Is there too much gambling sponsorship in football?

Holte139

Is there too much gambling sponsorship in football?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is there too much gambling sponsorship in football?

• Yes
    • No

I think this is an interesting question to ask. I'm going to say that yes there is, considering the danger that's associated with addiction to excessive gambling. Imagine that your child self is attending a match with your dad, or brother etc, and during the course of pre-match, you see an in-stadium betting shop, betting adverts in the programme, two kits sponsored by gambling companies (like Villa V Bolton), and gambling-sponsored billboards around the ground. The subliminal advertising might be coming across just that little bit too strong for those who could be influenced the most I feel.

Apologies, what I meant to say there was that the messages it sends out to children are dangerous because it is subliminal (IMO) in the sense that seeing lots of it may help them to think that gambling is good or, worse, without consequence.

None of that really bothers me, what does is the SSN, talksport, Skybet gambling racket, particularly talksports recent tendency to advertise in-play odds as part of the match commentary.

It's even more explicit in Australia. Even the regular TV commentators work the betting odds into their commentary of the game as events change.

Loads of kids grow up watching their heros and knowing how and when to bet on them.

None of that really bothers me, what does is the SSN, talksport, Skybet gambling racket, particularly talksports recent tendency to advertise in-play odds as part of the match commentary.

It's even more explicit in Australia. Even the regular TV commentators work the betting odds into their commentary of the game as events change.

Loads of kids grow up watching their heros and knowing how and when to bet on them.

Exactly, but if those kids haven't been taught how to gamble responsibly, or about the dangers of gambling addiction, is that right?

TalkSPORT are very good at that too.

No particular problem for me. Whether to have a flutter or not is totally down to individual choice. People who want to will, people who don't won't. I cant think of a single advert where I've specifically changed my behaviour as a result.

For example.... our Sponsorship by Muller didn't result in an increased consumption of Fruit Corners.....

I never listen to Talksport these days. I could just about handle 20 minutes of every hour being adverts. It was the final straw when they started quoting odds during commentary.

For example.... our Sponsorship by Muller didn't result in an increased consumption of Fruit Corners.....

I think it probably did. Pretty much no-one had heard of Müller before that. A league cup win over the "greatest team in the world" probably helped their brand awareness campaign a lot. I'd be surprised if the Müller brand campaign in the UK isn't taught to people as an example of how to do it.

Â