Ubuntu

Dodgyknees

I cant get into a discussion about which is the best distro of Linux ( I have not been on it long enough for that ) I am just pointing out t, that I have puppy linux and it has everything other linux distros have.The good thing is ( IMHO ) that you carry it around with you and when you unplug your USB it is gone with no trace of it at all on ypur P.C.

You can still save stuff, it saves it on to the USB.

• Like 1

I have used ubuntu in the past and tended to go back to windows as my wife didnt like it. I needed a change as my laptop was taking 10 minutes to start before I could do anything productive. As I said earlier, went with Lubuntu, installed and all set up very very quickly and start up is now less than a minute. Same with shut down and performance is excellent. 

• 3 weeks later...

This looks like a distro for hard-core Linux types.

If Arch Linux is for those who like to build their own and how they want it, CrunchBang is for compulsive tweakers and aspirant experts.

Looks great but not for 'impatient beginners' like me. :)

Interesting though.

• 2 months later...

Need a little advice. Using banshee to update my wifes ipod, its pretty full so I deleted some tunes. Its showing ample room, so then I drag the new stuff on there, it says its syncing, I eject it and the new tunes arent there but the stuff I deleted is still there. Any help would be great, my wife is questioning my masculinity.

Which are you asking for help with? I'm not sure us techies can help with your masculinity. Or your wife.

(Sorry but I've no experience relevant to your problem.)

Need a little advice. Using banshee to update my wifes ipod, its pretty full so I deleted some tunes. Its showing ample room, so then I drag the new stuff on there, it says its syncing, I eject it and the new tunes arent there but the stuff I deleted is still there. Any help would be great, my wife is questioning my masculinity.

Maybe just reset the iPod to factory settings, then put back on it, what you want. While you're waiting for that to happen, you could get some ironing done, and maybe do the dishes :) 
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Maybe just reset the iPod to factory settings, then put back on it, what you want. While you're waiting for that to happen, you could get some ironing done, and maybe do the dishes :)

Don't forget to make her a sandwich.

Something must have gone severely wrong. Linux runs at least as quickly as older windows versions on the same hardware. People often think it runs more quickly, but that's because they are comparing it to an old windows install which has built up years of cruft.

I've done hundreds of installs and I've never had one that runs slowly, other than where the hardware itself is slow.

I was just using it to browse the Web, I think I was using Firefox, everything just seemed to take 3x as long to load up, although initial load up time for the os was quick. It is installed on a separate partition on the HD, being run on a Sony Viao laptop with an i3 processor and 8gb of RAM.

• 1 month later...

Whats wrong with Ubuntu Gnome if you don't like unity?

Nothing wrong with it, but the seperate site and the default "vanilla" version of Ubuntu being Unity by default indicates Canonical will want to phase out using Gnome on their distro as much as possible. Less inclusion means less support, it won't be long until they treat it as a fork. And God knows if there's anything the linux community needs, it's more forking.

Â