God

GaztonVilla

Are Eire contributing some €€ to the Olympics then ?

Why is the torch over there when many of us on the mainland won't get to see it

The UK Olympic Committee have very generously allowed the flame to make a visit to Ireland (Irish Republic) as a gesture of goodwill in the light of the peace agreement between Ireland and the UK, hence its little journey to Dublin.

Rest assured it will return from its brief detour to the UK very shortly.

How people can scratch their heads at such a neighbourly gesture I don't know.

"Mainland"? What "mainland" do you refer to, the Irish mainland or UK mainland?

I'd also like clarification on this....

Also, MGrath is a legend. Great childhood memories of him playing.

Just covered the torch carrying on SSN, no mention of God but made time to show Jedward. Pricks. Jedward too.

I guarantee you that if He'd played for Manyoo they'd have shown him...

Just covered the torch carrying on SSN, no mention of God but made time to show Jedward. Pricks. Jedward too.

Ammmm...

Ammmm...

Levi...you've.....you've malfunctioned.

My Guardian today describes him as "former Ireland international footballer Paul McGrath" but spoils the whole thing by publishing a massive picture bloody Jedward carrying the torch.

Despite attempts above to explain the torch's trip to Dublin, I am still a bit confused. The 2012 website has two statements:

We are delighted to be taking the Olympic Flame to Dublin. This gives us an historic opportunity to recognise sporting talent from across the Republic of Ireland.
The Olympic Flame coming south to Dublin shows the importance of sport in building bridges for peace and a recognition of the all-island composition of Team Ireland as it goes for gold at the London Olympic Games.
So does the Republic of Ireland Olympic Team claim it represents the whole of Ireland including the North? Sounds a bit incendiary to me.

My Guardian today describes him as "former Ireland international footballer Paul McGrath" but spoils the whole thing by publishing a massive picture bloody Jedward carrying the torch.

Despite attempts above to explain the torch's trip to Dublin, I am still a bit confused. The 2012 website has two statements:

We are delighted to be taking the Olympic Flame to Dublin. This gives us an historic opportunity to recognise sporting talent from across the Republic of Ireland.
The Olympic Flame coming south to Dublin shows the importance of sport in building bridges for peace and a recognition of the all-island composition of Team Ireland as it goes for gold at the London Olympic Games.
So does the Republic of Ireland Olympic Team claim it represents the whole of Ireland including the North? Sounds a bit incendiary to me.

In a way yes. Someone born in Northern Ireland qualifies for a UK passport and a Republic of Ireland Passport so they can elect to represent GB and NI Team or the Ireland Team.

Someone said to me they had qualified for the Olympic Trials and I was thinking hang on your not that fast and realised they meant the Irish Olympic Trials.

Same for football. My son can decide to represent either England (due to his father being English i.e. Me), Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland. Lots of examples currently of Kids coming up through the NI Football system to jump to represent the Republic.

I could be wrong here but...

Great Britain is an island comprising England, Scotland, and Wales.

The United Kingdom is made up of the island of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland.

Great Britain competes at the Olympics - The United Kingdom does not...

Therefore, Northern Ireland AND Eire compete as Ireland...

Maybe? Dunno...

There is no Rep of Ireland Olympic team. Just like there is no Northern Ireland Olympic team. Just one team for the island of Ireland.

Interesting - never realised that. So there is an olympic team for the island of Ireland but athletes from Northern Ireland compete as part of the Great Britain team.

That's as clear as mud but an issue probably best left to snooze.

Still doesn't really explain why the Olympic torch went to Dublin but I'm sure everyone in Dublin enjoyed seeing McGrath carrying it!

The United Kingdom is made up of the island of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland.

Maybe? Dunno...

No, the UK competes at the Olympics, so that includes Northern Ireland.

Maybe? Dunno...

but Northern Irish people can declare for Ireland team like Wayne McCullough for example. Its a pretty complex situation

Did the torch make it to Belfast or Londonderry

Still unclear why it went through the capital of a foreign country

Since the torch comes from Greece when it hits London it will be a foreign city too ;)

Maybe? Dunno...

but Northern Irish people can declare for Ireland team like Wayne McCullough for example. Its a pretty complex situation

Yes I know but people from Northern Ireland can choose to represent the UK as well, therefore the UK is represented at the Olympics.

It's Great Britain or, more lately (and more regrettably in my view), "Team GB".

But it does include NI (when NI residents aren't choosing to compete for the team for the island of Ireland) and the fact that NI isn't mention in the GB title has caused some upset in some communities in NI, I believe.

So that's all clear as mud.

Â