The Randy Lerner thread

CI

He has made mistakes for sure that have effected the well being of the club.... but he ain't the only one.depends where you want to park the "blame" bus.

I prefer to back the Guy that is still with Villa and is trying to put right some of the wrongs.

• Like 1

I prefer to back the Guy that is still with Villa and is trying to put right some of the wrongs.

Is he though?

Why is he doing that and not clearing debt for an easier sell?

Why would he sell? It's one of his last 'big' assets,

Is he though?

Why is he doing that and not clearing debt for an easier sell?

Why would he sell? It's one of his last 'big' assets,

Or drain on his assets?

Pretty much all sports clubs are, however I think he made his choice when he sold the Browns.

Choice of selling the Browns over us or getting out of sport entirely due to his ex taking half?

Browns were straight forward with no debt, us will take a little longer due to him reigning in his debt. 

He has made mistakes for sure that have effected the well being of the club.... but he ain't the only one.depends where you want to park the "blame" bus.

I prefer to back the Guy that is still with Villa and is trying to put right some a lot of the his wrongs.

Now I am at my laptop.

We should never ever trust a custodian of our club 100%, as fans it us our job to question everything and to want the best. Granted, we are not going to win the league any time soon, but what is the point of loving this club so much if we are just going to sit back and accept a low standard of football?

Randy has done well with certain aspects, the pub, giving away free travel, investing money into the club (I will come back to this, as there is a negative and a positive) and he also deserves great credit for bringing Lambert to the club, this has been a big step forward after so many steps backwards.

But at the same time, we all spend a lot of money on this club too, no one man is bigger than the fans and the money we all put in, is just as equal as what Randy has. I am sure spending £3k in a year on the club (as some do) is the same as Randy putting in a large chunk of his own money, it is just that he is richer than most of those who put the £3k in, so the money he puts in is larger, but the representation is the same.

This is why we have every right to question management choices, Houllier and McLeish put us back a few years to the point we had fallen behind a large number of clubs, including some who were in league 1/2 when Lerner took over.

He has invested money - but we must remember, a lot of what he has invested in the past two years has been to cover the mistakes he made, he was very naive to think you could wave a magic money wand and get success, especially as he didn't have the funds to carry it through. This has also put us back a year or two, we are now starting to recover and he has made better decisions, but there still is a long way to go before we are competing above some of the teams who have over-taken us, due to the money and management issues.

Randy deserves credit for the good, but we should also remember, this club is one we put time, effort, money and love into, we will always be here, he will not always be here, he may have a tattoo, but that can be removed. Real love comes from the terraces and this is why we have every right to question the man in charge of our club.

Edited by dodgyknees

Lerne has made his fair share of mistakes but seems to be putting them right with Lambert and backing him in the transfer market. It is likely that he has learnt a lot from these mistakes and how he invested money over the last however many years and now its trying to implement a sustainable and competative model with Lambert in charge. I have always felt Lerner has done what he thinks was right for the club and in some cases would have to admit he messed it up (McLeish) but i can see why he made these decisions. Compare that to the Chelsea merry-go-round and clubs like QPR and Newcastle who have just appointed Kinnear as DOF (How amusing their fall will be)

• Like 1

Lerne has made his fair share of mistakes but seems to be putting them right with Lambert and backing him in the transfer market. 

I stopped right there.

Why?

Re-reading what i wrote i guess it could be misconstrued. I was more trying to point out that lamberts transfers (for the most part) are low fee's/low wages and potential where as in th past it has been the complete opposite. If Lerner was as stupid as some make out then we would have mark hughes or someone of that ilk in charge blowing money on sub par premiership players. All indications are that Lerner has learnt from that approach hence the massive change over the last 2 years in the way the club is being run.

• Like 1

If Lerner was as stupid as some make out then we would have mark hughes or someone of that ilk in charge blowing money on sub par premiership players.

Lerner hired Mcleish. Probably the worst managerial appointment in premier league history.

He also consistently made bad decisions at the browns.

Hiring Lambert doesn't change what he did previously.

If Lerner was as stupid as some make out then we would have mark hughes or someone of that ilk in charge blowing money on sub par premiership players.

Lerner hired Mcleish. Probably the worst managerial appointment in premier league history.

He also consistently made bad decisions at the browns.

Hiring Lambert doesn't change what he did previously.

Well no, but that doesn't stop it being a good thing.

If I was to make a list of the good and bad things Lerner has done since taking I think he'd come out average by modern day standards.

It ok to sit on the fence sometimes.

I still have a big dislike for Randy Lerner for his near catastrophic mismanagement of this club. It would take actual investment on his part in the playing staff to change my views. Every penny he's put into the clum has been in the form of low interest loans. Lets not forget that.

I don't know the exact details of his investment here, but I know that is wrong.

You don't know the details of his investment but know that's wrong? Go figure.

As Risso will remember a few years back all the details of his "investment" in the club became public. All money he has put in was in the form of low interest loans paying 2% + Libor interest. 

Edited by CVByrne

The financial accounts for the year to 31 May 2009 are not due to be filed until the end of next month, so it cannot yet be seen how exactly the money was paid to the club. However, the most recent published figures, for the previous year, to 31 May 2008, reveal that the investment up to then, £49.5m, was in the form of loan notes, from Lerner's holding company in the United States.

During that year the manager Martin O'Neill's signings and a more than doubling of players' wages led to Villa recording a £7.3m loss. The interest paid on the loan notes owed to Lerner's US company was at a fairly standard 2% above interbank rates, amounting to £4m, which came out of Villa's own income, including fans' ticket money.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/27/randy-lerner-aston-villa

I would like more up to date account information though as this is from 2010. 

Edited by CVByrne

Low wages and very low transfer fee's so far. RL is probably laughing at how easy it is tbh. Didn't we spend like 40m at one transfer window ? I'll be happy if we get a Marquee signing aswell as a few more players(Providing we offload a few more aswell ). We're due one anyway.... :(

Â