follow? Id prefer to use the USB method rather than disk of that helps?

cheers folks 

What is it that you want the two installations for? I'm sure there are still some situations in which dual booting is a valid option, but these days I'd just download Virtual Box and run Ubuntu as a VM, you can then run the two operating systems side by side instead of rebooting every time you want to switch.

If you do go down the dual boot route, there's nothing to it. Stick it on a USB key, boot from USB, and it's an easy GUI to guide you through it. The only time I've had difficulties is doing it the other way around (Linux as the single OS, then installing Windows as the second OS), as Windows is a dick and doesn't like to respect other operating systems, but I've never had anything go wrong with Linux second. 

#1 Download the ISOfrom http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

#2 Burn the ISO to a USB drive. NEwer versions of Windows might be able to do this natively, I've always used http://isotousb.com/

#3 Reboot, boot from the USB key. Your PC might already be set to boot from removable devices first, in which case all you need to do is turn your PC on with the USB key in, if not there will be a hotkey you can press to select which device to boot from of a list of all available devices, just one time, this varies depending on your PC manufacturer, so just shout up if you have any problems.

# 4 Happily click through the very user-friendly Ubuntu install wizard. Pay particular attention to the steps where it lists your current drives and partitions and allows you to resize them. If in doubt, ask.

Even though I doubt anything will go wrong, definitely back up everything you need from your Windows installation, just in case.

I'd definitely go down the VM route unless you have a specific need to dual boot, though.It's more convenient to use both side by side, it's entirely risk free setting it up (instead of 99% risk free, as long as you pay attention and don't nuke your Windows partition), and if this is a learning exercise and you've never used Linux before, it makes it much simpler to run multiple different distributions if you want to try out others as well as Ubuntu.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Davkaus cheers for the response! Completely forgot I had posted in here. I'm going to be taking a look at this tomorrow i think, as I'm grabbing an old laptop from my parents that has nothing on it of any use, so just going to prat around and have a go at dual booting. 

I know nothing about Linux, but it comes up on the degree that I am doing so figured it would be useful to take a look. Also allows me to add to my knowledge for my job as well, so, that's the main thinking behind it all really. 

The process seems straight forward, it's just the part you mentioned about the drive that I am concerned about. 

On 3/12/2016 at 00:02, Tayls said:

@Davkaus cheers for the response! Completely forgot I had posted in here. I'm going to be taking a look at this tomorrow i think, as I'm grabbing an old laptop from my parents that has nothing on it of any use, so just going to prat around and have a go at dual booting. 

I know nothing about Linux, but it comes up on the degree that I am doing so figured it would be useful to take a look. Also allows me to add to my knowledge for my job as well, so, that's the main thinking behind it all really. 

The process seems straight forward, it's just the part you mentioned about the drive that I am concerned about. 

If you want to dual-boot and don't want much hassle take a look at Wubi.

If you want an education try Archlinux instead. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Are you familiar with how virtual machines work, in general? It basically runs an instance of another operating system, from the current session on your PC. You can have 1 OS installed as your main one, for general use, and have another (or more than one!) installed on the same PC, that utilise the same hardware, but don't have access to your physical machine's data (unless you choose to!). You'd have to be trying incredibly hard to manage to **** up anything on your Windows installation from your VM.

Download and install it it from here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

When it's installed, launch Virtual Box, select to create a new virtual machine. There will be a few options as you create it, you might want to adjust the disk space, but otherwise you generally want to leave things at their defaults unless you have a specific reason to change them. When you get to the OS stage, it'll ask for the .iso to install from, you select the Ubuntu .iso you downloaded, which is the same file you'd use if you were to stick it on a USB drive.

Once that completes, start it up, and  it'll start the Ubuntu install Wizard. Install it as normal. On the disk/partition step, you'll notice it doesn't know that there is disk space beyond the amount you provisioned when you set the disk space when creating the VM.

There are many tutorials in YouTube as well if you want to see someone do it before you take a stab at it. But it's not more difficult than installing a physical computer.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 - the new LTS release.

News is that AMD's graphics drivers have not as yet been updated to keep up with Canonical's development of Xorg.

Nvidia drivers are okay, apparently.

So it is recommended that those with AMD gfx cards hold back from updating until the drivers have been sorted.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/03/ubuntu-drops-amd-catalyst-fglrx-driver-16-04

If you use the AMD Catalyst (fglrx) driver on Ubuntu you may wish to avoid upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS next month.

The ‘Xenial Xerus’ will not support the widely used — and widely hated — proprietary graphics driver for AMD/ATI graphics cards.

Instead, Ubuntu “recommend open source alternatives (radeon and amdgpu)”, and say “AMD put a lot of work into the[se] drivers, and we back ported kernel code from Linux 4.5 to provide a better experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Loads of the AMD GPUs are fine with the open source drivers though, if you check before you update you should be fine. 

Waiting for te nvidia open source to fully support my nvidia 750 so i can try gnome on wayland with the new release. X is fine but I've been wanting to try the Wayland stuff for ages.

On the dual boot thing, I like having 2 OS's "on the metal" on at least one machine, normally a lappie. It's the last place windows is hanging on by the finger nails for me, and that is entirely down to having to use some bespoke software for a job that is windows only. Otherwise I actually have weaned myself off it, only if someone sends me bleeding edge version creative cloud files do I need windows, and then I have windows in virtualbox to extract the assets from the files so I can use FOSS stuff to actually do the work.

How many in here using Ubuntu on a phone/tablet?

I haven't been able to try it out properly yet, too many probs on my nvidia cards in the lappie and the desktop with nouveau and only the open source drivers work with gnome-wayland. 

X will still be around for a good while yet I should think. Only way legacy apps will run on the new converged devices on Mir/Unity 8 is in little X containers that get sandboxed to meet the security model of the host. So even on phones and tablets X will still be alive in some way for ages yet. 

• Like 1

Â