The Randy Lerner thread

CI

a baggies fan on twitter posting "my mom got told by someone at villa..." reliable source then

if we were being sold to red bull id bet there are maybe 2/3 at best who know about it, probably not even lambert

for start don't they put a transfer embargo on until the acquisition has gone through? 2nd week in jan obviously being a great time to buy a club then

It's for the end of the season Edited by villan_007

I personally think selling to anybody will be a good thing for Villa. With Lerner in charge we will be a Championship team in the next 3 years. I'm sure of that.

I disagree, 'anybody' is not the way forward.

I personally think selling to anybody will be a good thing for Villa. With Lerner in charge we will be a Championship team in the next 3 years. I'm sure of that.

I disagree, 'anybody' is not the way forward.

If we sell to crap owners with bad intentions then I guess we're damned if we're do and we're damned if we don't.

Were not being bought by red bull, im sure even randy would turn down their offers.

Because he cares so my much about us?

I think he cares enough not to sell us to someone who will completely sell us out yes.

I find it hard to believe that a man who hired McLeish and gave the manager such limited funds when we were desperate last January really cares about us.

I don't care about name changes and stuff. Not one bit.  If I have to sit there and watch Red Bull Villa lifting the F.A Cup, Premier League or Champions League trophies, I'll do so with happiness.

It would be a shame, I agree wholeheartedly, but if it's going to stop my football team being the best it can possibly be, I honestly couldn't give a shiney shite.

Football sold its soul long before Red Bull *anything* came along.

Villa fans would still be "going up the Villa" on a Saturday. 

I don't care about name changes and stuff. Not one bit.  If I have to sit there and watch Red Bull Villa lifting the F.A Cup, Premier League or Champions League trophies, I'll do so with happiness.

It would be a shame, I agree wholeheartedly, but if it's going to stop my football team being the best it can possibly be, I honestly couldn't give a shiney shite.

Football may have sold it's soul but that doesn't mean the fans have to too.

It can only ever be Aston Villa for me. Period.

So what would you do if we did change to Villa Red Bulls? Stop going? Support a team like FC Manchester? 

I'd like to win trophies please, rather than thinking "hmm, should I go to the Sheffield match? Nah, because when we lose it'll ruin my weekend". 

This, give me another 50 years of my life with aston villa fc being shit than changing to some red bull joke.

We've been through all this is the red bull thread in the other football forum anyway, its not happening.

So what would you do if we did change to Villa Red Bulls? Stop going? Support a team like FC Manchester? 

I'd like to win trophies please, rather than thinking "hmm, should I go to the Sheffield match? Nah, because when we lose it'll ruin my weekend". 

I presumably along with 35,000 others would start a mass protest & hound who ever it was who tried to inflict this misery onto us out of Villa Park.

Randy has always respected the traditions of Aston Villa & is also very proud of our great history..

Personally I think it's to clear the old loan notes, but there's no way to know at present.  It won't make any difference overall in any case, as we'd just be swapping interest free debt for equity, which as it's all Lerner, wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to the club itself.  It would just be Lerner circulating cash around his various interests.  It could be a brand new investor of course, but somehow I doubt that too.

I think it makes a big difference, in a small way.

Firstly, the club in terms of rules and being an entity owes 90 million quid less to creditors than it did before the money was put in.To my way of thinking that's a very good thing, and seems to indicate that the money Randy borrowed to fund early spending, is no longer owed to (presumably) the Lerner trust. A large sum of debt is cleared from the books. He's clearly taken responsibility for his financial decision and the football club is not paying the price, he has done so personally, which is the honourable way to operate, a way of integrity.

While I share your view that it's unlikely to lead to suddenly altered spending patterns on players or wages etc. it's still a good thing, in the long term think.

I agree that it would make a difference to Fair Play Rules, if we needed to concern ourselves with that, that is.  On the bigger point, I'm afraid it really doesn't amount to a whole hill of beans.  It's all Randy's money in one way or another, and it's possible that the money to buy the shares has come from the trust as well.  If the cash is paid in, then goes straight out to pay off loans, we're no better off cash wise.  The accounts say that the loans are from "the parent undertaking" so if it is the trust, then they must own Reform Acquisitions LLC as well.

Randy has always respected the traditions of Aston Villa & is also very proud of our great history..

Like when he paid our rivals compensation to employ the worst manager we've possibly ever had? Or taking a club that rarely worried about going down and seeing them have 3, possibly 4, consecutive seasons where relegation is a worry?

• Like 1

Before this happened I wrote this

The club doesn't really owe the owner any money for his spending in any meaningful way. Effectively, all he's done is increase the amount of money he's paid for the club...it only really affects the profit or loss Lerner will make when he sells the club. Ultimately, it's his problem rather than ours.

I wish that were so. I don't think it quite is though. Money borrowed from the Family Trust has to be paid back. He could pay it back from his own money, but that lent money is not "his". I think I'm right in saying that the people who run the trust legally have to safeguard the money it holds. So yes they can agree to lend it out, but they also have a duty to recover it.

If that's right, then it'll have to be paid back. I think what he did was write off all the interest on the loans, by paying it himself, rather than the club having to pay it back, but I still think the actual capital will have to be repaid, and that'll (I think) come from operating profit. In other words, now the wages are under control, the profit the club makes will in part if not in full go to paying back those loans, and probably over a period of years, unless he either sells up, or decides to pay it from his personal funds.

. Which was and is my thinking - by doing that last bit - paying it off himself, it meanspotentially the money the club makes could goto playingresources instead of being used to pay off the debt he's now paid off himself. That's a major, major plus.

A trust has a legal duty to act in the best interest of the beneficiaries, not the trust itself.  The interest was just written off as far as I'm aware, and not actually physically repaid.

Like when he paid our rivals compensation to employ the worst manager we've possibly ever had? Or taking a club that rarely worried about going down and seeing them have 3, possibly 4, consecutive seasons where relegation is a worry?

Check your Villa history. Doug Ellis was once a Director of small heath & we have been relegated previously even as low as the old 3rd Division. So where is the difference?

Debt paid off and now a massive earner off the wage bill.

Running out of excuses.

Yeah I know! Ireland is gone, what, 3 hours? FFS Randolph! :P
  • Like 1

Â