Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Norwich fan here. I went to the game on Saturday so I thought I would chip in with my two cents. I can understand why you are concerned because it is your worst start for 43 years. But when Lambert was in charge of us we actually started very slowly as well. We drew 0-0 with Walsall (still the worst game of professional football I have ever seen), got outmuscled in a 2-1 defeat by MK Dons and were exceptionally fortunate to burgle late draws against Gillngham and Charlton. But ultimately it was the start of something. He was able to give every player in the squad a chance to show whether they were capable of doing a job at first team level. Some previously unheralded players responded brilliantly and became fixtures in the side. I also wouldn't be too concerned about his attitude towards senior professionals. Originally Wes Hoolahan was excluded altogether from the squad and was later reintroduced. If a player is good enough and has the right attitude they will play matches under him. We also at least started to look like a vaguely organised team during those games as well. Which I felt Villa did on Saturday. You will notice that with 10 men you were very disciplined. You didn't chase the ball like headless chickens. You stayed in formation and shape making it very difficult for Norwich to break through.

This isn't going to happen overnight for you guys. The team has been in decline for a couple of years and money is scarce. For where your club is at the moment now in terms of limited finance and investment, Lambert represents the best option around of you arresting this slide. Don't simply write off his signings as lower league players who aren't good enough. Every player has to start somewhere. The likes of Joe Hart, Joleon Lescott, Leighton Baines, Darren Bent and many others all started life as football league players. I thought in particular Matthew Lowton looked a player of good promise and Joe Bennett has had very good reviews for Middlesborough despite being rocky for you at the weekend. Lambert is giving the club a clear direction which is to inject a core of young, hungry players back into a lop sided and ageing squad. You have already suffered numerous times from chopping and changing since O'Neill left. Now is the time to stay strong and back your manager. Who for me is one of the most exciting prospects in Europe.

I also don't think you can judge him tactically yet either. Your squad is paper thin (like ours was) when he took over. As things develop over time and he is able to acquire more players he will be able to play different systems. To start with we were very one dimensional relying on the diamond but as our player base expanded we are now able to playing 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 and the diamond system all with great success. I think we may even have attempted to play 3-5-2 this season had he stayed with his German influences to coaching. The best thing you can do is support a young manager and young team through a difficult settling in period. I think he has the capability to do for you what Moyes has done for Everton in the long term.

Non villa fan post of the season award to you sir.

Maybe some of the doom druids on here will proberbly accuse you of being stupid or on crack or something for your realism.

This

And it baffles me how many people overlook this

what? he walked out on livingston after a few months of awful results. he was at wycombe amd they were the favorites for promotion, he failed to get an automatic spot then lost in the play off semi and again walked out. colchester were amongst the favorites for a play off spot they finished 9th and he stuck around for 1 game the season after and left for norwich. he failed in his first 3 jobs before norwich

Just watched the post match Interview with Lambert.

His opening words in response to Jack's statement "well we've had some thrilling performances in these cup ties havent we paul"

he said: "Well its from their own doing - they got complacent" He has actually acknowledged that it wasn't good enough conceding 2 goals.

He also went on to say the clubs in a transition period and we've had a few ups and downs and we will continue to have ups and downs. Some good words from Paul tonight I think, instead of the usual drivel.

It's the lack of midfield, the lack of prescense and our inability to dictate the play. We effectively danced to a league 1 tune second half which is bloody embarrassing. How many of our midfielders would get into the Swindon side ?

It's the lack of midfield, the lack of prescense and our inability to dictate the play. We effectively danced to a league 1 tune second half which is bloody embarrassing. How many of our midfielders would get into the Swindon side ?

Come on mate. All of them. Lets not get daft. We won a cup game in a scrappy manner. Thats sometimes what good teams do. Sooner that than be here talking about how "we deserved to win but they took their chances" which is an all too familiar conversation.

Lets enjoy being in the quarters!

I can accept just about playing Bennett or Lichaj in PL games (neither are good enough IMHO), but Stevens is a further downgrade on those two. He simply cannot be playing PL games. He'd struggle to play League 2 and needs to be loaned out to gain experience.

Yeah, but I'd rather see Enda make mistakes and possibly learn from them than Warnock make the same stupid mistakes game after game that continually screw us over.

I'd rather Clark/Baker is fit and we play lowton at right back and either play Lichaj at LB, or bennett or invest in an experienced LB

I remember a Conference Exeter side taking Manure to a 0-0 draw in the FA Cup. In 2005, which was Manure's poorest season of the recent years.

Still, would you write their players off with the same stupid bullshit you have leveled at ours?

Burton Albion have done the same more recently. But how many Manure players would even get into the Burton side???????

I remember a Conference Exeter side taking Manure to a 0-0 draw in the FA Cup. In 2005, which was Manure's poorest season of the recent years.

Still, would you write their players off with the same stupid bullshit you have leveled at ours?

Burton Albion have done the same more recently. But how many Manure players would even get into the Burton side???????

RVP probably would I would say. Maybe Kagawa. Other than that Utd are average at best.

Just watched the post match Interview with Lambert.

His opening words in response to Jack's statement "well we've had some thrilling performances in these cup ties havent we paul"

he said: "Well its from their own doing - they got complacent" He has actually acknowledged that it wasn't good enough conceding 2 goals.

He also went on to say the clubs in a transition period and we've had a few ups and downs and we will continue to have ups and downs. Some good words from Paul tonight I think, instead of the usual drivel.

That is the other thing you will appreciate over time. His press conferences may sound utterly boring and you can predict what will be said after you've heard them twice. However they are actually masterful. He is able to say a lot without actually saying anything. He never criticises the team or any individuals in public. Which is why ultimately I don't think he will ever lose a dressing room. The whole thing is a front. How he goes about his business behind the scenes is a totally different scenario.