Karim El Ahmadi

Feyenoord

I can see him playing 2 holding midfielders.

----------- Herd ---- El Ahmadi --------

-- Holmann --- Ireland ---- N'Zogbia --

-------------------Bent------

Albrighton and Abgonlahor are gonna have to work hard to get their places back.

Bannan / Gardner to slot in for Ireland when subbed / suspended.

I did think when we signed El Ahmadi that he'd go well with Herd in a 2, still think they would. But Bannan seems to be impressing at the moment so wouldn't be shocked to see KEA, Bannan and Ireland as the 3 in midfield. We've got options, plenty of them now too and that always helps.

Herd will be nowhere near that midfield.

Pretty harsh, considering he was one of the few players who could be in any way arsed last season. When he was in the team alongside Petrov I thought he was one of our best players. Also put in a standout performance at RB that made Hutton's inclusion for most of the season all the more bizarre.

Pretty harsh, considering he was one of the few players who could be in any way arsed last season. When he was in the team alongside Petrov I thought he was one of our best players. Also put in a standout performance at RB that made Hutton's inclusion for most of the season all the more bizarre.

Mate to be honest it wasn't hard last season and we have to improve, his passing is dreadful to get him in the middle. RB I agree, but I think he's nothing more than back-up for coming season.

I'm somewhere between the 2 of you (ooo errr). I'm with Sikh in what I can see is his 'no room for sentiment' stance. It was easy to stand out last season and particularly for a defensively minded mid in a horribly defensively minded team. He, more than most, had the opportunity to stand out. But I don't agree that Herd will be 'nowhere near' that midfield. Last season will count for something and I think over the course of this season there will be times where he finds himself in there. He probably won't be a starter, but because of what went before, he'll probably be one of the first go-to guys if we're in a scrape and need to batten the hatches.

So BOF a back-up player haha like i said.

Yeah but he'll get near that midfield. You guys are too black and white about it. I can't remember how many shades of grey there are but I'm one of them :P

Mate to be honest it wasn't hard last season and we have to improve, his passing is dreadful to get him in the middle. RB I agree, but I think he's nothing more than back-up for coming season.

Agree we have to improve, but as things stand he's right up the pecking order. I know central midfielders all offer different things but as things stand I'd have him above Delph, Bannan, Gardner, and Makoun.

If those players come good and fulfill their potential, or PL goes and gets another top midfielder then well and good I can see him fall out of contention, but right now I think he deserves to be in or around the first 11.

Having said all that PL seems to be putting a fair bit of emphasis on Delph this summer. He's been captain a couple of times and has featured in every game I think.

I'm going on the ability I believe he has, not on last year's performance or anything else.

I believe he's a very good player, and I believe he'll be in with a very good chance of being in our central midfield. Then again, I've seen nothing of El Ahmadi yet - so perhaps they're not suited.

I think to say he'll be "nowhere near the first team" is a bit of a rash statement though.

If nothing else, he's the only person in that midfield who's capable of winning a header.

They all struggled last season. Delph mainly because he was injured.

Herd is a top lad who will mainly play right back because that's his best position I think, although its handy he can cover midfield.

But Delph is a genuine midfielder with a range of passing and in Lamberts system should thrive if he stays injury free.

Herd is a top lad who will mainly play right back because that's his best position I think, although its handy he can cover midfield.

But Delph is a genuine midfielder with a range of passing and in Lamberts system should thrive if he stays injury free.

delph hasn't been very good for us though, herd on the other hand looked a tidy player

Yeah true..

Delph has

a) shown little so far to be considered a first team player

B) not stayed injury free from the moment he's signed.

I have no idea how you can rate Delph ahead of Herd. Yes, Herd might not be perfect and you may not rate him - but Delph has done nothing at all for us so far, nothing.

Delph MIGHT turn out to be useful under Lambert, he's got a lot to prove but I'm sure there's some ability in there somewhere.. but there's no way that, right now, you can say Delph looks better than Herd.

Â