The Midfield

Condimentalist

I think we are fine when keeping the ball, however when we lose it we are in a bit of trouble.

I'm more worried when we havn't got the ball too.

Yes, we could do with a diamond structure like this

--------(Someone ultra-attacking-----

--------but who chases opposition---

--------and closes them down)-----

Ireland-------------------------------KEA

-------Solid defensive ball winner----

I think Ireland and KEA would be a great partnership in the middle with Ireland with the emphasis on attack and KEA with the slght emphasis on the defensive but both can link defence to attack and both seem to get stuck in to a tackle (Well Ireland did for a bit at the end of the season) They're both great readers of the game and make canny interceptions.

The attacking midfielder could very well be Holman/N'Zogbia

The defensive midfielder could very well be Herd/Clark/Delph but this is the one I feel the strongest about that we may have to bring someone in.

Someone who reads the game a bit better than Herd/Clark/Delph do at this time, someone with more experience than those players who they can learn from.

Or will it be Makoun if he stays? Still not experienced in the Premier League and possibly too lightweight for this league but he reads the game solidly.

I think it'll be

----------KEA

----Bannan-Holman

--------Ireland

-----NZog--Bent

vs West Ham.

Truly relegation material. Have we not learned from the last two seasons about having a powder puff midfield in the PL?

How on earth do you come to that conclusion? Have you watched any of the pre-season games?

Are you mad? We played two of the worst teams in the MLS and the other had played several games over short time involving lot of travel.

Then there is the Forest game so maybe your right...

I think it'll be

----------KEA

----Bannan-Holman

--------Ireland

-----NZog--Bent

vs West Ham.

Truly relegation material. Have we not learned from the last two seasons about having a powder puff midfield in the PL?

How on earth do you come to that conclusion? Have you watched any of the pre-season games?

Are you mad? We played two of the worst teams in the MLS and the other had played several games over short time involving lot of travel.

Then there is the Forest game so maybe your right...

I don't agree that we're relegation material. I do think we have a strong need to bring in a couple of players, that would be essential in being a real success. But the squad we have now, under clear management they are comfortable under and motivated by, should be well clear of relegation.

I tend to agree CI. We need a bit of nasty in there. If Annan is the answer then go get him Paul. It's ironic really. After a season under a turgid defensive-minded manager, we somehow face going into the next season with no steel in midfield and all ball-playing mids. Herd being the obvious exception, but I wouldn't want to put our season on his shoulders.

We have 4 equally understaffed/under quality areas from what I can see. All of worrying concern

Left back

Winger

Forward

Central midfield

and with Dunne out for who know show long you might as well add Central defence to the list too.

nah don't buy all the too lightweight stuff to be honest. hopefully it's a trend that will die down a bit that you have to be built like a brick shit house to play modern football. what matters in the middle of the park is getting the ball back and moving it well when you have it. you can be any size and be good at either or both of those things.

i don't think we need to spend more money in the middle of the park, maybe a wide player so we have some options to change the formation and be more direct and play wide. i'd like to think PL can find a good pairing and back up from the central players we have. KEA, herd, delph, GG, bannan and ireland means that we have 6 players competing for central spots in the midfield, chuck in zog, holman, carruthers, albrighton and that's 10 competing for 4/5 places depending on the formation.

i think that's a shitload better than what PL had to pick from at norwich and expect us to have a better midfield as a result.

except Delph, Gardner, Carruthers have not shown anything to suggest they'll be up to standard yet. Ironically Herd has but seems to be the one people overlook

except Ireland flatters to deceive and could be either good or bad at any given moment (some would say the same of Bannan and N'Zogbia)

except we have no idea how Holman/KEA will perform in the Premiership

except Albrighton is out injured until god knows when

you can't knock the importance of an experienced top class organiser in the middle of the park. i'm not sure we have one

hopefully it's a trend that will die down a bit that you have to be built like a brick shit house to play modern football. what matters in the middle of the park is getting the ball back and moving it well when you have it. you can be any size and be good at either or both of those things.

You don't have to be built like a brick shithouse but you need to tackle like one. You say yourself that we need to get the ball back. That's precisely what we're lacking. A ball-winner. We've plenty of people who can use it when we have it, but we've no-one other than Herd or maybe Delph (who tends to injure himself in the process) who can go and get us the ball at the moment. We don't have a Tiote or a Makelele or a Lucas.

Let's see how the midfield hold up in Bremen

Maybe PL will shuffle it and look at other options

Too early to panic but I think we need some physical experience presence in there

I tend to agree CI. We need a bit of nasty in there. If Annan is the answer then go get him Paul. It's ironic really. After a season under a turgid defensive-minded manager, we somehow face going into the next season with no steel in midfield and all ball-playing mids. Herd being the obvious exception, but I wouldn't want to put our season on his shoulders.

I thought KEA did that job as well??

Â