The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I love the pictures above... makes him look great.... shall i post some of when doug won us actual cups then?

And also find some of money being frittered away and then having to sell assets to pay for it, something Randy is good at.

100% of his appointments have been disastrous so far. Houllier was a head-scratcher, Mcleish even more so (perhaps more like a skull-caver).
Regardless of how it turned out, I don't think the Houllier appointment was a bad one at the time. We'd just had our manager walk out on us right before the start of the season. There weren't really that many options available to us at that time. Houllier did have a fair bit of success and while he had health issues I distinctly remember him being passed fit by his doctor. In hindsight it might look a bad appointment, but as I said, at the time, I don't think it was bad at all.

McLeish on the other hand was as you said, a skull-caver. He'd just gotten SHA relegated after they were looking safe only a few months before. His teams play dire football and he came straight from SHA. While I don't think his SHA connections matter, it did to some people and I'm pretty sure Randy and Faulkner would have had the foresight to know that appointing him with all those things in mind would certainly ruffle a few feathers. Not only that but there were definitely better candidates out there. I just don't understand what their rationale was. It was possibly one of the most bizarre managerial appointments in history.

The other head scratcher is that the appointment came after we were interested in talking to Martinez, who is the complete opposite to McLeish football wise in just about every single way.

I just want the hope back.

When MON was appointed, I had real hope and the ride was interesting but it petered out when it was evident that he just didn't have the tactical nous and flexibility to take us that little bit further.

Ged would not have been my first choice by a long way and he had some bad luck - no pre-season, severe injuries etc. - but I had hope that I might show us why he was so widely respected as a coach and as a man who could develop young talent.

When RL appointed Eck, I lost all hope. This man has never done anything positive in the English game and this, coupled with his BlueNose heritage (2x) and the pressure that brings, was always destined to be a complete failure.

Pretty much this for me!

100% of his appointments have been disastrous so far. Houllier was a head-scratcher, Mcleish even more so (perhaps more like a skull-caver).
Regardless of how it turned out, I don't think the Houllier appointment was a bad one at the time. We'd just had our manager walk out on us right before the start of the season. There weren't really that many options available to us at that time. Houllier did have a fair bit of success and while he had health issues I distinctly remember him being passed fit by his doctor. In hindsight it might look a bad appointment, but as I said, at the time, I don't think it was bad at all.

McLeish on the other hand was as you said, a skull-caver. He'd just gotten SHA relegated after they were looking safe only a few months before. His teams play dire football and he came straight from SHA. While I don't think his SHA connections matter, it did to some people and I'm pretty sure Randy and Faulkner would have had the foresight to know that appointing him with all those things in mind would certainly ruffle a few feathers. Not only that but there were definitely better candidates out there. I just don't understand what their rationale was. It was possibly one of the most bizarre managerial appointments in history.

The other head scratcher is that the appointment came after we were interested in talking to Martinez, who is the complete opposite to McLeish football wise in just about every single way.

It just highlights the sheer incompetency of the men in charge of this club, or rather lack of control over it. Just stumbling from one disaster to the next.

Anyone else think its a coincidence Lerner stays in America when things go shit here, yet he's now over here once the Browns kick up a fuss? I think not.

I think Doug would have relegated us, Randy's investment kept us up.

And his selling of top stars to cover his debt and the appointment of managers who are not up to it might relegate us and leave us in a terrible mess, more than relegation under Doug would (and Doug was BAD for the club!)

And his selling of top stars to cover his debt and the appointment of managers who are not up to it might relegate us and leave us in a terrible mess, more than relegation under Doug would (and Doug was BAD for the club!)

I don't think the threat of relegation is anywhere near the same as it was under Doug.

I don't think the threat of relegation is anywhere near the same as it was under Doug.
come back in 7 or 8 games and say the same

Lack of investment, sale of players, ageing squad and a manager who cannot get the defence, midfield or attack working other than perhaps Gabby suggests we are in for a struggle this season and with the teams at the bottom (other than Blackburn and Wigan) managing to put results together we are definitely looking at a struggle.

Lack of investment, sale of players, ageing squad and a manager who cannot get the defence, midfield or attack working other than perhaps Gabby suggests we are in for a struggle this season and with the teams at the bottom (other than Blackburn and Wigan) managing to put results together we are definitely looking at a struggle.

The threat of relegation was very real under Doug, we weren't good enough in a few positions. Now we really should have enough to stay up.

come back in 7 or 8 games and say the same
After 38 games I'm confident we should still be a Premiership team.

No they don't, you're right. But someone as clueless as has been suggested wouldn't have delivered what has been 4 years out of 5 and a bit of the Club doing well and growing etc.

My point being that yes he's made errors, money hasn't always been well spent and managerial choices have been "unfortunate" but now the world's changed financially and in the football landscape we shouldn't ignore the real evidence of the good as well as the bad..

Sorry Pete, but disagree again. I don't think that lending the club a load of money and then wasting half of it is evidence of anything good at all. We now have a squad that's no stronger than when Lerner arrived, but with a whole load more debt. The net value of the club (ie assets less liabilities) is worth less than under Ellis.

I know, I know, but once in a while I have to bite just to vent some frustration...........I know he's a bluenose, and it frustates me more that I do respond once in a while

What a load of **** shit!

I'm a bluenose because i wont jump on the band wagon that Lerner is this god awful terrible owner.

Nobody can seem to answer me why he wasn't a terrible owner when he was spending bucket loads and we had MON along with contributing to improving the infrastructure?

This thread and all the other bollocks spouting ones didn't exist then, why not; if he is this awful terrible owner?

Are we threatened with going completely out of business, to be a football club at all; because the way some folk are acting we are, its that bad apparently!

Then all of a sudden Villa fans are brown football experts, experts at running football clubs, experts and knowing what managers and players are coming.

All that Lerner has done all that terrible stuff like the training ground is nothing, thats terrible; well it would be if some Villa fans should be believed.

Get a **** grip, for some its an agenda, if he sacked eck, sacked PF got rid of all his money and earned it rather than being given it, made browns amazing told the fans every single thing, people would still have a problem!

There are more clubs in this country in the same position than us and a hell of a lot more worse off than us as well, yet some fans seem to think we're automatically should be doing this and that because we're Villa.

Pathetic.

I'm a bluenose because i wont jump on the band wagon that Lerner is this god awful terrible owner

I for one am not saying you are a bluenose, but to use this bit of your post if I may when responding to your other posts,

I and other Villa fans are "bastards" and "pathetic" (to use your description) then just because we do not believe Randy is a good owner?

I and other Villa fans are "bastards" and "pathetic" (to use your description) then just because we do not believe Randy is a good owner?

You seem the type so.

Quote me where i said..

"Your a bastard for thinking Lerner is a bad owner"

As i may have said that but cannot remember, you like mention it a lot so i'll play a long and let you quote it as you've been itching.

Some of the arguments for why he is a bad owner are pathetic, some are thought out and not knee jerk after each loss, but vanish after a win.

Nobody can seem to answer me why he wasn't a terrible owner when he was spending bucket loads and we had MON along with contributing to improving the infrastructure?

This thread and all the other bollocks spouting ones didn't exist then, why not; if he is this awful terrible owner?

I remember a lot of people being concerned at the time when MON was spending loads on mediocre (at best) players. Obviously, that concern was directed at MON's transfer policy rather than Randy's ownership... but we weren't to know that the Great Depression was around the corner.

Randy put all his eggs into one basket: achieving Champions League qualification with MON, and doing it the quick way (i.e. spending a lot). We came very close. However, now those eggs are gone, we have very little revenue coming in, we have dwindling crowds, and we haven't got any way of competing at the right end of the table any more.

I'm not saying Lerner is an 'awful terrible owner'. I don't think anyone would go that far. But he has failed badly at some of the basics.

Â