Error appears from trying to "like" comments

Daniel1Avfc

Question

When i try to like someones comment, it says something like 'error youve "liked" enough comments for one day' but then it let me like 2 comments in the space of about 2hours then popped up again (this was in the afternoon)... When you're a New Member you have a certain ammount of posts per 24hours and there is text above the reply box, to notify people when they are next aloud to comment. Could you be able to bring this method into play for the liking system? the error notification method is quite annoying as it doesn't inform you properly imo, does it recycle from every 24hours from 12am or what?

Surely it would be an improvement to the site having the count down system that i explained above? so people could have a certain ammount of likes per day, then be notified when they are next allowed to like posts again? or maybe forget notifications and give everyone unlimited likes per day?

(Would doing any of the above cost extra money? if so then i understand....)

All custom development costs money. However I'm more likely to turn off the "likes" system than change it at all. I'm really not sure there's any demand for it.

Thoughts from others please? Do you use the "likes" system?

Yeah, i know its just a minor thing, (Facebook has it *a very popular site*) I would rather just simply click "Like" on a comment, then have to quote a post then write something like "i agree" so on...

Plus people "Liking" posts rather then quoting and replying to them would use up less pages.

If it does cost to much to change this minor thing, then i would say just leave it as it is, but i would also say addressing all the small problems would lead to a bigger and better site imo.

Edited by Daniel1Avfc
  • Like 1

Please don't use Facebook as an example of something good :mrgreen:

We aren't limited to a number of pages. We didn't have likes for the first ten years of the site and I don't think many people use them. I'll check the stats later.

How would the site be bigger with fewer pages? ;)

When i say a bigger site i mean, more well known. (the more well known it is, the more people that will use the site and with the more people that use the site the more likely people are to donate)

When i say it will use up fewer pages, im implying, people who put "I agree" or "this" could just "Like" a post which would stop people collectively having to read through pages of it and just read through the interesting parts. (in the the transfer thread im guessing theres probably about a sixth of the pages that are "this" or "I agree".... less of that equals less bs to read through.

When i say a bigger site i mean, more well known. (the more well known it is, the more people that will use the site and with the more people that use the site the more likely people are to donate)

When i say it will use up fewer pages, im implying, people who put "I agree" or "this" could just "Like" a post which would stop people collectively having to read through pages of it and just read through the interesting parts. (in the the transfer thread im guessing theres probably about a sixth of the pages that are "this" or "I agree".... less of that equals less bs to read through.

+1

I'm not proposing a better "like" system. I'm asking whether to keep the current one.

I'll do some analysis, but I suspect a very low number of posters are using them. I'll base a decision on usage data rather than a poll though. I'll do this after 6 months (it's been live for 3.5 so far.

There is a new version of the forum software dropping next week so we'll see if that fixes the OP's problem.

I "like" the like feature.

As others have said it removes a lot of the "this" posts, and gives you a little ego boost. I don't see any reason to remove it.

I would like to be able to see who "liked" each particular post.

Call me vein, but it is of interest. 

You can can't you? It says it just under the like button

As others have said it removes a lot of the "this" posts, and gives you a little ego boost. I don't see any reason to remove it.

I mean after the event. So if I click on my profile now I see I have how many likes I've had, but I've no idea what posts were liked and by whom unless I go trawling through my post history. Even I'm not THAT vein. 

I mean after the event. So if I click on my profile now I see I have how many likes I've had, but I've no idea what posts were liked and by whom unless I go trawling through my post history. Even I'm not THAT vein. 

You can. View your profile then click on 'Likes' on the left hand side underneath your profile picture.

Â