General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

I'm with BOF. I understand MM says he knows more than any others but all Kendrick seems to have done is report a few things after it's mostly broken anyway. Mat's a nice guy but I'm not all that impressed to be honest.

What worries me if MK has been deliberately manipulated to keep the intrigue going right up to and after the ST renewal date and just after..... only for another appointment to be made that the fans will not be happy with.

However I'm pretty certain the club must surely have learned their lesson from last Summer and they've simply kept their options open.

kin embarrassing if we're chasing the Norwich manager

Good luck to norwich, i hope he stays put

You won't be happy unless we unveil Mourinho.

Laudrup

Benitez

Klinsmann

Let's be realistic now. At best I'd say, based on our squad and past few seasons, we'd be lucky to be rated in the top 10 of the Premier League. Also our stock in Europe is almost 0 due to lack of European football. The above 3 would probably respond with "Aston who?"

On that logic so would the current crop of BYT's - Lambert, Bob M & Rodgers

Laudrup

Benitez

Klinsmann

Don't get me wrong any of these would be great. But i also wouldn't knock Lambert or Martinez.

Laudrup

Benitez

Klinsmann

Let's be realistic now. At best I'd say, based on our squad and past few seasons, we'd be lucky to be rated in the top 10 of the Premier League. Also our stock in Europe is almost 0 due to lack of European football. The above 3 would probably respond with "Aston who?"

The point being we are not in any position to just turn up and say "we're Aston Villa sign this contract" Out stock has dropped dramatically over the last few years. We need to sell the club to managers and doing that to the likes of Laudrup and Klinsman would involve monumental amounts of money. With all due respect we can however offer a better job to a manager coming from Norwich, Swansea or Wigan.

Not sure we can as these guys have been hyped up beyond their ability

See Martinez 12 months ago turn us down as an example, then um and ar over Dippers job. Its quite comical

Laudrup

Benitez

Klinsmann

They are not going to happen sorry.

They are also are not what Villa need.

Villa need a young, keen to impress manager. Someone who will strip the club down, start from scratch building quality foundations.

These 'names' might be like an exciting quick fix, but i doubt they would be round long enough to really execute the root/branch change Villa need.

Nice tweet from a Liverpool fan about Lambert...championing him for their vacancy.

"Paul Lambert never lost 2 games in a row last season which is a good sign. He has vast exp, has won the CL and can play several formations!"

Not only do I think he would come to us should we make a concrete offer, I think he'd seriously consider at least 17 other sides in the division too.

That's not a dig at Norwich, who I am quite fond of dating back to the old First Division days. But clubs like Olbiyun are way ahead of them now revenue wise, and would probably provide him with a better opportunity to progress. West Ham- if Fat Sam has a bad start- could be looking at a new manager, Southampton have decent financial backing and so on and so forth.

Let's not forget, the core of that Norwich side was with them in the third tier not so long back. And their best player last season was a jobbing, journeyman CF who had the season of his life. PL would have to ask himself can he realistically get a similar reaction from that squad of players again this season. That would seem to depend heavily on continued good form from an aging forward (and isn't Morison 29/30 too?) to get them the goals they need, as -even in a season where Norwich exceeded expectations- their defence was suspect, shipping 60+ goals.

The romantic in me would like to see him stay there and re establish Norwich in the topflight. But Lambert -like MON- seems to be a political animal. It's unlikely sentiment will come into it when he feels the time is right to jump. It didn't at Colchester.

That was 3 long years ago mate, and I'm pleased you seem to know our budget......because sure as hell we don't!

Not sure we can as these guys have been hyped up beyond their ability

See Martinez 12 months ago turn us down as an example, then um and ar over Dippers job. Its quite comical

As has the job at Villa to be fair. Many managers could now view it as a poison chalice given what happened to Houllier and McLeish. It's quite obviously gonna be a hell of a job for whoever comes in to just get us firing again.

Why does it matter where the manager comes from? I'm not a huge fan of Lambert but it seems all you care about is that they're a name and that the club they come from is big. If Lambert was manager of a top club you'd be all over him.

Nice tweet from a Liverpool fan about Lambert...championing him for their vacancy.

"Paul Lambert never lost 2 games in a row last season which is a good sign. He has vast exp, has won the CL and can play several formations!"

Is that part talking about him not losing two in a row while managing Norwich?

As I've said, I really don't want Lambert at all, really doesnt isnpire me, shit he even kinda looks like Oneill in some photos, we don't need a bland miserable git right now, we need a young inspiring manager who can bring an overall feel good factor back, and who will be creative in the transfer market. This is not Lambert.

Laudrup

Benitez

Klinsmann

They are not going to happen sorry.

They are also are not what Villa need.

Villa need a young, keen to impress manager. Someone who will strip the club down, start from scratch building quality foundations.

These 'names' might be like an exciting quick fix, but i doubt they would be round long enough to really execute the root/branch change Villa need.

Im pretty sure the Academy and Reserves aren't that bad.....!!!

I hope Norwich keep Lambert and Wigan keep Martinez. Both are about as exciting as BBC4.

I would have Lambert or Martinez and then watch BBC4, which is clearly one of the best options for a tv station. In fact, all these three things are clearly good options to a sensible human being :)

Laudrup

Benitez

Klinsmann

The point being we are not in any position to just turn up and say "we're Aston Villa sign this contract" Out stock has dropped dramatically over the last few years. We need to sell the club to managers and doing that to the likes of Laudrup and Klinsman would involve monumental amounts of money. With all due respect we can however offer a better job to a manager coming from Norwich, Swansea or Wigan.

Whilst I can see the point you are making, isn't Laudrup out of work? IF and it's a very big IF he was interested in continuing with his management development a role at a decent sized English club like ourselves may be seen as a perfect step back into management. Not that I think we will get him, but I could see why if offered the role he would take it under serious consideration. The point re Klinsman is very valid.

I hope Norwich keep Lambert and Wigan keep Martinez. Both are about as exciting as BBC4.

I would have Lambert or Martinez and then watch BBC4, which is clearly one of the best options for a tv station. It's basically the only one not dumbed down! In fact, all these three things are clearly good options to a sensible human being :)

This. Best channel on TV.

Dunno about Lambert and Martinez though. :?

I just couldn't take the post match interviews with Lambert, a dour Scot bemoaning our missing defence at set pieces.

As for Bobby M, he just comes over like a waiter struggling to understand what you ordered for starters

I just couldn't take the post match interviews with Lambert, a dour Scot bemoaning our missing defence at set pieces.

As for Bobby M, he just comes over like a waiter struggling to understand what you ordered for starters

That's a very logically sound argument you've got there.

Not only do I think he would come to us should we make a concrete offer, I think he'd seriously consider at least 17 other sides in the division too.

That's not a dig at Norwich, who I am quite fond of dating back to the old First Division days. But clubs like Olbiyun are way ahead of them now revenue wise, and would probably provide him with a better opportunity to progress. West Ham- if Fat Sam has a bad start- could be looking at a new manager, Southampton have decent financial backing and so on and so forth.

Let's not forget, the core of that Norwich side was with them in the third tier not so long back. And their best player last season was a jobbing, journeyman CF who had the season of his life. PL would have to ask himself can he realistically get a similar reaction from that squad of players again this season. That would seem to depend heavily on continued good form from an aging forward (and isn't Morison 29/30 too?) to get them the goals they need, as -even in a season where Norwich exceeded expectations- their defence was suspect, shipping 60+ goals.

The romantic in me would like to see him stay there and re establish Norwich in the topflight. But Lambert -like MON- seems to be a political animal. It's unlikely sentiment will come into it when he feels the time is right to jump. It didn't at Colchester.

That was 3 long years ago mate, and I'm pleased you seem to know our budget......because sure as hell we don't!

You're absolutely right Wiz, I don't know your budget.

But didn't Lambert say in your promotion season that most of your players were poorly paid even by Championship standards? And didn't he say last season that there were longstanding financial constraints hanging over the club from before his time as manager?

So what's changed?