Paul Lambert

Pilchard

There is something technically very poor about the team, the way no-one seems to be able to make runs or recognise where another player is going to run into. We don't seem to be able to create more than a couple of passes forward without losing possession. Our first touch is often poor.

For some reason we just seemed to end up with four players in the left hand corner of the pitch with no-one actually able to break down Sunderland's defence.

If Gabby, Benteke and Weimann aren't all firing on all cylinders we offer nothing going forward, and clearly none of them are.

it'a a tedious cliche but we need someone in the middle who can dictate play and pull the strings, you can sometimes see KEA, Westwood and KEA try but in many ways we just lack quality, and it is something Lambert has to address.

In pre-season Gardener and Helenius were two players who looked like they had a bit of composure and ability to pass forward, something has to be changed.

Edited by VillanousOne

We all asked for a manager to come in and do a similar job that Moyes did at Everton - he seems to be doing that - indeed with no (or nominal) funds forthcoming- its hard to see him transforming us quickly. I don't agree with all his purchases - or the formation at times - but we've become gritty and hard to beat - hopefully we can progress on from this.

• Like 4

"We all asked for a manager to come in and do a similar job that Moyes did at Everton....."

Who wants to spend literally thousands of pounds  to watch a team that is hard to beat? Recent performances have been dire almost as bad as the McLeish era.  The first 20 mins against the Baggies, today, everton, West Ham away, Hull away, etc ...the number of games we've won at home since last January is laughable.

I've followed Villa through some shit seaons in the last few years but even I am getting to the point where I am saying to myself - why waste 5 hours travelling to watch  the shite we saw today ? We were lucky not to lose today.

Edited by gwentvillan
  • Like 1

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/3853/Stages/7794/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2013-2014

Bottom 3 for possession, passing success - how is that success for a manager who is supposed to build him team around such qualities ?

If Randy gave him some money then maybe we could improve but we seem content with being 'out of the relelgation' zone.  Unlike teams like Southampton who have ambition.

Edited by gwentvillan

"We all asked for a manager to come in and do a similar job that Moyes did at Everton....."

Who wants to spend literally thousands of pounds  to watch a team that is hard to beat? Recent performances have been dire almost as bad as the McLeish era.  The first 20 mins against the Baggies, today, everton, West Ham away, Hull away, etc ...the number of games we've won at home since last January is laughable.

I've followed Villa through some shit seaons in the last few years but even I am getting to the point where I am saying to myself - why waste 5 hours travelling to watch  the shite we saw today ? We were lucky not to lose today.

We were actually really good to watch for most of the game against Everton. Have no idea why you lumped that in there. Also, for the most part we looked decent against West Brom.

And I still don't think this is where Lambert wants us to ultimately be. It's clear to me that he's trying to strike a balance between being tough to break down and being attacking.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/3853/Stages/7794/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2013-2014

Bottom 3 for possession, passing success - how is that success for a manager who is supposed to build him team around such qualities ?

Also 10th in the league.

Edited by Mantis

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2515877/Southampton-masterplan-win-Premier-League.html

yes but only because the other teams below us are REALLY poor not because we have AMBITION.

Cardiff appear to have more ambition than us.

We've already been through our "ambitious" phase (in other words spending lots of money). People need to understand that very few clubs can sustain very high levels of spending for a sustained period.

If Randy gave him some money then maybe we could improve but we seem content with being 'out of the relelgation' zone.  Unlike teams like Southampton who have ambition.

Exactly right.  Piss poor at possession and pass completion, and number one for long balls per game.  I really, really dislike Lambert's approach to football.  

Edited by Risso
  • Like 1

Completely off topic but I'd imagine we'd be in a pretty good position if we could have got Martinez when we went for him.

Do you really think so ? 

I think Martinez coming in when Lambert did would have been Houllier all over again - Of the 'Rising star' managers Martinez, Rodgers, Lambert - I think we got the best one suited to the task required at Villa park. Rodgers was floundering at Anfield until the board, dropped there prudent approach and give him cash, for Countino, Sturidge, Mignolet  - and sweep the £12m for Joe Allen under the carpet.

Don't forget Martinez, inherited a very good side at Everton - whilst Lambert took a couple shambles at Villa.

• Like 1

A complete shambles?

The complete shambles was caused by Lambert making changes too quickly which very nearly relegated us.

One other point. I find it incredulous that our league position at the same time last year was excused by too early in the season to judge syndrome yet our position this season is accepted as a note of improvement.

Completely off topic but I'd imagine we'd be in a pretty good position if we could have got Martinez when we went for him.

He's a much better manager, for sure.

How long was he at Wigan?  Yet they were constantly in a relegation battle every single year.

Lambert had to totally cut back & rebuild Villa last season and yet we were not the team relegated.

Exactly right.  Piss poor at possession and pass completion, and number one for long balls per game.  I really, really dislike Lambert's approach to football.

Lets see how Southmampton are doing after the’ve played some decent teams, the hardest up until last week were Liverpool and Utd, one they won the other they drew. We beat Arsenal and City. They are now playing some decent teams, if they come through it still doing well fair play, but i doubt everyone will be creaming over them then.

Lambert and the progression boils down to what you expect, people seem to expect the world and us to be back to top 6 straight away

Lambert decided to take the extreme approach and cut right back, rightly or wrongly he did it get over it, we were almost relegated but we weren’t. Along the same time we scored plenty and were fairly entertaining but conceded shit loads and that almost cost us.

Now this season we are sorting out the conceding but are scoring less and subsequently less entertaining, which would you prefer? To moan about us getting relegated but we score plenty. Or moan about us playing shit but less likely to get relegated? The team is progressing, its plain to see it cannot be denied. Once we stop progressing, are still shit and still boring to watch, thats when Lambert should leave.

He's a much better manager, for sure.

Yet he turned down the challenge of rebuilding villa and took over an established top 7 side with a squad built over 10 yrs.

A complete shambles?

The complete shambles was caused by Lambert making changes too quickly which very nearly relegated us.

One other point. I find it incredulous that our league position at the same time last year was excused by too early in the season to judge syndrome yet our position this season is accepted as a note of improvement.

You're right, we should be aiming for European places after 3 relegation battles in a row agreed. 

• Like 1