Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

How did we doit eh? Remember January personally I was looking at the championship table seeing who we could beat next season to come back up. Now with 2 games left were 5 points clear and 130-1 to go down never thought I'd see it. I won't believe it fully till I see either villa win Saturday or Wigan draw or lose next Tuesday but I have to say it feels good again to follow villa

Villa fans in the very thread said we wouldn't win a game, or score a goal again this season and finish bottom, that was only in January.

They also said that because QPR signed Remy they would stay up, just like that.

I hope if we do indeed stay up that this season has given a few fans a lesson in patience, if doesnt always end up right but its worth waiting just that little bit longer to see what will happen.

• Like 3

Betfair now have us at 132-1 to go down.  Time to lock this **** stupid thread.

We are 150/1 on Betfair to be relegated. Any pessimists should have a lump on that.

Wow! What happened between 6.47 and 7.33 this morning to make those odds lengthen so much?  ;)

Apparently Bruce Grobelaar told John Higgins that Wigan now need snookers on the final day of the season against us to stay up. This conversation of both dodgy characters was allegedly caught on cctv cameras in the bogs at William Hill's at 6.47 - 7.33 am today & allegedly they also swapped brown paper envelopes with some shady looking Far East  characters at the same time.

Tune in to the Panarama special at 6-47 to 7-33pm this evening where all will be revealed.. ;) .

• Like 1

I think the yesterday result was the great .. but I also think the ideal result was a draw .. if we were safe I wouldnt like to go down .. and also if we beat chelsea somehow we would have a chance to finish 9th ..

I think the yesterday result was the great .. but I also think the ideal result was a draw .. if we were safe I wouldnt like to go down .. and also if we beat chelsea somehow we would have a chance to finish 9th ..

What - ? - You would raher wigan have an extra point - so we have some outside chance of getting a meaningless 9th place ?

How did we doit eh? Remember January personally I was looking at the championship table seeing who we could beat next season to come back up. Now with 2 games left were 5 points clear and 130-1 to go down never thought I'd see it. I won't believe it fully till I see either villa win Saturday or Wigan draw or lose next Tuesday but I have to say it feels good again to follow villa

Villa fans in the very thread said we wouldn't win a game, or score a goal again this season and finish bottom, that was only in January.

They also said that because QPR signed Remy they would stay up, just like that.

I hope if we do indeed stay up that this season has given a few fans a lesson in patience, if doesnt always end up right but its worth waiting just that little bit longer to see what will happen.

:thumb:

How did we doit eh?

Hannibal_a-team_jpeg.jpg

Classic

I must admit - right up until we tonked Sunderland - I thought we were done for. It still worries that the owners of our club - did nothing in our hour of need, and Lambo was ok starting the season with one established fit CB. Lets hope they both learn from this.

VT has finally surprised me in a good way.

I just knew I would wake up this morning to read those who were certain Swansea had no shot at winning and therefore we were doomed spouting out new shit about how we should not kid ourselves and we are still in this thing.

Good form VT. Good form.

We are safe, there are just too may improbable results for us to go down. And that is before we even play our own games. FANTASTIC! I was dreading our chances in January, a bit defeatist even, becaue I just couldn't see how we could possibly get all those points. Luckily our players have stepped up and other teams have eased off :) Still a disaster of a season of course, but with some optimism going forward and that is what being a fan is all about.

• Like 1

What - ? - You would raher wigan have an extra point - so we have some outside chance of getting a meaningless 9th place ?

As long as they lose to arsenal then we are ok anyway .. and im thinking of three points against chelsea .. we really have to pay our dept ..

To say 9th is meaningless .. it isnt accurate .. it would be even when we were shit .. we just been once out of the top ten recently ..

In the context of this season - where relegation has been a significant possibility for weeks\Months - finishing 9th - or 14th is meaningless.

I certainly wouldn't be wishing wigan had equalised last night (as you implied a couple of posts back)- as that would help us get 9th place. I think you would be the only Villa fan in the country willing a wigan equaliser last night.

Why are some people saying they hope Norwich, Newcastle, Sunderland, etc. are relegated? This would almost certainly involve something bad for us:

if we fail to beat Chelsea, Wigan staying up would at best mean Wigan beating Arsenal and thus causing us relegation stress until beating Wigan on the final day (but them still staying up on goal difference); it would most likely mean Wigan taking points off us.

Even if we beat Chelsea (meaning we are safe), Wigan surviving would still very probably mean them beating us.

The only "Newcastle/Norwich/Sunderland are relegated" scenario we can actually wish for is:

* Villa beat Chelsea (we are finally mathematically safe).

* Wigan win at Arsenal (makes no difference to us any more)

* Villa win at Wigan, but Wigan survive on goal difference ahead of, say, Newcastle (preferably with Arsenal's fifth goal in the 94th minute sending Newcastle down despite Villa doing everything they could for them with a thumping win at Wigan: thus Geordies weep, Villa fans are quietly satisfied with their respectable 10th place finish at the end of a traumatic season, while plucky little Wigan wildly celebrate their 6-0 defeat).

Now that would be an enjoyable scenario. But it's an extremely unlikely one (even without the big scores).

Given that we should basically always want Villa to win, and by as many goals as possible, it's now hard to reconcile that with wanting any team other than Wigan to go down.

• Like 1

To say 9th is meaningless .. it isnt accurate .. it would be even when we were shit .. we just been once out of the top ten recently ..

The most important thing; the thing that dwarfs everything else; is our safety. Giving Wigan another point is a terrible idea because it makes our safety that bit less likely. We'd all love to finish 9th but if it means increasing our odds of going down by prolonging Wigan's season and giving them hope then no thank you very much. Perspective!

Wigan will not take another point this season. They will also lose the FA cup final. Last night killed them.

They have no defenders. They are much much worse then us in defence. They have Gary Caldwell playing for them FFS.

Arsenal will win probably by a margin of three to four goals. City will roll them over easy in the final. We will put atleast three goals in and win the game comfortably.

Edited by quizme

I for one was more than happy when the score was 2-2 at the DW yesterday & would  have taken it there & then as due to the dreaded lurgy (relegation fear) I honestly did not see Swansea winning that match last night & viewed a Wigan draw has damage limitation.

3-2 sent me into an aploplectic frenzy of joy!

Wigan will not take another point this season. They will also lose the FA cup final. Last night killed them.

They have no defenders. They are much much worse then us in defence. They have Gary Caldwell playing for them FFS.

Arsenal will win probably by a margin of three to four goals. City will roll them over easy in the final. We will put atleast three goals in and win the game comfortably.

I'd argue that Sunderland and Reading both have worst defence.

I reckon you're probably right. It would take some defence to stop us at the moment and they certainly don't have one.

I'd argue that Sunderland and Reading both have worst defence.

Why is that an argument. He's not suggesting Sunderland or Reading have a better defence. In fact he didn't mention them at all.