Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Lamberts tactics cost us the game. He set the team up to play on the counter, like we would away from home. The idea was to let collocini have the ball,in the hope he would give it away when passing into the midfield. Unfortunately colo is a good passer of the ball. What I liked about lambert when he was at Norwich was the fact he would constantly change the formation game to game depending on the opposition. Next week we have Norwich who play a straight 4-4-2. Therefore I'd like to see us match up with helenius partnering benteke, and gabby and tonev on the wing.

He can't do this. He doesn't have the players for it. We don't have a single midfielder who can play even passably well in a 2-man central midfield and we don't have proper LMs and RMs who can protect their fullbacks too. Also, as we know, no one who has proven to be able to be a 10. Thus all of his options include playing 3 central midfielders, who generally sit way too deep isolating the striker(s). Every time he tries playing 4-4-2 it fails miserably, even when he does that for parts of a game only - Liverpool first 35 mins and Newcastle last 20 mins. 

He really has zero options to play with the formation as he doesn't have the players for it. I've no idea why he hasn't tried to improve the midfield.

Could Bacuna play on the right of midfield, Bennett on the left, Sylla and Delph in the middle and Helenius/Tonev/Gabby/Weimann as Bentekes strike partner

I think Barry fits into Everton's style more than he would ours imo. Old players coming back rarely work out. The only one I can think of that did is Gordon Cowans but he was an exceptional player with bags more talent than Barry and also he was 28/29 . I think Lambert is right to stick with more youthful players. Things will work out better long term.

barry would help the youth players no end, we still have not replaced barry if the truth was known,hence players like kea etc. PL has made a mistake not bringing barry back into the fold, pl bought another striker or was that 2 strikers? 

plain as day the team needs barry with his quality right now.

Lambert really has to ditch this narrow shit again.

Did he learn nothing last season ? Incredulous that he's gone back to this stupid system.

Not only that - we struggled last season with a collection of £2m players - so this season he brings in more of the same (at best) - so I thinks it back to looking if there are 3 teams worse than us.

I don't think that's a fair comparison at all. Look at the resources Liverpool have compared to us.

Have you not just been disagreeing with me about how a limited budget has effected the squad? Now you're talking about its not a fair comparison because Rodgers has more money.

I don't think that's a fair comparison at all. Look at the resources Liverpool have compared to us.

Have you not just been disagreeing with me about how a limited budget has effected the squad? Now you're talking about its not a fair comparison because Rodgers has more money.

• Like 1

He will always disagree with me just like he did at the beginning of last season and we all know how that turned out.

It's not a comparison it's a fact.

How can an opinion be a fact? It's fact that Rodgers is doing better at Liverpool but he also has much more at his disposal so it's not really a good comparison.

It's a fact that it is my opinion.

Is it worth remembering that this was our first game of the season against an 'average' team? And so the way Lambert set us up yesterday isn't necessarily indicative of how we'll play the rest of the season?

Not sure that's any sort of excuse at all.

Probably not, I'm just wildly searching for signs of hope I guess.

It's a fact that it is my opinion.

It's an opinion, unless you're referring to the disparity in resources/performances between Villa and Liverpool.

He will always disagree with me just like he did at the beginning of last season and we all know how that turned out.

Wrong.

How sad that "being right" (although I don't think anyone was "right") is more important to you than Villa doing well.

Liverpool have long had far more resources at their disposal and probably will for the foreseeable future. Unlike some I'm not going throw a tantrum just because Lerner can't afford to spend huge money on us every year.