Ubuntu

Dodgyknees

The debian gnome packages are just an apt-get away. Worst case, you'd need to use a ppa.

Choice is good.

Choice is good, too much choice, or fragmentation is often bad (for a lot of people)

I like the version that MMV posted below. It seems to retain what has become the best kind of layout of presenting folders and stuff easily and simply to people. It doesn't matter what OS people use, to me at least that version just works. It's easy to follow, familiar and clean and neat and simple and intuitive. So it's good that it's been done, but it makes me wonder why the unity approach was really necessary. It's not really an improvement. It's like different for the sake of it. Same as the windows 8 abomination was, and to an extent the same way apple sometimes change things without making them easier for the user. Part of the ease is familiarity, and just already knowing.

This was MMV's post:

The reviews of 14.10 have been less than enthusiastic but the MATE version of 14.04, seems have got this guy excited.

I might have missed something, but Gnome hasn't fragmented has it?. Canonical changed their default window manager in favour of something which works better on a wider variety of devices including touch  This means that there are probably fewer developers working on Gnome (although I don't know this for a fact). it doesn't mean anything has fragmented.

If you are looking for simple interfaces, then KDE down't have "double click" on things. Double click has to be the least intuitive interaction, which is why so many double click when they should single click. Annoyingly, GTK based apps still need double click under KDE.

stuck that 14.04 MATE one on a computer yesterday and it's good. Nice and clean. Really quick. Definitely prefer it to bog standard tazered tapir or whatever it was called, with the funny side dock thingy.

• Like 2

I might have missed something, but Gnome hasn't fragmented has it?. ...

No I meant this bit, Simon

Choice is good, too much choice, or fragmentation is often bad (for a lot of people)

...It seems to retain what has become the best kind of layout of presenting folders and stuff easily and simply to people. It doesn't matter what OS people use, to me at least that version just works. It's easy to follow, familiar and clean and neat and simple and intuitive. So it's good that it's been done, but it makes me wonder why the unity approach was really necessary. It's not really an improvement. It's like different for the sake of it. Same as the windows 8 abomination...

I don't think that describes a fragmentation either. Unity was designed to work on all sizes of interface. Like Windows 8 but without needing the "modes". You might feel that wasn't necessary, but lack of necessity (in your opinion) doesn't make this a fragmentation; it's just a choice.

why does the guy keep saying matay... like satay or pate ? surley its MATE as in good on yer ... ? I had to stop watching the vid it was making me nauseous listing to `matay` 

How do you pronounce linux, ubuntu and debian? None of them are how you might expect....

li-nucks, oo-bun-too, deb-ian

why does the guy keep saying matay... like satay or pate ? surley its MATE as in good on yer ... ? I had to stop watching the vid it was making me nauseous listing to `matay`

How do you pronounce linux, ubuntu and debian? None of them are how you might expect....

li-nucks, oo-bun-too, deb-ian

Trivia n.2 as you well know is that Debian is named after original founder Ian Murdock and his girlfriend Debra Lynn.
  • Like 1

http://mate-desktop.org/

The name "MATE", pronounced Ma-Tay, comes from yerba maté, a species of holly native to subtropical South America. Its leaves contain caffeine and are used to make infusions and a beverage called mate.

Oh well if thats how they say its pronounced then I can't argue, but so used to saying good on yer, it hurts (me) to say ma-tay , like I order a flat white coffee, can't be bothered with a tai-chi frappacino etc.

@limpid , still use linux and li(y)-nux on a daily basis since I can bever remember which was the right way, heard Torvalds saying it once but cant remember which way :)

• 1 year later...

I’m sorry I have to come with bad news.

We were exposed to an intrusion today. It was brief and it shouldn’t impact many people, but if it impacts you, it’s very important you read the information below.

What happened?

Hackers made a modified Linux Mint ISO, with a backdoor in it, and managed to hack our website to point to it.

Does this affect you?

As far as we know, the only compromised edition was Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon edition.

If you downloaded another release or another edition, this does not affect you. If you downloaded via torrents or via a direct HTTP link, this doesn’t affect you either.

Finally, the situation happened today, so it should only impact people who downloaded this edition on February 20th.

Minty hackenings

Â