All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

I got into an argument with street evangelists. I know I shouldn't, but sometimes I just can't resist it.

Usual stuff - "It's in the Bible, so it must be true", "The world is complex so it must have been designed", "I used to be a drug addict, but Jesus spoke to me", "Catholics are not Christians (only WE are)", etc., etc.

They prayed for me and assured me that Jesus would be coming into my life in the next week or so. I said I'd pop back and let them know how he got on.

Until I am ex-communicated I guess I am still a catholic on paper, and it bugs me now, even as an infidel, when all these splinter branches say that Catholics aren't christians. (We :D ) were the originals and everything since is a diluted version .

Until I am ex-communicated I guess I am still a catholic on paper, and it bugs me now, even as an infidel, when all these splinter branches say that Catholics aren't christians. (We :D ) were the originals and everything since is a diluted version .

So you're a paper atheo-papist. Or should that be paper papo-atheist? Perhaps paper agnosto-papist or even paper papo-agnostic.

So you're an atheo-papist. Or should that be papo-atheist? Perhaps agnosto-papist or even papo-agnostic.

I have moved on to better things but still have a soft spot for my old club :winkold:

Quakers.

I think they are rather grand.

There, I said it.

this (especially of the unprogrammed variety).

If I had to describe myself, I'd go Quaker/Episcopalian with a personal philosophy heavily influenced by Freemasonry (e.g. by being killed and resurrected, though that terminology is not ideal, but close enough).

About ten years I posted a rough credo... I've refined it from there, but I can't be arsed to defend it (perhaps because it's inherently indefensible...).

(We :D ) were the originals

That's not true, you know that ;)

For the first 1,000 years after Christ there were only Catholics, then there was a split into Roman Catholics and Orthodox . There was no Jesus fan club before the Catholics.

About ten years I posted a rough credo... I've refined it from there, but I can't be arsed to defend it (perhaps because it's inherently indefensible...).

Those who believe that there is no God in any way shape or form will find me a threat to their tenuous system of [dis]belief.

:crylaugh:

For the first 1,000 years after Christ there were only Catholics, then there was a split into Roman Catholics and Orthodox . There was no Jesus fan club before the Catholics.

Were the first Christians (you know, chaps during the time of Paul) Catholics?

I presume they would have considered themselves Jews.

Yes and no...It's semantics really.

The very early followers of Jesus were for all intents and purposes "katholik" (universal) christians.

I doubt that the very first followers ( The initial weeks/months/years after the alleged death)of Jesus actually labelled themselves at all to be honest but the very first organised church was most certainly Catholic.

Christianity is the overarching multi-denominational tag. Catholicism is a specific sect. Therefore Christianity predates, but also includes, Catholicism.

Christianity was the religion that was started by Jesus Christ on the rock of Peter, the Apostle, who was the first Pope, and thus His Vicar on earth. The early Fathers of the Church first used the word "Catholic" (Katholik) to describe this Church because the word catholic means universal, and thus the Catholic religion and the Christian religion are the same thing.

Paul et al were catholic but they just didn't know it at the time is my view .

Not that it really matters though as it's all made up bollocks to help people with their fear of dying .

Not that it really matters though as it's all made up bollocks to help people with their fear of dying .

Nothing living is born with a fear of dying, just like nothing is born with a fear of what happened before it was born.

Religion teaches that both are something to fear.

I got into an argument with street evangelists. I know I shouldn't, but sometimes I just can't resist it.

Usual stuff - "It's in the Bible, so it must be true", "The world is complex so it must have been designed", "I used to be a drug addict, but Jesus spoke to me", "Catholics are not Christians (only WE are)", etc., etc.

They prayed for me and assured me that Jesus would be coming into my life in the next week or so. I said I'd pop back and let them know how he got on.

Exactly what I told him (yes, I found myself defending the Catholic church - if only in the interests of historical accuracy). But I soon realised I was wasting my breath - he had NO understanding of history, or science, or philosophy, just a wild-eyed stare and a conviction that he was filled with the Holy Spirit. An emotionally disturbed basket case in other words.

No evidence of mermaids, says US government

There is no evidence that mermaids exist, a US government scientific agency has said.

The National Ocean Service made the unusual declaration in response to public inquiries following a TV show on the mythical creatures.

It is thought some viewers may have mistaken the programme for a documentary.

"No evidence of aquatic humanoids has ever been found," the service wrote in an online post.

The National Ocean Service posted an article last week on its educational website, Ocean Facts.

Images and tales of mermaids - half-human, half-fish - appear in mythology and art from across the world and through history, from Homer's Odyssey to the oral lore of the Australian aboriginals, the service wrote.

The article was written from publicly available sources because "we don't have a mermaid science programme", National Ocean Service spokeswoman Carol Kavanagh told the BBC.

She said that at least two people had written to the agency asking about the creatures.

The inquiries followed May's broadcast of Mermaids: The Body Found, on the Discovery Channel's Animal Planet network.

The programme was a work of fiction but its wink-and-nod format apparently led some viewers to believe it was a science education show, the Discovery Channel has acknowledged.

BBC

Perhaps now they'll own up about God by the same logic?

Nothing living is born with a fear of dying, just like nothing is born with a fear of what happened before it was born.

Religion teaches that both are something to fear.

:suspect:

People sure must look different in Singapore...
To be fair there's a few of them over here too. I think I snogged one very late in a nightclub once.

So another name for manatee might be a '3 a.m. bird'.

Â