Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I don't think 18 months is long enough at all really. I think most of this season is about mid-table consolation. We may start to see some better football towards the end of this season and into next. I've seen nothing to suggest that this is how Lambert wants us to play in the long term.

I hope you're right. I've got about 13 games of evidence this season to suggest that this is how he does want us to play.

I'm not saying 18 months gets you the finished article but you should expect to see his stamp. I hope to God this isn't it.

• Like 1

Oh and I wonder if anyone will use berbatov to mock morpheous tonight?

Berbatov is a liability - he turns up for one in ten games - playing for a transfer in January at the moment

We would have been relegated if we had signed Berbatov

I don't think 18 months is long enough at all really. I think most of this season is about mid-table consolation. We may start to see some better football towards the end of this season and into next. I've seen nothing to suggest that this is how Lambert wants us to play in the long term.

I hope you're right. I've got about 13 games of evidence this season to suggest that this is how he does want us to play.

I'm not saying 18 months gets you the finished article but you should expect to see his stamp. I hope to God this isn't it.

I did say I've seen no evidence that this is how he wants us to play long term. You can hardly call 13 games long term. His Norwich team and even us for a lot of last season played ok football so it's not like he's come in and played this kind of football for the entire time.

I just can't see him magically turning into a manager who plays proper football.  He didn't with Colchester or Norwich, and he doesn't with us.  It's absolutely excruciating to watch the dross he serves up.

At Norwich, despite limited resources, he played exciting, attacking football

You, like me, have no idea what sort of football he played at Colchester

• Like 1

Serious question

When we loose - and we are all hurting, the team we devote hours and pounds to has just been beaten. What would you like the manager to say to make you feel better ? - Not just Lambert ....any manager of Aston Villa ?

"The players can look at their own performance over the next few days, here is what I think I got wrong today - <Insert Manager talking about decisions he made which he believes were a mistake>"

That would work for me.

So tell the next team you play what you'll change? That would be genius.

One of Lamberts traits though is he WILL tinker and completely change style. Compare how we played at West Ham start of last season versus this season. Last season i counted at least four different formations and styles. He changes, that is who he is.

He did the same at Norwich and he is doing the same with us.

If you dont like how Villa are playing right now then just wait , it will change, then change again.

This can be frustrating (I LOVED how we started last season stylistically and was annoyed we changed) but also it can be hopeful if we are playing a style you do not like.

Serious question

When we loose - and we are all hurting, the team we devote hours and pounds to has just been beaten. What would you like the manager to say to make you feel better ? - Not just Lambert ....any manager of Aston Villa ?

"The players can look at their own performance over the next few days, here is what I think I got wrong today - <Insert Manager talking about decisions he made which he believes were a mistake>"

That would work for me.

So tell the next team you play what you'll change? That would be genius.

No, I said ;  say what mistakes you made this time against this team. You need say nothing about the next opponent.

There is no magic answer to getting us playing well and winning, but I would like us to try and stop three up front or five in midfield and three at the back bollocks.

If everyone is fit I would go with:

Gabby -- Benteke (or Kozak)

Tonev -- Bacuna (or Sylla) -- Delph -- Albrighton

Luna -- Clark -- Vlaar -- Lowton

Guzan

If we are going to go with counter attacking football then we need width and overlapping full backs, now I am not convinced by Tonev either and Albrighton has yet to really get a convincing run out, but at least this is their natural positions. Maybe even swap Bacuna for Alrbrighton, he can play central midfield or did in Holland.

Steel in the middle - pace down the sides.

I am not saying we would win with the above, but at least it would make more sense than playing endless passes at the back and then hoofing it.

Lambo, if you read this I want to ask a favour. Please do not play with a central three in defence against Man United next week. If you do decide to go with a back three of Clark, Herd, Baker or Lowton, Herd/Clark and Baker we will get destroyed.

Don't know why but I sense that you'll do something crazy like this with the hope of the full backs making us into a midfield five with a front two of Gabby and Benteke. I think that would be a disaster for us because three centre backs has led to many embarrassing performances under your management.

There is no magic answer to getting us playing well and winning, but I would like us to try and stop three up front or five in midfield and three at the back bollocks.

If everyone is fit I would go with:

Gabby -- Benteke (or Kozak)

Tonev -- Bacuna (or Sylla) -- Delph -- Albrighton

Luna -- Clark -- Vlaar -- Lowton

Guzan

If we are going to go with counter attacking football then we need width and overlapping full backs, now I am not convinced by Tonev either and Albrighton has yet to really get a convincing run out, but at least this is their natural positions. Maybe even swap Bacuna for Alrbrighton, he can play central midfield or did in Holland.

Steel in the middle - pace down the sides.

I am not saying we would win with the above, but at least it would make more sense than playing endless passes at the back and then hoofing it.

For the Man United game I would make sure we have some combative in front of the back four. Fellaini always bullies us and he will sit off the front and win balls all day long if we let him. I'd go with 4-4-1-1

-------------------------Guzan------------------

Lowton Danocien Clark Baker

----------------------------Herd------------------

Bacuna Westwood Delph Gabby

--------------------------Benteke------------------

I did say I've seen no evidence that this is how he wants us to play long term. You can hardly call 13 games long term. His Norwich team and even us for a lot of last season played ok football so it's not like he's come in and played this kind of football for the entire time.

I chose the word evidence carefully. I have no proof but 13 games (or so) so far this season is definitely evidence. I do agree with you that the football was so much better at the end of last season though, which is the reason I want him to have plenty of time to prove me wrong - doesn't mean this football (if that's what it can be called) is above criticism.

I can't say I paid an awful lot of attention to Norwich before the PL connection. Like many I was too busy self-harming over 'the one who cannot be named'. And I know Absolutely nothing about his time at Colchester.

For the Man United game I would make sure we have some combative in front of the back four. Fellaini always bullies us and he will sit off the front and win balls all day long if we let him. I'd go with 4-4-1-1

-------------------------Guzan------------------

Lowton Danocien Clark Baker

----------------------------Herd------------------

Bacuna Westwood Delph Gabby

--------------------------Benteke------------------

I think Luna will be back for this one and anyway I think highly unlikely to blood Danocien in a game like this

I understand Lambert likes Herd for the roll in front of the back four but still think that Sylla would be prefered here

Delph is suspended so maybe Weimann comes back in (although he was awful today)

Edited by VillaCas

I chose the word evidence carefully. I have no proof but 13 games (or so) so far this season is definitely evidence. I do agree with you that the football was so much better at the end of last season though, which is the reason I want him to have plenty of time to prove me wrong - doesn't mean this football (if that's what it can be called) is above criticism.

I can't say I paid an awful lot of attention to Norwich before the PL connection. Like many I was too busy self-harming over 'the one who cannot be named'. And I know Absolutely nothing about his time at Colchester.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to criticise about the current style of football, I just don't think it's the long term aim that's all.

He seems to be set in the team he picks at the moment, wiemann always gets a start despite being horrific, bacuna at RB even though he isnt one i mean he can do a job there but not consistently game after game and we have a good rb on the bench. He seems to just freeze people out and thats that which is annoying.

Biggest disappointment for me is that in terms of performances we haven't kicked on from last season where for the last quarter of last season we played some nice attacking stuff.

Stats will show we've tightened up defensively however I get the impression we could get 4 or 5 put past us at any time. West Brom should certainly have done so before we bucked our ideas up in the last half hour and even today Fulham could have had another couple.

I find it quite worrying that we have played some pretty poor sides recently in West Ham, Hull, Sunderland and Fulham and taken 3 just points off them. Throw into that mix we were poor against Cardiff for 75 minutes and had just 23% possession against Southampton and somehow with 3 shots on target and a wonder goal won then for at least 2 months now our performances have been extremely poor.

We have for me been fortunate to have picked up so many points based on some of the crap we have served up. Don't get me wrong I'm thankful we have picked up the points, am still happy that Lambert is manager but I simply can't kid myself that what we are being served up is nothing short of dire at times and needs to improve fast or else I can see us again struggling. January transfer window can't come quick enough. I just hope Lambert is backed.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Biggest disappointment for me is that in terms of performances we haven't kicked on from last season where for the last quarter of last season we played some nice attacking stuff.

Stats will show we've tightened up defensively however I get the impression we could get 4 or 5 put past us at any time. West Brom should certainly have done so before we bucked our ideas up in the last half hour and even today Fulham could have had another couple.

I find it quite worrying that we have played some pretty poor sides recently in West Ham, Hull, Sunderland and Fulham and taken 3 just points off them. Throw into that mix we were poor against Cardiff for 75 minutes and had just 23% possession against Southampton and somehow with 3 shots on target and a wonder goal won then for at least 2 months now our performances have been extremely poor.

We have for me been fortunate to have picked up so many points based on some of the crap we have served up. Don't get me wrong I'm thankful we have picked up the points, am still happy that Lambert is manager but I simply can't kid myself that what we are being served up is nothing short of dire at times and needs to improve fast or else I can see us again struggling. January transfer window can't come quick enough. I just hope Lambert is backed.

We still won both of those games.

I also don't know why so much attention gets given to "wonder goals" like Bacuna's against Cardiff or Delph's against Southampton. Are really good individual goals less valuable in a game or something?

Its pretty simple. Don't tell fans to give him time and think long term when you weren't prepared to do it. And don't complain if people want him sacked as so did you last year.

Its pretty simple. Don't tell fans to give him time and think long term when you weren't prepared to do it. And don't complain if people want him sacked as so did you last year.

Emmm, no but if we had won?

Before I get the obligatory 'so you wanted us to lose' I sincerely wish we had stuffed Fulham irrespective of the stick I would have received.