The Midfield

Condimentalist

We dont have enough quality to keep possesion, especially against premier league opposition.

I can see us reverting to type and dropping deep. Its a nasty habit Villa have had for years

I hope we keep possession when given time on the ball, which would be an improvement on last season but when pressed by the more physical an/or organised teams we could have a bit of trouble.

Dropping back has been a nasty habit in a Villa team for a few years, under different managers, like you said. And I hope that's one thing Lambert addresses.

Agreed, trying to play football the right way would be a great signal, I get the sense that a lot of the fans want to see good football.

Based on him being unable to influence games, his attitude (which seems to implode every 6 months)

& lambert having a nasty streak

I sense friction at some point

Same with NZogbia btw

Utter bollocks. He can influence games but he needs game time under a manager who will let us be creative and try to score goals. As for his attitude imploding every 6 months, another "fact" pulled out of your arse. Tell me what happened 6 months ago where he 'imploded'. He didn't, in fact he hasn't made any trouble at all for a long time. The last time I remember was him falling out with Houllier but we don't know the facts and for all we know he may have just not got on with the guy. Let's face it, Houllier seemed to rub a fair few members of the squad up the wrong way. He's making positive comments about the new season ahead and how things have improved under Lambert and he's not making any trouble and hasn't for a long time, so you're talking rubbish.

As for Lambert having a nasty streak, I'm sure he's the no nonsense type but I can't see him deliberately upsetting or alienating his players. He strikes me as a problem solver and not stubborn like MON or Houllier appeared to be, so I can't see any 'friction' from Ireland. N'Zogbia is more likely.

Ireland was ok last season but hardly set the world on fire. People seem to think he is some sort of genius at villa park because he managed to put in 15 decent performances

Lets not forget these are the only decent performances he has managed in 4 years and for a man on his money i expect a whole lot more from him.

I am yet to be convinced he is anything special

As usual you twist the words of the people who have a differing opinion to you to suit your argument.

I don't think I've seen anyone on VT claiming he's a genius, hell, I don't think I've even seen his strongest supporters claim he has played to the best of his ability. What people are saying is that Ireland was putting more effort in than the rest of the players and he was one of the few who actually tried and gave a shit. Therefore people would like to give him another chance this season under a manager who lets the players play unlike the moron we had last season in charge.

I'm not an 'Ireland advocate', quite the opposite.

But, he did try harder than most towards the end of last season.

Also, when you watch him play, you see that he's always looking to pass and move, the problem is that he was surrounded by players that didn't have the quality to give him the return ball or to make the right runs. You could see Ireland getting visibly frustrated on the pitch, it's one of the things you notice when you go to games rather than just watching on TV.

For me Ireland needs to be given a chance this season but really, if he doesn't look up to much come January, we should look to get rid.

I can't personally make up mind as to whether he could actually be an important play for us, or whether he's nothing more than a luxury player.

Really quite intrigued to see what formation Lambert goes with, we don't have 2 decent proven wingers to rub together anymore, but nor to we have a DM that'll just sit in front of the defence judging by KEA in pre-season. 4-3-2-1 I guess would suit the players we have.

I hate the 4-3-2-1 formation. Against better teams it turns into a 4-5-1 very quickly with the gap between the 5 and the 1 usually about 40 yards

This is more to do with how a team plays rather than the formation. Under MON, we'd sit so deep and invite pressure, the midfield would have too much ground to cover, in order to get forward quickly. When Petrov and Barry were playing together, we had no attacking threat from CM as neither had the pace to counter attack and make forward runs, as they spent much of the game protecting the back four. This only changed when Milner moved to a central position. It was the same with England at the Euro's.

If we are able to keep posession and have a more attacking philosophy to our game, then 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-2-1 / 4-5-1 (really isnt much difference when you look at the position of each player in midfield) can work. And by all accounts, from some of the comments i've read from some of the players, this could well be the case.

We dont have enough quality to keep possesion, especially against premier league opposition.

I can see us reverting to type and dropping deep. Its a nasty habit Villa have had for years

couldn't have put it any better.

posession is the key, we havn't had it for donkey's years.

I hope we keep possession when given time on the ball, which would be an improvement on last season but when pressed by the more physical an/or organised teams we could have a bit of trouble.

Dropping back has been a nasty habit in a Villa team for a few years, under different managers, like you said. And I hope that's one thing Lambert addresses.

Agreed, trying to play football the right way would be a great signal, I get the sense that a lot of the fans want to see good football.

Yeah and I think we will play good football this season we just need to improve the defensive side, need someone to plug the holes.

Hmmm,

I think we are all being too quick to write Bannan off and the influence he could have on the team this year. I still think we are stronger centrally than we are outwide. I know we may be playing narrowly this season but attacking down the wings is always a good plan B at least and Im not sure we have that ability with our current crop of wingers.

A left back and a left winger are still the two key areas for me.

If we can bring these in then by all means, have a look at a big DMC.

Why not go 4-2-3-1?

It becomes a 4-5-1 too easily. You need to have a talented squad to make this formation work which is one thing we dont have

Stick Holman and CNZ on either wing, and Ireland through the middle, with bent up top.

Agree with this.

Given

Lowton Vlaar Clark Warnock

KEA ?

N'Zogbia Ireland Holman

Bent

Just can't decide who to put alongside KEA.

Bannan?

Delph?

Herd?

Makoun?

Gardner?

Why not go 4-2-3-1?

It becomes a 4-5-1 too easily. You need to have a talented squad to make this formation work which is one thing we dont have

Stick Holman and CNZ on either wing, and Ireland through the middle, with bent up top.

Agree with this.

Given

Lowton Vlaar Clark Warnock

KEA ?

N'Zogbia Ireland Holman

Bent

Just can't decide who to put alongside KEA.

Bannan?

Delph?

Herd?

Makoun?

Gardner?

Gardner

Bannan should play alongside KEA. His form pre-season has earned him a place in the line-up.

Whilst I agree we could do with a big strong DMC, If we keep the ball better then we can cope fairly well without one.

That's not true. In some ways it's even more important to have a sitting midfielder if you are going to play the possession game because otherwise you get done on the break. That was my big concern watching the Forest game. I wanted that midfield quintet with Bannan to work but it didn't. Will be interesting to see who plays tomorrow.

Bannan should play alongside KEA. His form pre-season has earned him a place in the line-up.

Whilst I agree we could do with a big strong DMC, If we keep the ball better then we can cope fairly well without one.

That's not true. In some ways it's even more important to have a sitting midfielder if you are going to play the possession game because otherwise you get done on the break. That was my big concern watching the Forest game. I wanted that midfield quintet with Bannan to work but it didn't. Will be interesting to see who plays tomorrow.

Hmmm maybe you have a point. To be fair, I wasnt at the Forest game.

I'd like to see Bannan given a chance though. The guy's nearly always the best player for the reserves and I like what Ive seen of him in a lot of first class games.

Hmmm maybe you have a point. To be fair, I wasnt at the Forest game.

I'd like to see Bannan given a chance though. The guy's nearly always the best player for the reserves and I like what Ive seen of him in a lot of first class games.

I like Bannan too. I think it could work but only if he and KEA do a lot of work in training to play a more disciplined game. If we start the season with those two we'll leak goals but maybe it'll be worth it in then end.

I don't believe that we dont have the players to keep possession. Ireland and Bannan are gifted players, techinically . "Possession football" all comes down to confidence with the ball. Unfortunately, in the past we have played with a very direct attitude, wanting to get the ball forward too quickly when in possession. One thing i liked about Houllier was that he wanted us to play a more "continental" style of football, aka keeping the ball more.

I still think the jury is out on BB. His passing ability is obvious, and he COULD be a very good deep lying creative midfielder, so long as he doesn't get knocked off the ball too easily. In a 2 man midfield, I think he'd struggle, but next to a ball winner he could shine.

I don't believe that we dont have the players to keep possession. Ireland and Bannan are gifted players, techinically . "Possession football" all comes down to confidence with the ball. Unfortunately, in the past we have played with a very direct attitude, wanting to get the ball forward too quickly when in possession. One thing i liked about Houllier was that he wanted us to play a more "continental" style of football, aka keeping the ball more.

I still think the jury is out on BB. His passing ability is obvious, and he COULD be a very good deep lying creative midfielder, so long as he doesn't get knocked off the ball too easily. In a 2 man midfield, I think he'd struggle, but next to a ball winner he could shine.

Agree on the Houllier point, he was trying to change style. this was the worst thing about the McLeish appointment, we went from one extrme to the other.

I still think our midfield looks like it could be easily over run.

I think next we have to with 3 in the middle, seriously think with West Ham having Diarra and Diame we may be physically out-battled.

Good bits of business by West Ham, exactly the type of players we lack

I think next we have to with 3 in the middle, seriously think with West Ham having Diarra and Diame we may be physically out-battled.

Good bits of business by West Ham, exactly the type of players we lack

We have been lacking this type of player for some time so why are we still waiting?

Diame is quite a good player but Diarra is way over the hill and slow. El Ahmadi has the pace, energy and tenacity to win against either of them.

Â