Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

"A very highly rated youngster - but just never improved no matter how many first team games he got." I think that may have been part of the problem smetrov. I think if Lambo could have done he would have taken him out of the firing line but with others out he was one of the few fit central defenders we had so he was expected to hold a young defence together and also at times to captain the side. To expect him to play game after game was placing a lot of pressure on the lad and we had risked his future as we had that of other young players by throwing them into a full season. Some have thrived on the pressure others have not and I hope he may come again next season as we have as a football club at the end of this one.

But he's not young ? - 23 is he ?

Baker isn't the finished article by some distance - but he is pretty good in the air, strong in the tackle, and very brave.  Clark doesn't excel in any of those area's - his sole game seems to be intercepting passes.

I don't mind him as a squad player - but hopefully behind baker and a new CB in the pecking order.

I agree with this, and he can do a job in midfield as we know. He's got enough about him to come back stronger and he may yet end up first choice in the end, but he had a big opportunity this season and I don't think he took it.

Here's one to get the eternal pessimists all riled up... 

article-2262230-16F02A22000005DC-219_634

Guess who's reffing the Arsenal v Wigan game...

Where did you get those stats?

Incredible... and a bit weird.

Clark in the back 4 is a liability. However, I think Clark as a defensive midfielder would really help our defence out. I personally think that is his future role in our team at the expense of Bannan.

I have thought the same thing ever since McLeish put him there. Clark is not bad defensively, but he does have a few lapses from time to time. Having a back four behind him really helps. Plus clark has an eye for goal. 

Ed: How valuable was that away win at Liverpool?

Not very. As soon as that happened the media was full of Vill and their youngsters stories talking about how wonderful they were. They believed the publicity and blam, went to shit for an entire month

Uriah Rennie?

I didn't source them myself, so I can't vouch for their authenticity

• Like 1

Ed: How valuable was that away win at Liverpool?

Not very. As soon as that happened the media was full of Vill and their youngsters stories talking about how wonderful they were. They believed the publicity and blam, went to shit for an entire month

Seems like that happened. Was it inevitable, though, with such a young side? First run of form, likely to get carried away with the euphoria of winning. They got over it in time for the end of the season.

That's a daily mail article from Jan 13... probably changed by now, but was probably accurate... and as useful as one of Con's Bannan stats.

• Like 2

There's an article here which shows the same stats. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9800224/Why-Mike-Dean-is-Arsenals-least-favourite-referee.html

Clark has not played since the QPR game

I think he's been found out

Didnt we win that game? And the game before?

We did , and baker scored an OG, but it was definitely Clarks fault ;-)

There will be a fair few sets of fans happy with that result tonight!

In fact they're celebrating on the streets in Stoke right now;

tumblr_ltaj99i40x1qmhc1z.gif

& That's Rory Delap in the middle just about to take a throw in isn't it?

I'm based in Stoke for Uni and I'm pissing myself at that GIF Villa-Revolution :D I was celebrating like this in the streets when Swansea scored their third :P

But he's not young ? - 23 is he ?

Baker isn't the finished article by some distance - but he is pretty good in the air, strong in the tackle, and very brave.  Clark doesn't excel in any of those area's - his sole game seems to be intercepting passes.

I don't mind him as a squad player - but hopefully behind baker and a new CB in the pecking order.

I would've thought 23 is still young for a Central Defender.

I don't have any stats or anything but I've always thought that defenders take longer to mature than players in other positions. They (generally) don't really hit their stride until around 26/27. 

I still think he's a better "footballing" CB than Baker, he's just prone to monumental stuff-ups far too regularly.

Edited by Ghost

Between Sunderland and Wigan from me. Both teams are missing key players, but I think Sunderland will only pick up one more point (draw against Southampton and then lose

at Spuds) and Wigan will pick up 4 (draw against Arsenal and beat us) meaning both teams will have 39 points, so its going to go down to GD :)

Newcastle will beat QPR on Sunday and Norwich will beat Tesco bags on Sunday aswell. 

I wouldn't be so sure about ruling Norwich out to be honest. I can see them picking up no more points. Though, in saying that, I can also see Wigan picking up no more points