Day Z (PC)

NorthEastVillan

Kind of related to this thread, so I'll post this here;

Two developers, one from Bohemia Interactive (ArmA and DayZ) have been arrested in Greece on suspicion of espionage. Apparently, they were researching for ArmA III, which is to be set on a string of Greek islands, one of which is Lemnos. They were spotted photographing and videorecording a military instalation, and arrested. They face a potential of 20 years in clinky if found guilty. Oops.

It's not known if this will hinder the development of ArmA III, which is due for release next year, but you would guess it would.

• 1 year later...

The standalone alpha is on Steam Early Access now. Haven't got it yet but watching streams/videos really made me want to play it.

Has anyone got this yet? Be interested to see how it differs from the original mod.

I've watched the standalone on twitch a bit, seems stable, although the devs have purposely reduced the zombies in game to aid with that. Dunno if my pc could handle it adequately, though.

The standalone alpha is on Steam Early Access now. Haven't got it yet but watching streams/videos really made me want to play it.

Has anyone got this yet? Be interested to see how it differs from the original mod.

Been playing it a few days.

It''s very much a true alpha and I would say to anyone not sure about picking it up or perhaps trying DayZ for the first time - DON'T. What is there right now is enjoyable if you know what you're in for (testing the alpha having already played the mod) but its not even close to a finished game. Many of the major systems (loot and zombie spawning for example) have yet to be implemented. Optimisation is still to come too (increasing the number of zombies, loot etc). Up to this point, their main focus has been rewriting the server architecture and now the alpha is here to start building the gameplay with input from the alpha testers.

The inventory system is much improved and graphically, the game is noticeably better - there's too many changes to list in fact. It'll definitely evolve into something pretty special but that'll be months down the line.

So yeah, consider this a warning and save yourself from disappointment if you dive in expecting what the mod was.

Edit: If you do want to see it in action, I play it regularly on my twitch channel with friends. You can watch that here - http://www.twitch.tv/sievsdan

Edited by Sie

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a bit of this when it was a mod and thought it looked very fun. Does it take a really good PC to play or anything? I have only got a laptop. I'm not into having to play stuff on all the highest settings, I just want to be able to play it (I can play Battlefield 3 on here to give a point of reference).

800,000 copies sold in three weeks apparently.  Not bad for a game which is still in alpha and the developers are telling people not to buy unless they know what they are letting themselves in for. 

800,000 copies sold in three weeks apparently.  Not bad for a game which is still in alpha and the developers are telling people not to buy unless they know what they are letting themselves in for. 

It's a bit different to a normal Alpha though as alot of (/all) players would have already played the Mod of the game and would know that they were going to buy Day Z standalone anyway. Still, 800 K x €24 = ~ €15m - €20m. Not a bad little fund to work with.

Edited by villa89

im quite enjoying it, even if theres alot of bugs and kinks to work out still. i spent a bit over an hour getting the m4 and some nice kit, sat down where i thought i was safe to have a drink of water and a muppet comes from behind with an axe and cracked me in the head.. had a lil rage moment then.

never played a game thats so tense when you meet another player :) people dont trust anyone, i even got handcuffed by one guy hehe

cant wait until everything is implemented. the only thing that i dont like is when your trying to play with your friends and you spawn on two - three sides of the map, just to meet up there can be a good 20-30 minutes of just running and with some bad luck you can die on the way, guess its a part of the game!  the direct communication is a nice touch too.

pretty epic game

Â