Nintendo Wii U

Si.

It's mad really, because I find PS3 and PS4 as games consoles to be awful. Same as the Xbox with my limited experiences of that.

The games just aren't fun. They're played with awkward controllers which don't translate well to what you're actually doing with the game and the biggest challenge is learning the control system rather than learning how to play the game. Most of the top titles are FPSs which are really bad using small thumbsticks. There's nothing exceptional about anything, just maybe slightly better graphics than the last clone of the game.

Compare that to the SNES, N64, Wii, Wii U, with all of the Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros etc games which are/were truly groundbreaking, fun to play, graphics appropriate to the games and in some circumstances (Mario Galaxy) surpassed anything on supposedly superior-specced consoles. The control systems were intuitive and worked. You didn't have to learn to play the game by learning which of R1,R2,L1,L2 etc does this particular move which has nothing to do with what's actually happening.

My Wii U doesn't get a lot of use now because I don't have a lot of time to play games. But my PS3 hasn't been turned on for years as compared to the Wii and Wii U, it's pretty awful really.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, darrenm said:

It's mad really, because I find PS3 and PS4 as games consoles to be awful. Same as the Xbox with my limited experiences of that.

The games just aren't fun. They're played with awkward controllers which don't translate well to what you're actually doing with the game and the biggest challenge is learning the control system rather than learning how to play the game. Most of the top titles are FPSs which are really bad using small thumbsticks. There's nothing exceptional about anything, just maybe slightly better graphics than the last clone of the game.

You're playing the wrong PS4 games, clearly.

I remember reports a couple of years ago that Nintendo had enough cash reserves to keep running with significant losses for the next 4 decades.

Despite the Wii U being a failure, I think they've made profits for the last two years

Death throes is perhaps overstating their problems, a little, and I think talk of them becoming a software only company is incredibly premature as well.

And the NX is, barring a miracle, going to fail.

Do we know anything about it apart from the launch date and one of the launch titles?

Edited by Davkaus

There are a bunch of open secrets about the NX that have floated around for ages - it's going to be a hybrid console with both a home and portable element, likely the controller can act as a standalone machine, the controller is exceptionally likely to be close to a tablet possibly with very few (or no) buttons. And it's very likely to be have an Android based OS.

Even if that all turns out to be a good idea (and non physical buttons simply aren't a good idea in most cases), or even if all that is wrong, Nintendo aren't going to sell loads of them and become relevant again. The market has left them behind.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You're playing the wrong PS4 games, clearly.

Perhaps. They all just bore me and the controls never fit the controllers.

Mario64, Mario World, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Zelda III, all incredible games that weren't hard work to play.

It's universally accepted that if you judge a console by its games (if not, then what's the point?) then the Wii U is the best one. So it amazes me how people get so suckered in to the populist view of better graphics == better games == better console.

Such a shame if Nintendo don't make consoles any more. We won't have any new innovative and groundbreaking interfaces. Just more boring cloned megadrive controllers and faster chipsets.

Universally accepted is so strong a term as to be wrong I think. The Wii U has a core handful of genuinely good, in a few cases great, games. But there's a long way between a few well regarded titles and best console.

Nintendo won't be out of the console game after the NX. Unless it's an unmitigated disaster, and given that the Wii U was essentially still born it'll take a lot to be declared a bigger disaster, but Nintendo will be out of the game soon enough. It'll be a shame because Nintendo do have that special spark with their consoles, although that spark had been fading at an ever increasing rate across the company, IMO, but it's going to happen. The market changed and they've instead of keeping up, tried to take a different path and it's not caught on being the initial flurry of Wii sales.

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

It's universally accepted that if you judge a console by its games (if not, then what's the point?) then the Wii U is the best one. So it amazes me how people get so suckered in to the populist view of better graphics == better games == better console.

Sorry Darren. But this is UTTER bollocks.

• Like 1

It matched the patronising tone of the implication that people who don't prefer the Wii U are just suckered in by shiny graphics [emoji6]

Nah I think you won that by a long shot.

Anyway, I stand by what I said. Consoles are about the games, and the Wii U has far better games than any other console. True I haven't played much of the other consoles games but most seem to be available for PC, therefore the Wii U is the only way to play Mario 3d world, mk8, smash bros etc.

This comment sums up my feelings: "the Wii U has been the best console on the market, by far, for ages. Let's face it, the PS4 and Xbox One have been something of an anti-climax to date. Other than the nice graphics, there really are no great games. Even if there were, the Wii U has a huge swarm of first class exclusives which are absolute masterpieces.

It is a very sad reflection on gamers that this brilliant console hasn't sold well; whether it's through ignorance, or a misguided sense of what a "mature" or "hardcore" game is. Most are more interested in an endless series of violent shooters and social media buttons. You really do have to worry where the industry is heading if the best games don't sell consoles. The Wii U is going to be remembered as a troublesome failure when it's really something quite special. It's a disgrace."

I'll be honest, as a gamer from the very start, through colecovision, Atari, master system, megadrive, Motorola 6800, SNES, etc. etc. I'm disappointed that most people seem to have abandoned truly innovative games and systems in leiu of whiz bang wow it's HD

Again, very patronising.

But you played computer games first so you must know best [emoji3]

That's purely my opinion, nothing patronising in there at all. I was playing games early on, doesn't mean I'm right. Also doesn't mean it's utter bollocks, neither is your opinion.

Personally I don't think the Wii U has good games. The missus, who is a massive Nintendo freak, hasn't bought the Wii U because she has no interest in the games. It's the first Nintendo console she has failed to purchase.

And I'd choose a PS3 or 360 over the Wii U too.

I need to just change my statement from 'good games', to 'enough good games'. There are a few I'd like (and the same for Mia), but nowhere near enough. 

I still play my 3DS, especially Fire Emblem, Pokemon and a few others (boy the prices on games are still ridiculous, otherwise I would buy more!) but for me the Wii U doesn't have enough.

Â