The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Arsenal, QPR, Reading, Stoke.

Wigan, Southampton, Swansea, WBA.

We need 7/8 points from both of these quartets so basically 25 points by the end of January.

I think if we get that we'll be o.k as I think teams will stay up on 35 or 36 points so it shouldn't be too difficult to get another 10 points on top of that.

I think this time around I wouldn't be as gutted if we go down because we have been flirting with relegation since MON left. Our club is still a mess, but hopefully Lambert can help rectify that in January.

However, I think PL should be getting more from the squad at his disposal.

Arsenal, QPR, Reading, Stoke.

Wigan, Southampton, Swansea, WBA.

We need 7/8 points from both of these quartets so basically 25 points by the end of January.

I think if we get that we'll be o.k as I think teams will stay up on 35 or 36 points so it shouldn't be too difficult to get another 10 points on top of that.

We wont have 25 points come march the 2nd with that squad mate...

Weve had bad prem seasons before. What I feel is different now is that so many of the 'smaller' london clubs have such big backers - Fulham, QPR, were financial minnows a year back - but can now afford players we can't - (Yes I know it hasn't paid off at QPR yet - but give it time) - these clubs are now our equals, where as not so long back even a poor villa side would give them a walloping.

The Southampton win was a good result for us. It would be worse if QPR took points than Southampton.

Reading and Norwich was worrying. Sunderland had to happen, as they are much better than they have showed so far, and Fulham will eventually fall back where they belong out of the top 10.

I disagree. The Southampton win will ultimately be bad for us when Hughes gets sacked and Redknapp comes in and turns QPR around.

We wont have 25 points come march the 2nd with that squad mate...

Hmmm, if that is a fact, we will go down. Maybe I shall take my wage next week and put it all on relegation. Will be a comfort winning tons of money.

But on the other hand: We will beat Reading, Stoke, Wigan, Southampton and Swansea and draw against QPR, meaning we will have 25 points.

I think QPR have too much ground to make up even if they sack Hughes soon.

They've already played the likes of Swansea, Reading, Southampton, West Ham all at home so as the season progresses they'll run out of winnable home games and they're toss away.

That is a great point. And I am not sure that Redknapp will be able to get the players at QPR to gel immediately, as he has to in order to avoid relegation.

And while we are picking all these points from these easy games, no one else will be picking points up as well?

Bloody easy this game isn't it?

Will hopefully we'll be picking up points against the likes of QPR, Stoke, Reading, Wigan etc stopping them picking up wins.

Will hopefully we'll be picking up points against the likes of QPR, Stoke, Reading, Wigan etc stopping them picking up wins.

Sure, because we have the form and recent history to prove that we can go on a run like that. Only wins against those teams will do.

An honest question, asked in all sincerity, when was the last time we won 3 league games on the bounce?

I want to deal with the above post first.

According to you, not attending VP makes people less of a fan than those who do. What about the handicapped villa fan who is simply not able to attend VP due to his or her's illness. What about the unemployed Villa fan who would love to go to VT to support his team but has to support his family instead. What about those Villa fans who live around the world and can't get to VP but do subscribe to cable TV just to see their team play or those that go to the pub with their mates in their Villa shirts to support the team. Are they any less a Villa fan than those that can attend VT just because you describe them as 'armchair.'

I just hope your not the ignorant prat your post depicts?

As far as today's result goes, posters can blame the ref and linesman and they can blame the fact that we were playing Man City. Irrespective of the officialdom, it puts into perspective our cup win against Man City. It also puts into perspective where the club is at the moment. We are in dire trouble.

If we lose against Reading and believe me at the moment that is a very real possibility then Lambert must be sacked. I was concerned when he first arrived that he would turn us into Norwich. He has gone one step worse than that and at exactly the wrong time for our club. We needed stability with Premiership signings and we got instability with lower league and foreign signings who have taken time to become acclimatized and within that time we haven't picked up the points we should have in a fairly easy start to this season. It was quite simply the wrong time to introduce so many less premier experienced players to our team when the players already in our first team have proven over the past two seasons not to be good enough. So what we have now is young players learning to live within the rigours of the Premiership beside players who don't have the qualities to to help them.

Lose our next two games and Lambert must be sacked paving the way for Redknapp to come in and weave his magic before it is too late.

What would you rather have. Redknapp being able to attract the type of player that Lambert couldn't to keep us up, or, Redknapp going to QPR, keeping them up at the expense of our Villa and that in the next two or three games will be a very real choice that our chairman will have to make.

great post.

Don't understand this pessimism that we'll struggle to win a game between now and the end of the season, we beat Sunderland away just two weeks ago!

Losing to the mancs isn't pleasant but even when we were finishing 6th we were losing to them and in any case they'll both finish with 80 + simply because they beat the majority of teams they play every week.

great post.

Agreed top post..........but there is one simple reason why Lambert will not be sacked.

Lerner will point to the fact that Lambert was the fans favourite for the job.

He can cite that he gave us EXACTLY what we wanted.