Day Z (PC)

NorthEastVillan

Anyone had a chance to play this?

Was recommended it today and it looks absolutely amazing. You need to have ARMA II installed then download this free mod from here.

basically a zombie survival game played online. The more I see of it the better it looks.

Just wanted some feedback before I shell out for ARMA II on steam.

You need Arma II, Combined Operations, which is ARMA II plus the expansion, Operation Arrowhead. You can use the Arma II free edition and buy the expansion as normal, but beware the textures are much lower quality.

I've been playing for a while, and it's both the most enjoyable and the most infuriating gaming experience I've recently had. There's nothing quite as infuriating as building up a good number of supplies then being shot in the back by someone you didn't see for them to then loot your corpse. And then spawning in the middle of bloody nowhere.

A word of warning for anyone thinking of buying Arma just for the addon, while it's great fun, it is still in Alpha testing. It's being changed, fixed, and broken in new and interesting ways, on a regular basis. I highly recommend it, but if you're expecting a fully functioning, highly-polished game, don't bother.

As was mentioned whenever it was before on here, I would love to give it a go, but know my PC would make pretty hard work of ARMA II, so it probably wouldnt be worth it for me. I have a friend who plays it alot though, who has told me recently that, due to its increased popularity, there have been a lot more PKers which has made it kind of shitty.

Theres an fantastic Let's Play that I'll have to link when I get home, which is really really worth watching if you're interested in getting it. Shows off most of the features, think the only thing that's missing is vehicles which are in the game but not in this particular Let's Play.

What fascinated me the most from watching them was the paranoia about other players, not knowing whether or not other players you can see but can't communicate with are friendly or not. Also the blind panic when players run out of ammo and are chased by a pack of Zombies. Really wonderful premise. It'd make a cracking stand alone game, for sure.

As was mentioned whenever it was before on here, I would love to give it a go, but know my PC would make pretty hard work of ARMA II, so it probably wouldnt be worth it for me. I have a friend who plays it alot though, who has told me recently that, due to its increased popularity, there have been a lot more PKers which has made it kind of shitty.

What fascinated me the most from watching them was the paranoia about other players, not knowing whether or not other players you can see but can't communicate with are friendly or not. Also the blind panic when players run out of ammo and are chased by a pack of Zombies. Really wonderful premise. It'd make a cracking stand alone game, for sure.

The last week has been pretty painful, there's been an influx of dicks who play it like it's Battlefield or something.

It makes almsot everyone join in, which is the main problem. Previously there'd be a bit of a stand off, until you decided the other player was friendly (not sure why they couldn't communicate? there's voice and text chat, maybe it';s disabled on some servers). Now almost everyone just shoots on sight because there are so many PKers.

There's now (as of yesterday, I think) a "heartbeat" that speeds up when you hover over someone who has killed lots of players, which will hopefully calm things down a bit.

You need Arma II, Combined Operations, which is ARMA II plus the expansion, Operation Arrowhead. You can use the Arma II free edition and buy the expansion as normal, but beware the textures are much lower quality.

I've been playing for a while, and it's both the most enjoyable and the most infuriating gaming experience I've recently had. There's nothing quite as infuriating as building up a good number of supplies then being shot in the back by someone you didn't see for them to then loot your corpse. And then spawning in the middle of bloody nowhere.

A word of warning for anyone thinking of buying Arma just for the addon, while it's great fun, it is still in Alpha testing. It's being changed, fixed, and broken in new and interesting ways, on a regular basis. I highly recommend it, but if you're expecting a fully functioning, highly-polished game, don't bother.

Yeah I've been reading that it's still Alpha but if you can indeed just use the free ARMA 2 and just but the expansion (£14.99) it seems a decent experiment.

How easy is it to access servers to play a game?

after watching these videos I'm sold.

Accessing a server is pretty quick, the multiplayer lobby is decent.

I'd recommend using Six Launcher, which will install the mod for you (once you've got Arma: CO installed), automatically patch the game when there are new updates to both Arma and DayZ, and let's you join a server without even opening the game first.

Accessing a server is pretty quick, the multiplayer lobby is decent.

I'd recommend using Six Launcher, which will install the mod for you (once you've got Arma: CO installed), automatically patch the game when there are new updates to both Arma and DayZ, and let's you join a server without even opening the game first.

Thanks will definitely use that.

• 4 weeks later...

Got this yesterday in the Steam sale (Arma II Combined Operations) Looking forward to getting it installed and having a blast over the weekend.

After watching a few of the gameplay videos it looks like it's going to be quite the tense affair.

Loads of us at Rllmuk play it regularly using my mumble server. Feel free to join us Si.

The game has a steep learning curve and bugs o-plenty, mainly because of the ARMA engine, but its a poster child for emergent gaming. The wonderful scenarios and stories that evolve naturally as you play I think are why everyone is buzzing about the game.

I'm sure it will be brilliant once I get the actual mod to work. :|

***EDIT*** All sorted now. None of the servers would allow me to connect last night but this morning all seems fine.

The release of a new patch for it usually results in chaos with the game breaking spectacularly due to code issues, server issues or both. Right now probably isn't the best time to try and get to grips with it. In a few days a stable hotfix will probably appear.

Does it take a real good PC to play this? I've only got a pretty crappy laptop I think, shame because something like this does interest me. :(

*Sorry, I meant Jay Z.

If anyone has any interest in playing this mod, you might like to know that the current Steam sale has Arma II:Combined Ops (the games you need to play it) for £14.99.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been confirmed in the last couple of days that this is to be developed as a stand alone game. It will follow the 'Minecraft model' and be available at a discounted price for users of the current Alpha version.

• 4 weeks later...

The Idle Thumbs lads streamed this recently, I have been slowly watching through it in 20-30 minute installments.

Part 1 24:32)

Part 2 (2:08:42)

Part 3 (52:00)

The game looks great fun. Kinda wish I'd picked it up when everybody was playing it now.

Actually managed to survive over two hours the other night. It's such a different game to anything else out there at the moment, the risk/reward gameplay at it's core is seriously compelling. Once it hits home that you can't just simply run around everywhere, and you begin to take your time planning out where to go, sneaking into buildings to find something to help you survive (or an empty food tin as happened with me the other day) it really comes in to it's own.

Best mod ever?

Â