Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Sunderland to beat Man Utd is the biggest cert Ive ever known. Will defo be lumping on that.

What on Earth are you talking about?

Martin O'Neill pulling his usual rabbit out of the hat when its least expected. 

Everton to beat Man City was similar - Had 20 quid on that. 

Sunderland to beat Man Utd is the biggest cert Ive ever known. Will defo be lumping on that.

Yeah but saying it's the biggest certainty you've ever known is going a bit far don't you think?

Everton are far superior to Sunderland anyway. I wasn't that surprised that they beat Man City but I'd be very very surprised if Sunderland beat Man United.

Yeah but saying it's the biggest certainty you've ever known is going a bit far don't you think?

Everton are far superior to Sunderland anyway. I wasn't that surprised that they beat Man City but I'd be very very surprised if Sunderland beat Man United.

Said it a bit tongue in cheek. I wouldnt be surprised at all. Its football.

Shows what a desperate situation we were in prior to the Reading (a) match now doesn't it.... 2 wins later against 2 of those below us & we have given ourselves a kind of evens chance. Still much work to be done mind & i'll only be happy after another 2 wins & 4 draws / 3 wins & a draw to take us to 40 points & relative safety... May well need less but for me that should be the target just in case.. If "Arry" is targeting 5 wins & 37 points we have to target 3 more than that.

i love how this "it's football" thing applies to every other team in the premiership except us :lol:

Course it does. How many times have I said that its positive that despite our woeful form, we are not cut adrift. The very nature of football will mean our form turns at some point.

I just did a predictor and it turned out like this....

11th - Newcastle

12th - Southampton

13th - Fulham

14th - Villa

15th - Norwich

16th - Stoke

17th - QPR

18th - Sunderland

19th - Wigan

20th - Reading

Didn't feel like I was being particularly kind to Villa. Though, had us finishing on 41 points.

No chance pal, infact i wll give VT £10 a point for every one over 40!

Quoted, just in case!

(though unlikely!)

the way i see it is very simple, QPR and reading are not going to end up above us - to do so they would need to score 6 more points out of 24 more than us, and I just don't see that happening with our respective forms and run ins.

In which case, over the remaining eight games we need to score one (and only one of the following):

one more point than wigan

two points more than sunderland or southampton

four points more than norwich, west ham, newcastle, stoke or fulham.

Our run in is reasonable -

we have two games that are difficult, but not impossible on current form to get at least a point from in Man U and Chelsea

the remaining six games are all games that we can get points from norwich, wigan, stoke, sunderland, fulham, liverpool

Our form is good - in our last six games, we have beaten west ham, QPR, reading, drawn with everton, and lost by a single goal to arsenal and man city. in other words, lost 2, drawn 1, won 3, 10 points 

interestingly, over the last six games, the only one of those ten teams with better form than us is fulham.  

reading - lost 6, 0 points

QPR - lost 3, drawn 1, won 2, 7 points

wigan - lost 2, drawn 2, won 2, 8 points

sunderland - lost 4, drawn 2, 2 points

southampton - lost 2, drawn 2, won 2, 8 points

norwich - lost 1, drawn 4, won 1, 7 points

west ham - lost 4, won 2, 6 points

newcastle - lost 4, won 2, 6 points

stoke - lost 4, drawn 1, won 1, 4 points

fulham - lost 1, drawn 2, won 3, 11 points

our defence is actually doing OK and if we cut out the stupid mistakes, we'd be doing much better - Ciaran against man city, bennett on saturday for the first goal

we are scoring goals and the strikers are sharing them around....

Our starting line up has settled down - Lambert is only tinkering with one or two players now that he has had more time to get to know the players and vice versa. guzan, lowton, clark, vlaar, baker, westwood, weimann, benteke, agbonlahor are all now regular starters, with delph, nzogbia, banna, sylla, KEA, holman fighting for the other two spots....

we have pretty much a full squad of starters to choose from. delph's suspension is over, we have two weeks to get bent, KEA and baker back to fitness.

we have relatively few people away on international duty (and therefore open to getting injured in the next week) - benteke, vlaar, clark, weimann, guzan - and i'm not sure how many of them will get a start or any game time at all (really hoping the answer is exactly none)...

i'm actually feeling OK - lots still to do, and there are no easy points, but as I have done all season, I'm feeling ok about us just about staying up...

finally, as hard as its been to see for much of the season, if we stay up (i know that's still an if).... at the end of the season, we may just look back on this, and say, you know what, it looks like we've seen some strategy for the first time in several years and the club's future may actually looking ok....

Still think West Ham will go down.

I was about to say "what?!". Then I looked at their form and run-in. I've totally been overlooking what looks like good chance of the drop here. Mind you, Fat Sam is no stranger to digging himself out of holes.

Actually a team on dire run at the moment........Norwich...

+ stoke

Stoke are having problems, but its more relative to the money they have invested.  

There are simply too many poorly performing teams in between us to have them dragged down IMO.

Hopefully Utd will have already won the league when we play them and likewise Chelsea secured a CL spot. Fulham should be on the beach aswell as Norwich .

Chelsea will be very interesting......

from about Stoke down they are still involved in this battle.

as for people expecting Wigan to stay up they said same about Coventry. will eventually fall adn dont see any reason why wont be this year especially if they have a cup final and take eye of the ball