The Randy Lerner thread

CI

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15888139.stm

Europe still the target, says Aston Villa chief executive

Chief executive Paul Faulkner insists Aston Villa are on course to qualify for Europe this season.

Alex McLeish's side sit eighth in the Premier League, seven points adrift of Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal after winning just one of their last five games.

"It's not easy but I believe it's do-able this year," Faulkner said. "We've got a lot of ambition.

"Being in Europe is important psychologically for Villa."

The midlands club won the European Cup in 1982 but this season is the first in four years they have not competed in the Uefa Cup or Europa League.

Unless a club who finish in the top four of the Premier League win the FA Cup or League Cup, only the fifth-placed side in the top-flight qualify for the Europa League.

And Faulkner added: "Europe sits there as a goal and this year that would be our goal. That's what we want to try to achieve.

"The Premier League is very tough but Aston Villa is a great club and we should be up there challenging at the top of the league. We should be there pushing for Europe.

"That's got to be the goal and that should always be the goal for a club like Villa.

"I really do think that, if we can put a good run together, that we've got a good squad."

Faulkner insists Villa's American owner, Randy Lerner, is keen to reach the top four and qualify for the Champions League.

The only English clubs to win the European Cup are Villa, Manchester United, Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

And Faulkner told the Birmingham Mail: "We're still one of only four English clubs to win the European Cup. We want to be experiencing those European nights.

"I know I want that back. I know Randy Lerner wants that back.

"Everyone knows the financial returns from the Europa League aren't as great as the Champions League - but they are still significant."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this an absolute joke?? Are they now so deluded that they think we're capable of attaining European football the way things are going?

This is worrying NOT encouraging.

I read that thinking he was talking about our 2008 season. Has the guy not been watching us this season?

I hope on that basis they have some tricks up their sleeve to get players in January and also some kind of tactical plan against the top sides we are playing in the next 5 weeks!

Bloody Norah!

Haha what a joker. We are not going to qualify for Europe this season. Unless something has changed, I think 6th place is the final Uefa spot, and we're already 7 points adrift from 7th place, even at this early stage of the season (after a relatively easy set of opening fixtures) . Our best chance of Europe is winning a cup, and we're already out of the cup we have most chance in. i'm afraid I have to agree with Richard, in that i think we'll be battling to stay in the PL for most of the season.

i'm afraid I have to agree with Richard, in that i think we'll be battling to stay in the PL for most of the season.

Yes, were shite, but we are'nt that bad! 8th is the realistic aim imo.

No way will we be scraping it out down the bottom.

What is PF's role exactly

From what I can see he's not adding any value whatsoever

I'm thinking his role is similar to that of Comical Ali during the war in Iraq, ie chief BS merchant.

That interview reminds me when GT came back and had a chat with the team.

Merse said he gathered the players up and said he wanted them to go for it that season and aim for top four, as in his opinion they were good enough, Merse sat there shaking his head thinking "He's lost it"

Faulkner is as deluded as GT was back then.

lets go on the assumption that the players who will establish first team spots are

albrighton

gardner

wiemann

clark

(anyone else?)

if the above come in, we would still need to buy in players and most likely end up selling a couple.

We would need some kind of warchest come January to help the second half of the season.

not spending in Jan for us is just not an option.

not spending in Jan for us is just not an option.

I really cannot see us spending in January, Enda Stevens is already signed. Doubt a CM will be signed, nor a CB, possibly a winger? Doubtful considering N'Zogbia was only bought in the summer.

We won't be spending in January. The wage bill is still too high.

Our only chance of bringing players in is if Ireland, Heskey, Beye, Cuellar & Co are moved on. And even then, we'll be bringing in cheaper replacements a la Young/Hutton.

Scary to think who we could bring in to do a worse job than Ireland, Heskey & Beye!

Two or three weeks ago Mysteryman said that we won't be spending in January 'unless something special crops up'. Whilst this is relatively disappointing I do feel as though we have players currently not getting game time that represent far better options than those currently in the starting XI. As soon as Collins, Hutton etc are dropped I can only see us improving.

Â