Karim El Ahmadi

Feyenoord

To be fair to MON,

Ah, come on, this is Villatalk. That's seditious talk, not officially allowed.

Also it would spoil my fun. I'm having a good old chuckle here. Lambert signs a player I'm willing to bet most people hadn't heard of, or know anything about his strengths or style of play, and suddenly he has totally outfoxed MON in every department of management known to mankind.

It's laughable stuff and it's making me chuckle on a grey afternoon.

and suddenly he has totally outfoxed MON in every department of management known to mankind.

Ah yes, turning future tense into past tense. I'm not surprised you find it laughable :)

He's outfoxed him by simply thinking that you can only purchase players on these shores. He overpaid for average players, no matter if Ahamadi is average, comparing him to NRC will always be considered a success. MON bought some great players in Young and Milner, but he also wasted nearly 50-60million on CB's on top of that selling the current England CB.

Lambert will make O'Neill look like a complete idiot in terms of player acquisitions.

and tactics and squad rotation and substitutions and wage policy :)

If it is policy then that would no be set by the manager but the owner / chairman / ceo who set the policy having regard to other strategies at the club, including the strategy for maximising revenue earning and the strategy for budgetary control

If MON had control over all of those then no wonder we have struggled the last two years

I know it is an old argument but it really infuriates me when that is labelled at the man.

Blame him and have a discussion on tactics, training, squad rotation or lack of, playing players out of position, heck even have a go for targetting the players he wants. But wage policy? In fact anything other than managing the football side of the business is just plain wrong

Anyway this is not the MON thread and he left us over two seasons ago. We have to look forward not back. Cracking signing, cracking new manager.

More to come and more deadwood to go

"Rock the casbah" would be funnier in my opinion. I suppose we'll have to wait and see what happens on match day.

I think "Rock the Casbah" might catch on if both El Ahmadi and Villa perform well.

The Casbah = the old walled citadel in Algiers or other Arab towns.

“Rock the Casbah” at home = getting our citadel (Villa Park) rocking.

“Rock the Casbah” in away games = going into another team’s citadel and shaking them up.

Could sound great away at Man Utd or whoever, if Villa are actually “rocking their Casbah”. And you wouldn't need to have a degree in Arab history or even know what the Casbah means. Everyone would basically get the message.

I mean't on the defence in general. Possibly exaggerated but still a considerable amount. (45.5Million)

Knight 4 Million

Davies 10 Million

Cuellar 7.8Million

Young 6 Million

Shorey 4.5 Million

Warnock 8Million

Dunne 6 Million

Collins 5 Million

Beye 2 Million

I mean't on the defence in general. Possibly exaggerated but still a considerable amount. (45.5Million)

Knight 4 Million

Davies 10 Million

Cuellar 7.8Million

Young 6 Million

Shorey 4.5 Million

Warnock 8Million

Dunne 6 Million

Collins 5 Million

Beye 2 Million

That's actually 53.3mill. **** WOW!!!

Really bad isn't it. Imagine having that money now.

Knight 4 Million

Davies 10 Million

Cuellar 7.8Million

Young 6 Million

Shorey 4.5 Million

Warnock 8Million

Dunne 6 Million

Collins 5 Million

Beye 2 Million

Maths never been a strong point but puts into context how much we've spent to sort defence out! When you start adding Harewood, NRC, Sidwell, Heskey he pissed so much up the wall!

How could I forget Zat Knight? Christ.

I was also going to say 'How could I forget Nicky Shorey?' but, you know...

A lot players in the MON era got stick - Knight, Harewood, Heskey.

However Nicky Shorey was the shittest of the lot IMO. Conference player.

Knight 4 Million

Davies 10 Million

Cuellar 7.8Million

Young 6 Million

Shorey 4.5 Million

Warnock 8Million

Dunne 6 Million

Collins 5 Million

Beye 2 Million

Maths never been a strong point but puts into context how much we've spent to sort defence out! When you start adding Harewood, NRC, Sidwell, Heskey he pissed so much up the wall!

And to think he them got compensation! It should have been him compensating the club for the mess he made!

What about to the the chorus of eh margareta....

One tackle, two tackle, three tackle, more,

five tackle, six tackle, seven tackle, more

nine tackle, ten tackle, eleven tackle, score...Ellllll Ahmadi

the tune of what? :shock:

Knight 4 Million

Davies 10 Million

Cuellar 7.8Million

Young 6 Million

Shorey 4.5 Million

Warnock 8Million

Dunne 6 Million

Collins 5 Million

Beye 2 Million

And to think he them got compensation! It should have been him compensating the club for the mess he made!

So it becomes a slightly less absurd claim if you say it's money spent on the entire defence, not just Centre Backs!

And it turns out the "£50-60m" is, even on these inflated figures, rather nearer £50m on your own calculations.

Quite a few of the fees are undisclosed so it's just guesswork but compared with almost all public speculation about the fees, the list here is inflated by about £8m, so that's actually more like £45m.

And you're not netting off the money he got for selling Cahill Knight and Ridgewell, which would bring it down to the high £30ms.

Money spent by Randy Lerner in a situation where the defence that he inherited from Ellis contained 3 rookies, and was later hit by massive injuries to experienced players like Laursen, Davis and Bouma (and the departure of Mellberg).

So maybe when you think about that, spending around £10m a season on shoring up the defence wasn't so irresponsible? After all we did have a defence that, by MON's final season, was the 4th best in the premier league.

And MON didn't invent spending big on players. In 2010-11 we spent getting on for £30m to get 9th place and even last season spent around £13m to have a relegation battle.

Â