Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Con, i went to the game. I saw that he misplaced several passes. I trust my eyes ahead of an independent stats website.

You're not disagreeing with the stats website. They said he had 80% pass accuracy - 20% of his passes were misplaced.

You said he had no turnovers though. What's the difference between a misplaced pass and a turnover  :detect:

Anyway this is a ridiculous debate.

Don't know.

Dispossession of the ball is being tackled when in possession.

Turnover might be when you have possession and lose control of the ball without getting tackled, and the ball ends up with the opposition.

I thought he was a bit more adventurous with his passing today. Misplaced a few through balls, but I can understand that he tried. Fulham were very compact in midfield and looked hard to bypass but they did seem vulnerable through the channels. With all the good runs Weimann makes I would happily see Westwood loose possession more often if it creates chances.

I thought he was a bit more adventurous with his passing today. Misplaced a few through balls, but I can understand that he tried. Fulham were very compact in midfield and looked hard to bypass but they did seem vulnerable through the channels. With all the good runs Weimann makes I would happily see Westwood loose possession more often if it creates chances.

Weimann looked very frustrated all afternoon. He wanted service and never really got it.

Forgot to post this last week.

Thank the lord, we've started doing regular inswinging corners.

Little spell in the first half when Westwood put in a great corner, followed by Lowton and Weimann whipping in great crosses. We look like we could score, rather than definitely not scoring like when Bannan was lofting them up for centre halves to head away.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to post this last week.

Thank the lord, we've started doing regular inswinging corners.

Little spell in the first half when Westwood put in a great corner, followed by Lowton and Weimann whipping in great crosses. We look like we could score, rather than definitely not scoring like when Bannan was lofting them up for centre halves to head away.

This is changed tactics, nothing to do with changed players.

Bannan would have been taking the corners how he was told.

Westwood looked jaded tonight, and another bad tackle (which I think is out of fatigue rather than malice).

We should replace him with El Ahmadi and Delph with Bannan for the Sunderland game.

Delph should in no way be dropped.

Can you explain to me what the triple-step over was all about? 

Straight pass backwarks to Guzan is his trademark ball. Showed nothing going forward tonight against top class opposition.

Edited by Con

Tripple step over - who gives a shit.

Delph is the only player in our team apart from Baker who gets stuck in and shows any fight. To suggest Bannan should come in, in replace of him as laughable.

I agree that Westwood is looking a little jaded however. Would rather a jaded Westwood than Barry bloody Bannan - who incidently IS a player who looks backward repeatedly.

Tripple step over - who gives a shit.

Delph is the only player in our team apart from Baker who gets stuck in and shows any fight. To suggest Bannan should come in, in replace of him as laughable.

I agree that Westwood is looking a little jaded however. Would rather a jaded Westwood than Barry bloody Bannan - who incidently IS a player who looks backward repeatedly.

You are making statistics up. Bannan passes forward more often than Delph. And has key passes to show for it.

Delph made 4 tackles tonight. Big deal. You're not going to win a game making 4 tackles. I want our midfield to do more than just 'look busy'.

They need to attack, with skill and guile.

The triple step over is an example of Delph running out of ideas what to do with the ball. It was embarrassing. 

Making statistics up? I didn't quote any statistics mate. Just said that Bannan also plays the ball backwards.

Have you ever seen Bannan attack with guile or make any driving runs? 

How many tackles would Bannan have made?

To be honest, I would be more embarrassed by playing a through ball to an opposition player than actually running at a player, albeit, unsuccessfully.

Making statistics up? I didn't quote any statistics mate. Just said that Bannan also plays the ball backwards.

Have you ever seen Bannan attack with guile or make any driving runs? 

How many tackles would Bannan have made?

To be honest, I would be more embarrassed by playing a through ball to an opposition player than actually running at a player, albeit, unsuccessfully.

Driving runs that go down cul-de-sacs and end with a pass 40 yards backwards. Delph's driving runs achieve nothing. Ones that end with an extravagent triple step over that fools nobody and a pass backwards... it's embarrassing to watch.

Bannan's not in the team to tackle, so I don't care how many he makes. When he plays the team retains possession much better, so there is less need to tackle. He plays the right ball more often than not, shown by the fact he has more key passes than games played.

This is not a hard choice for me. Westwood is not performing right now, so I'd play Bannan ahead of Westwood, with El Ahmadi who is showing some form.

Edited by Con

Con, you are certainly dogmatic, but perhaps also a little myopic...

If Bannan had played instead of Delph with Westwood then I think it would have been even easier for utd to overrun us. 

Incidentally, I didn't witness many misplaced passes by Delph. Not saying he had a great game by a long stretch, but I strongly believe Westwood and Delph should play together. Just wish we had an attacking creative midfielder who could compliment these two with more quality than KEA or Sylla.