The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Wow thats some real bullshit there.

Inherited squad that got lowest points total in a premiership season.

Left a squad that achieved the highest points total in a premiership season.

Crazy.

Just because MON can make shite players look good doesnt mean the shite players are good.

Everything isn't as black and white as you post. Yes MON achieved achieved highest point total blah blah blah.... But take Milner, Downing and Young out of that squad and should our wage bill really be anything like it was? Do those players on massive wages deserve it in your opinion? Do you really think they are genuinely that good?

Cos to me MON just knew how to use 11 players very effectively and everything else was just a complete waste.

He left becasue he assembled a pretty poor squad and he knew that with the squad he put together there was no chance of finishing 6th again. MON only cares about the image of MON and to protect that he left, making him look even better by us now then going on to having a shit season.

He's a selfish egotistical word removed.

Did he?

I assume this is a set up for a great piece of point scoring from yourself but i'll bite.

Yes, i believe his last season was our highest premiership points total.

I just find it very hard to believe that the owner has the best interests of Aston Villa as the number one issue when Alex McLeish is continuing to be our manager next season.

On his appointment we were told McLeish was the best fit for the club, it's players and it's fans. I think that has been shown to be complete bollocks.

Lerner will be at the Bolton game, that's what I'm predicting

He was here for the postponement, and Monday arrivals/Wednesday or Thursday departures do appear to be his routine this year.

We shall see.

The fact is that he quit and claimed constructive dismissal.
I wish more people would realise this.

Nothing to realise, as this 'fact' is just another piece of speculation.

The 'fact' is that the club issued a statement saying that he resigned.

The 'fact' is that O'Neill stated, in reference to his Villa departure, that the only club that he has broken a contract with is Norwich City.

Everything else is speculation

One day we will all know. But then that will probably be as part of the gospel according to Saint Martin, so we will probably never know.

Unless of course Doug writes an update to his autobiography :winkold:

Did he?

I assume this is a set up for a great piece of point scoring from yourself but i'll bite.

Yes, i believe his last season was our highest premiership points total.

It wasn't, in the first Premier League, Big Ron's Villa finished with 10 more points (although with more games. granted) and also made the best team O'Neill could muster look amateur by comparison in my opinion as did Brian Little's team and both managers won something and deserve more credibility.

In any case, points totals are relative to the oppostion and quality of the league in any given season. League finishes are far more indicative of quality.

Lerner will be at the Bolton game, that's what I'm predicting

He was here for the postponement, and Monday arrivals/Wednesday or Thursday departures do appear to be his routine this year.

We shall see.

Indeed, think he'll be there Tuesday and he'll be at Carrow Rd last day to meet Delia again

It wasn't, in the first Premier League, Big Ron's Villa finished with 10 more points (although with more games. granted) and also made the best team O'Neill could muster look amateur by comparison in my opinion as did Brian Little's team and both managers won something and deserve more credibility.

In any case, points totals are relative to the oppostion and quality of the league in any given season. League finishes are far more indicative of quality.

Many of us get misty eyed over the football that was played during the reign of BFR.

Similarly the return of Sir Brian, playing decent passing football, capped with a Wembley annihilation, was something else to be misty eyed about.

The fact that elements of our support get misty eyed over the brand Martin O'Neill, and his industrial brand of football, is just another example of the X Factor age that we live in.

I'll grant you this, MON was excellent in local derbies and we were an exciting away team on the break

Would still take BFR, SGT or Littles teams over his and even John Gregory's team at its peak

Brian Little's team and both managers won something and deserve more credibility.

I think both managers are highly rated by villa fans.

You're right about the points but more games.

So he inherited a squad who achieved lowest points in a 38 game season

And left a squad that achieved highest points total in a 38 game season.

I don't think points total should be ignored.

Many of us get misty eyed over the football that was played during the reign of BFR.

Similarly the return of Sir Brian, playing decent passing football, capped with a Wembley annihilation, was something else to be misty eyed about.

The fact that elements of our support get misty eyed over the brand Martin O'Neill, and his industrial brand of football, is just another example of the X Factor age that we live in.

I think it's more of age thing.

If you weren't around for those days in the past then MON's time was the most exciting time for certain fans

Brian Little's team and both managers won something and deserve more credibility.

I think both managers are highly rated by villa fans.

You're right about the points but more games.

So he inherited a squad who achieved lowest points in a 38 game season

And left a squad that achieved highest points total in a 38 game season.

I don't think points total should be ignored.

So he inherited a squad that was seriously under-invested, that already included the two best players of his coming reign.

He went on a spending spree unavailable to any Villa manager previously or since.

And a he left an over-age, overpaid, overrated and entirely underwhelming (in terms of talent) squad.

What I don't get is, if we are to believe that O'Neill did such a marvellous job, where is the credit to Randy Lerner for facilitating this?

And whether he did a good job or not, the football, particularly at VP, was largely shit.

Â