Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I'll keep believing it, Wigans luck has to run out some time.....hopefully this is it.

Coventry and Southampton were similar for many years and both eventually crashed. I think could be end of Wigan luck as well

I have no idea how the players will cope with the pressure if it comes down to the final day. The players have shown how mentally weak they can be many times this season but they were also under a lot of pressure against Reading and QPR but managed to come out with wins against both. A part of me thinks we'll be better off going into the Wigan game needing a win than going into it simply needing a draw.

if we go down and wigan stay up i will be enormously pissed off as a general football fan that a great football club with a big, local backing has once again fallen at the expense of an utter shite B-team to the Rugby club. Don't want sunderland down either because of the fanbase and stadium numbers they bring in every year. Got a soft spot for Norwich too but Stoke can go **** off if Wigan stay up

Looking at the list of Prem clubs if we go down makes for grim reading it really does.. Remove the sky 4 & the "larger" clubs with large fan bases & you are left with

Stoke City

Wigan Athletic

Cardiff City

Swansea City

Hull City?

Watford?

Southampton

Norwich City

Sunderland

West Brom

Fulham

West Ham

The only really big games being

The 2 Scouse clubs, The 2 Manc clubs, Spurs, Arsenal & Chelsea

Gotta say those fixtures hardly make me clamor for a season ticket

if we go down and wigan stay up i will be enormously pissed off as a general football fan that a great football club with a big, local backing has once again fallen at the expense of an utter shite B-team to the Rugby club. Don't want sunderland down either because of the fanbase and stadium numbers they bring in every year. Got a soft spot for Norwich too but Stoke can go **** off if Wigan stay up

I cant agree. You stay up on merit and it is good for Premier LEague to have small teams like wigan stay in league every year instead of "bigger" teams

In spite of Whelan. if the situation was different Id be cheering Wigan to stay up

I cant agree. You stay up on merit and it is good for Premier LEague to have small teams like wigan stay in league every year instead of "bigger" teams

In spite of Whelan. if the situation was different Id be cheering Wigan to stay up

But why? they'll be over hundreds of thousands of people who will be absolutely gutted if we go down, wigan can't even sell tickets when they get to wembley! the only place small teams should be in the prem is on FIFA. If a small club makes it up and stays up and their fanbase grows, they want to be playing the biggest famous clubs in the country, surely? not getting the chance to play swansea, stoke, west brom, hull and wigan

thats football. If was only "big" teams in premier league it would be boring. Swansea, Stoke, Wigan etc have earned the right to be in the Premier League compared to big teams like Leeds, Wolves and potentially us.

we're 11th in the attendance league with an average of 36k, just below West Ham by 100-200. The attendance table and league position are fairly similar in fact, i'd say our attendances are the only stand-outs, our backing considering our league position is quite good, although of course newcastle and sunderland as always have massive attendance figures. west brom and swansea right down the bottom of the table too is purely down to stadium size i would imagine

thats football. If was only "big" teams in premier league it would be boring. Swansea, Stoke, Wigan etc have earned the right to be in the Premier League compared to big teams like Leeds, Wolves and potentially us.

i agree with that, my point is that if i supported a small team i would want to earn the right to play in the prem to play big teams, not other small teams punching above their weight.

it's nice to have a few in their and some success stories but i don't want the place completely littered with them, especially ones playing anti-football to stay their, spending money they simply don't have or clinging on in by a point or 2 year after year after year

we're 11th in the attendance league with an average of 36k, just below West Ham by 100-200. The attendance table and league position are fairly similar in fact, i'd say our attendances are the only stand-outs, our backing considering our league position is quite good, although of course newcastle and sunderland as always have massive attendance figures. west brom and swansea right down the bottom of the table too is purely down to stadium size i would imagine

They're doing well then considering their capacity is just over 35k

They're doing well then considering their capacity is just over 35k

was going to use the link from ESPN to back me up, then realised it was a typo, sorry, meant 34k

http://espnfc.com/stats/attendance/_/league/eng.1/barclays-premier-league?cc=5739#

I would be shocked if Wigan got anything from their games against Spurs or Arsenal other than a minus on their goal difference. I would expect them to beat Swansea and to get something (I hope no more than a point) at WBA who are on their deck chairs now and will not be bursting a gut to help us to stay up I think, so I see Wigan on 35 points before the last game. So we would need 5 points to know we are staying up before the last day. 6 points would cover us for them getting the odd unexpected point so wins at Norwich and Sunderland are what we really need but I think 4 may be more likely from those games and I see our game with Chelsea in much the same way as I see their games with those North London clubs so we may need to look to WBA to do them or leave it to us to secure our own safety on the last day. How sad it is that we have sunk so low as to be doing such calculations now at the foot of the league rather than at or near the top of it...

you dont win points by attendances. the smaller clubs are just happy to be in the league and they get to play the big teams they want and we are not one of them. Fans get excited when Liverpool, United or Arsenal etc. come to town but not really when traditional big teams like Villa, Newcastle or Everton.

On the train to Manchester on Monday, my United supporting mate was saying how Villa fans love to come to OT because it's a big day out. I had to remind him we've been every season since the PL began.

I hate going to OT, but **** me it's bloody impressive. Said it in the post-match thread (but it's down in the depths now) that I was overawed by OT, so I can't imagine what our players were feeling.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Never been that impressed by OT to be honest. Last new ground I went to (new in the sense, I'd never visited before) that impressed me when full was Park Head, Jesus they do make a racket there.

It was more the sheer size of it. Proper intimidating. Like a box with no windows. Especially when you're crammed into a corner. Their fans were shit though.

Edited by StefanAVFC

"my United supporting mate was saying how Villa fans love to come to OT because it's a big day out". Tell him when you see him next we are not Wigan or Small Heath StephanAVFC and we have been going there long before the PL began even when they were in Division 2 in 74/5 and we were both promoted that season and ask him if he has looked back in the history books at those Cup Finals in 1957 and 1994 and whether he knows who ran them so close to that first title in so long in 92-93!