General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So a back 4 of Lowton Baker Clark, and Lichaj?

That has relegation written all over it, and it doesn't get better by replacing with any of our experienced defenders as they are mediocre at best.

We need new defenders

Ideally we'd have 2 Ball Playing defenders and 2 more traditional defenders (who are capable of passing less than 100 yrds). I.E. Ferdinand + Vidic or to a lesser extent Pique + Puyol.

Clark + Vlaar would have been good in this mould imo

But saying that, if Chelsea can win the Champions League with a pairing of Cahill + Luiz then why not buy a team of players who are technically good?

I still think defence is our weakest area. The faulty four may be experienced but they're also incredibly shit. Lichaj, Baker and Clark are all promising players but also very inexperienced. I think we need a good experienced CB and a good experienced LB. Midfield isn't too bad IMO. Herd can do a good job and El-Ahmadi looks like a good buy. Hopefully Makoun, Bannan and Delph can step up this season as well. I would agree that we need to bring another midfielder in though.

Bannan didn't step up last year when needed and I see no reason why he would do it this season. Lightweight and limited in ability.
Not trying to make excuses, but I think the main reason for that is because of the type of manager he was playing under. Lambert has placed more emphasis on keeping the ball and passing it than McShit ever did so we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Exactly Mantis. Bannan may or may not be a world-beater but McLeish and Bannan were about as far apart as you could get in footballing ethos. Lambert will be able to better utilise him. At least then we'll see what Bazza is capable of; for better or for worse. Hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised.

How many more players are we going to excuse due to the previous manager? Most of our young players simply aren't Premiership standard and will be plying their trade in the Championship.

How many more players are we going to excuse due to the previous manager? Most of our young players simply aren't Premiership standard and will be plying their trade in the Championship.

Until we see them playing under a non-shit manager we can't be sure what they're capable of. I'm not excusing them. I'm giving them the chance to prove themselves in something other than a sinking ship. I find that way preferable to prematurely selling them and living to regret it. If I turn out to be wrong then it doesn't matter. We still sell them on. If I end up right then we get a very good player.

Until we see them playing under a non-shit manager we can't be sure what they're capable of. I'm not excusing them. I'm giving them the chance to prove themselves in something other than a sinking ship. I find that way preferable to prematurely selling them and living to regret it. If I turn out to be wrong then it doesn't matter. We still sell them on. If I end up right then we get a very good player.

Exactly. This will be a much better season for judging the youngsters.

All of them?

Atm we can only cling to the hope that it is the fault of MON, Houllier and McLeish that they have yet to perform on a regular basis

I also find it curious that the argument basically boils down to "Oh my God you're still supporting our players!?!?!!". Well yes, yes I am. If they don't make it this season then; as AVFCforever1991 says; that'll be their last chance and I'll be happy to see them leave.

In the same way Fonz has been given a chance? These players have been judged by previous managers with the same outcome as the ginger one. Players such as Bannan and Delphi should be moved on now to make room for someone who is actually going to contribute to the first team.

McLeish has never had a history of developing youth players or given them a chance, he only did was where we were royally **** with injuries. Fonz gets a lot of bad press, but the kid does try hard and he has talent as shown with the goal in Philadelphia.

Unlike the Fonz (who I do think needs to move), Bannan has had spells where he has been very good in the side. There was a period under Houllier for example, where he was one of our key midfielders for a while and it looked like he had 'arrived'. He did recede from that, but he did show that he can do it. If he can get back to that then we will have a player on our hands. Delph in my view just needs to avoid injury. That's easier said than done of course. But IMV his ability isn't in question. It's his ability to stay on the pitch that is.