Ubuntu

Dodgyknees

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Going to give ubuntu another go, going to try lubuntu as my laptop for the past year has been so slow, try something that isnt microsoft. I have relied on pst's in the past and as much as I am aware Thunderbird cant handle them so will go over to imap. I see it handles plex and hopefully chrome/chromecast wont be an issue. Other than that I think the only problem it may have it maybe mp4 files and my wifes ipod. Here goes.

Set up was fairly simple, no real problems so far. Just looking for something that will deal with my wifes ipod now.

How do you mean "deal with"? (I don't have Apple devices so probably can't help, but you might want to expand a little if you are asking for help.)

So he agrees with what I've posted before. I'm not sure why you posted it. Did you watch it?

He even recommends Mint and a range of other distros for old PCs.

So he agrees with what I've posted before. I'm not sure why you posted it. Did you watch it?

He even recommends Mint and a range of other distros for old PCs.

I posted it because I thought it put all the information in one place and specifies which particular Mint is better for older kit.

That's all.

• Like 1

If you guys are after a really fast O.S. then you cant go past "puppy linux"
Download puppy to your desktop then download a programme called unetbootin.
Run unetbooten and put the ISO image of puppy on a USB.
Whenever you want to use puppy just start your P.C. from the USB using "boot options" in your Windows P.C.

puppy runs entirely from USB.

If you guys are after a really fast O.S. then you cant go past "puppy linux"

Download puppy to your desktop then download a programme called unetbootin.

Run unetbooten and put the ISO image of puppy on a USB.

Whenever you want to use puppy just start your P.C. from the USB using "boot options" in your Windows P.C.

puppy runs entirely from USB.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am working through the most popular distros (according to Distro Watch) and so I'll give it a try and see if it is truly idiot-proof. :D

The best looking and most powerful (so the best) OS is quite obviously Kubuntu:

kubuntu_14_04_kde_4_11_2_by_jacekk-d6spc

Solid Ubuntu base and KDE is the perfect combo.

Can't beat Ubuntu as a general purpose base. Debian Testing with more field testing and by far the highest use of any desktop Linux.

• Like 1

Â