Low wage strategy

zapbranny

Whilst I applaud the idea of putting the club on an affordable footing. There is a big problem that needs addressing.

Should Villa progress up the league and these bargains become recognised coveted players, their salary will need to increase in order to a get them to sign new contracts, or fend off interest from other clubs.

So I assume our strategy is to keep these players we picked up cheap, on low wages and then sell them on for a profit. If that's not the strategy and we intend on keeping them then we need to turn down bids for our better players. Since Lerner has been here when has that ever happened?

Secondly, coveted players will know they can get more money elsewhere so will a) not sign contract extensions (see arsenal), B) want the team not to just be competing trophies but winning them. If we aren't doing this they will be gone.

Whilst I applaud the idea, it can't be an all consuming strategy. By all means have a few in the team that are on lower wages but in the end you have to pay the market rate for what a player is worth (wages). If you aren't doing that it will be an uphill battle against every club that doesn't follow this model.

With the new TV deal there is only one place the majority of that money is going. . . To the players. The premier league is like an arms race, If we aren't competing in terms of wages, we won't be competing.

The real problem is not the wages, they are being sacrificed because a lack of commercial income, if we don't change that we will never compete.

Pual Faulkner step forward, just like underperforming players, if he can't produce the required level of income he needs to go.

I'm impressed you are generous enough to credit the club with having a strategy. Having watched them bounce from pillar to post over the past 5 years, I think what is happening now is just the latest knee jerk.

However, if they did have a strategy, you have just pointed out one or two major flaws with it!

When MON was here Villa was a good place to come to for a promising young player because they had a good chance of getting first team games at a high level, good chance of international football and to advance their career. I'm sure if he had been more interested in going after players like Young and Milner and not more established players then we could have had quite a few exiting signings.

I don't think the strategy of the club is to be a selling club, but rather use the fact that hyped up players want to move on and can be used to an advantage for he club.

In example a young player like Weimann is one that I can see becoming a long term first teamer. He will sign a contract with a decent salary. I imagine he is on £10k now and will probably double that or perhaps a bit more even. 2-3 years from now if he loves it here he will get a better contract. If he wants to move on, then thank him for his services and cash in.

In the case of Benteke I would guess he is on around £20k. If he continues to impress offer him £40-50k and build a team around him. If he's not keen then, well, we can't complain. He's done a good job so far and the club will make a profit.

If this is successful then it will mean a club that is self-sustainable and can slowly develop into becoming better in all areas of the pitch.

I know i.e. Ciaran Clack is rated very different by Villa fans, and I agree he has struggled this year, but I see him and Weimann as the type of players that in the future will offer consistency in the long run, wheras players like Benteke can do a great job for a few years.

As I've said in another thread. We will not be a successful winning team paying all our players less then 30k a week. Premiership players demand 50k plus. If we are successfull with a team all on less than 30k, I think we will probably be in the Championship. Soon as players get good, I.e Benteke, you will have to let them go for higher salaries else where! It just won't work!!!!

As I've said in another thread. We will not be a successful winning team paying all our players less then 30k a week. Premiership players demand 50k plus. If we are successfull with a team all on less than 30k, I think we will probably be in the Championship. Soon as players get good, I.e Benteke, you will have to let them go for higher salaries else where! It just won't work!!!!

Well, then you have £20m or so to spend. What's the problem with that? I'm not saying don't pay anyone above £30k a week. I'm saying buy players with promise and gamble that a few will stick around to fulfill it, and reinvest the money that you make on those that don't. Much better than buying 28-29 year old and giving them 4-5 year contracts.

It's about building a young hungry team around a core of 4/5/6 experienced heads who may well be on £50-70k.

Not a bench full of lads of £50-80k with 4 years on their contracts.

This is what PL is dealing with.

Interesting. Can you tell me who are the 4-6 experienced heads on £50-70k?

Our last bench:

Jordan Bowery
Eric Lichaj
Barry Bannan
Stephen Ireland
Brett Holman
Andy Marshall
Darren Bent

How many of these are on £50-80k with 4 years left on their contracts?

Are we sure this is what PL is dealing with? Or are these just excuses being trotted out to cover up failure?

At a guess, Given, Dunne, Ieland, Gabby, Bent are probably on £50k a week. Move maybe one or two of them on and Hutton and Warnock. We might be able to bring in some players on similar money.

This is all just guess work.

At a guess, Given, Dunne, Ieland, Gabby, Bent are probably on £50k a week. Move maybe one or two of them on and Hutton and Warnock. We might be able to bring in some players on similar money.

This is all just guess work.

in relative terms, those 5 players on 50-60k a week - its hardly earth shattering is it ?  - The way people are going on you would think the whole first team squad is over £100k per week.  Dunne\Warnock will be gone by the summer. The wages mantra is just a smokescreen - Randy could bankroll a couple of players if he wanted to - unfortunately he's got bored of us.

It's obvious why Lerner wants to save money.

You're allowed to say Scots people are tight with their money but have a go at the other people known for being tight and you get called anti-Semitic....

As critical as I am of Lerner, this post beggars belief. 

Plus I couldn't give a **** what you think anyway.

I'm **** sick of all this. It's bad enough being crippled never mind having to put up with this crap from the club I love.

Sorry, I mean immobilised, incapacitated or whatever the PC lot want to call it.

If you try to run a premiership club on championship wages guess where you end up?

Tune in next season to find out...

I agree 110% but what a lot of people on this forum cant understand is that you get what you pay for.Put it another way,lets say your car breaks down, or you want to build a garden shed in the back yard.You can pay the going rate OR you can cut costs and get your car/shed at a really low price.

Â