Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

We know vlaar is important and we know he's struggling with fitness and injuries, so we sign grant holt. Genius villa. Absolute genius.

And how do you know that adequate backup for Vlaar was available to loan in on Holt's wages?

I doubt Holt is on peanuts but did it have be on Holts wages? What about acting like an established top flight club and paying the going rate for an established top flight quality player or two and seeing how that works under this manager. It is something he hasn't been allowed to do yet.

We had the chance to fill some gaping holes in the squad in January and we didn't. If injuries become a problem then the club will only have itself to blame.

I have no idea about the financial situation so I don't know.

It could be that there just wasn't anyone that was

- Available for loan

- Willing to take sensible wages

- Good enough to be backup to Vlaar

That last point is probably most crucial.

You say the last point is crucial but still we went and signed a player that clearly wasn't good enough to be back up for Benteke.

And how do you know that adequate backup for Vlaar was available to loan in on Holt's wages?

I doubt Holt is on peanuts but did it have be on Holts wages? What about acting like an established top flight club and paying the going rate for an established top flight quality player or two and seeing how that works under this manager. It is something he hasn't been allowed to do yet.

We had the chance to fill some gaping holes in the squad in January and we didn't. If injuries become a problem then the club will only have itself to blame.

I have no idea about the financial situation so I don't know.

It could be that there just wasn't anyone that was

- Available for loan

- Good enough to be backup to Vlaar

That last point is probably most crucial.

I am sure somewhere there was a player good enough to either cover for Vlaar or replace Clark in the team that could have been brought in as long as we were willing to fork out the required amount in fees and wages. The same could be said for the creative midfielder we have been crying out for.

The simple fact is we have been trying to do things on the cheap for the last three seasons and it will bite us on the arse big time eventually.

Edited by markavfc40

Lambert failed to get the required defensive cover in for Vlaar.  He has to take the blame.

ani-neil_patrick_harris-thumbs_up.gif

Agree, all he had to do was go to the bank and withdraw money to pay for the cover. Why didn't he?

Or why did he waste money on Holt instead?

Because we needed cover for Benteke in case he got injured. If we didn't have Holt we would have Bowery as cover and that is why Lambert cannot win, people would moan about that too.

I am sure somewhere there was a player good enough to either cover for Vlaar or replace Clark in the team that could have been brought in as long as we were willing to fork out the required amount in fees and wages. The same could be said for the creative midfielder we have been crying out for.

The simple fact is we have been trying to do things on the cheap for the last three seasons and it will bite us on the arse big time eventually.

How do you know we could've got somebody good enough? I agree that perhaps we should've forked out more money but none of really know the financial situation at Villa, although I do know that January is normally a pretty bad time to do business.

Lambert failed to get the required defensive cover in for Vlaar. He has to take the blame.

ani-neil_patrick_harris-thumbs_up.gif

Agree, all he had to do was go to the bank and withdraw money to pay for the cover. Why didn't he?

Or why did he waste money on Holt instead?

Because we needed cover for Benteke in case he got injured. If we didn't have Holt we would have Bowery as cover and that is why Lambert cannot win, people would moan about that too.

And we would have had Helenius. Vlaar has been injured regularly since he joined . He was by far and away the more likely to get injured so the need for cover was greater with him.

• Like 1

How do you know we could've got somebody good enough? I agree that perhaps we should've forked out more money but none of really know the financial situation at Villa, although I do know that January is normally a pretty bad time to do business.

How do I know? I suppose 30 odd years following football has taught me that you pay the going rate for players in fees and wages and you can usually attract players of the required quality to improve your team/squad. Of course if your looking to do things on the cheap this becomes way more difficult and I think that is what we have found.

As for the finances of the club lets all hope that we don't get injuries to key players between now and the end of the season and pay the price for not filling the gaping holes in the squad and drop like a stone. If we do the club finances will certainly look a lot worse than they did at the close of the transfer window.

Edited by markavfc40

How do I know? I suppose 30 odd years following football has taught me that you pay the going rate for players in fees and wages and you can usually attract players of the required quality to improve your team/squad. Of course if your looking to do things on the cheap this becomes way more difficult and I think that is what we have found.

As for the finances of the club lets all hope that we don't get injuries to key players between now and the end of the season and pay the price for not filling the gaping holes in the squad and drop like a stone. If we do the club finances will certainly look a lot worse than they did at the close of the transfer window.

That doesn't really answer my question. We simply don't know whether anyone was available on sensible wages. A lot of clubs get ripped off in January.

Yes I agree, although injuries to key players will affect most times. The only anomaly is Vlaar. I have no idea why we implode so badly when he's out. Benteke, Gabby and Delph we could all manage without (just about) but Vlaar's different for some reason.

Haha brilliant

Care to offer a sensible reply instead that actually tells me what you think is funny?

Edited by Mantis

That you think we offer sensible wages.

Well done for putting words into my mouth again. All I said was that there might not be anyone available to take sensible wages (i.e. not 90k a week for Lescott). I never defined "sensible wages" so how do you know what I think on this?

you telling me in the whole world there was maybe no defender available in January that could be better than Clark or Baker?

No because I didn't even say that.

All I ask is that my posts are read properly.

Sorry. What are you actually trying to say?

No shock to me he was injured, he was really puffing at the end of the WBA game so another 90 mins in under 72 hours was a big ask. Mr hindsight says maybe have him as sub today and bring him on for last 30 mins?

It's frustrating particularly with Okore knackered since first week of September aswell.

it's fair to say we'll need our strikers to stay in form over the next few weeks.

you telling me in the whole world there was maybe no defender available in January that could be better than Clark or Baker?

No because I didn't even say that.

All I ask is that my posts are read properly.

Sorry. What are you actually trying to say?

You'll find all the answers you want in my original post.

Bottom line in all this is that Aston Villa, an established top flight club, was not in a position financially it seems to bring in a better player than Nathan Baker to provide cover for the injury prone Vlaar.

If as expected Carroll gets his red card rescinded and Vlaar is out next week against West Ham then things could get very ugly.

Edited by markavfc40

Â