The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I'd love to be like Man City. Similar ticket price but instead of 2-3 home wins a season we get to see 18-19. World class players galore to the point some of them don't make the bench. They've kept their name, badge, colours etc. too.

If Randy sold us to someone like that all mistakes would be completely forgiven in my book.

• Like 2

Problem is, a mega rich owner is now pretty much becoming the norm. Not saying, I would not welcome it, but I would imagine it would still only leave us battling for 6th/7th at best, only this time we would be able to afford to run at a loss. 

I'd love to be like Man City. Similar ticket price but instead of 2-3 home wins a season we get to see 18-19. World class players galore to the point some of them don't make the bench. They've kept their name, badge, colours etc. too.

If Randy sold us to someone like that all mistakes would be completely forgiven in my book.

It'd be horrible, for me.  Just look at the Man City fanbase - they've turned from being the darlings of Manchester to a bunch of spoilt brats (almost).  They (and other clubs) destroy anything that resembles the soul of football.  Players don't go to these clubs to progress; it's all just pure greed.

Top scorer in the Bundesliga?  Yeah, we'll just sign him for £30m and stick him on the bench.

Terrible, terrible attitude.  I'd hate it, I really would :(

• Like 1

99% sure we will have a new owner, probably by June.

How can you be so sure?

Just a feeling based on a number of different things, I genuinely believe it too.

Just curious, like what?

Don't really want to get into semantics here but 99% is pretty damn certain. I mean, if Randy Lerner told me himself he was definitely selling in the summer I still wouldn't be 99% certain we'd have a new owner then as these deals can always fall through.

I honestly wouldn't care if our fans became spoilt, 95% of us are moaning rocket polishers anyway. I'm not even sure that does/would happen either tbh. All fan bases are full of spiteful, unintelligent words removed, but its only when they're winning they get called out on it.

Also, the soul of football can't be destroyed by buying players. I don't get why people are happy for us to plunder players from Genk, Crewe etc. because we're bigger but see being at the top of the food chain as a bad thing. Either we bring all our players through the academy or we play the taking candy from the smaller kids game.

I'd rather Dzeko coming off the bench than Fonz too. These players are grown men, if they'd rather earn more money and win more trophies than play more minutes then that's on them.

All very good points.

It'd be horrible, for me.  Just look at the Man City fanbase - they've turned from being the darlings of Manchester to a bunch of spoilt brats (almost).  They (and other clubs) destroy anything that resembles the soul of football.  Players don't go to these clubs to progress; it's all just pure greed.

Top scorer in the Bundesliga?  Yeah, we'll just sign him for £30m and stick him on the bench.

I would just focus and enjoy Villa being successful rather than worrying about the soul of football. It is irretrievable. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

It might sound a bit mental, but Cameron being a Villa fan, a club with the potential to be amongst the elite but in dire need of investment, would have almost certainly came up if this guy is looking to get into football.

Not that anyone of sound judgement should listen to David Cameron. Just saying, we were probably mentioned.

• Like 1

It might sound a bit mental, but Cameron being a Villa fan, a club with the potential to be amongst the elite but in dire need of investment, would have almost certainly came up if this guy is looking to get into football.

Not that anyone of sound judgement should listen to David Cameron. Just saying, we were probably mentioned.

I was looking at the DWG website and it seems Wang had a meeting with the Villarreal president recently, maybe he is searching for the real Villa? ;)  

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

Thing is he's not a villa fan. It pArt of his man of the people bullshit

This is very true. And it is a general problem with football. Getting a mega rich owner is the best of two evils, but it just so sad to see the direction football is taking. 

Thing is he's not a villa fan. It pArt of his man of the people bullshit

How do you figure? Pretty sure if he wanted to pretend to support a football team to connect with the public he'd choose a more popular team.

Â